2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Added driving lights

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 04:31 AM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts
Default Added driving lights

I'm blind as a bat at night, so I added a pair of driving lights. $50 total. That said, I had to put 3 full turns into the top adjusters to get the headlights flat, so that probably didnt help me not seeing things. Also found out my left fog light is full of water, and both are yellowed out badlly, and thus next to useless. Those are my project for next week.

Since I'm 2WD, I dont have the transfer case controller under the vent, just a blank spaceholder. So I took some thick sheetmetal, and crafted up a 3 switch panel. I just had to cut the back out of the blank so the connectors would all fit.

Right now only the bottom switch is active (lights), I'm sure I'll find a use for the other 2 switches sometime.

Last edited by magnethead; 12-10-2010 at 04:36 AM.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:08 PM
magnethead
Legend
Old 12-10-2010, 10:39 PM
Blaze10
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very nice

Old 12-10-2010, 11:02 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice I was going to do something similar but I decided to go for hid fog lights heck 40.00 cant beat it!!

Old 12-10-2010, 11:27 PM
magnethead
Legend

Originally Posted by dodgeramguy85
Nice I was going to do something similar but I decided to go for hid fog lights heck 40.00 cant beat it!!
do our fog lights come apart? Both of mine probably have 3/4" of water just standing in them. That's why only the right fog shows on the garage door and that it's angled, because the left one is pretty much solid yellow + water and the right has water in it (not yellowed as badly). The headlights are Silverstar Ultras.

Were your fog's OEM replacement or did you have to fab mounts?

Old 12-10-2010, 11:36 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by magnethead
do our fog lights come apart? Both of mine probably have 3/4" of water just standing in them. That's why only the right fog shows on the garage door and that it's angled, because the left one is pretty much solid yellow + water and the right has water in it (not yellowed as badly). The headlights are Silverstar Ultras.

Were your fog's OEM replacement or did you have to fab mounts?
I dont think ours do but the kit im getting just replaces the bulbs and you can keep the stock housing

Old 12-10-2010, 11:38 PM
magnethead
Legend

Originally Posted by dodgeramguy85
I dont think ours do but the kit im getting just replaces the bulbs and you can keep the stock housing
that's why I'm wondering how the water got in. I can only assume the lens seperated from the housing. At which point I could open it, drain, clean, and silicone closed.

So it just connects to the factory wiring, goes through the transformer, and you plug the HID bulbs to the OEM housing? Do you have a link? Thanks.

Old 12-11-2010, 12:02 AM
magnethead
Legend

it hasn't melted your housings or anything? What would be a good way to clean out the inside of the lens, just unbolt it and swab from the bulb opening?

Old 12-11-2010, 12:03 AM
blown 346
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by magnethead
that's why I'm wondering how the water got in. I can only assume the lens seperated from the housing. At which point I could open it, drain, clean, and silicone closed.

So it just connects to the factory wiring, goes through the transformer, and you plug the HID bulbs to the OEM housing? Do you have a link? Thanks.

Have you checked the Seal of the actual fog light? The rubber will dry out and get rock hard. Thats enough to let water in. Or check the husing for any cracks in front and behind.

As for HID's in the fogs and or low beams
. Yes the bulbs for both just go right in like a normal bulb. Took me 15 minutes to install.

I spent $75 for the low beams and the fogs shipped.

sellers name. wyntis

Fogs only...

Fogs and Headlights.

Old 12-11-2010, 12:03 AM
magnethead
Legend

it hasn't melted your housings or anything? What would be a good way to clean out the inside of the lens, just unbolt it and swab from the bulb opening? I have the silverstars so no immediate need to deal with the lows. I don't THINK I'm that blind....although i noticed a marked difference driving with all 6 lamps turned on, on the way home tonight.

If i went to HID FOg, the 6500K is what I'd want. the 8 and 10's are too blue for me. Yours are the 8000K i'm guessing? Where did you mount the ballast? This kit? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/XENON...item3cab62741d and our default fogs are 898 correct?

Last edited by magnethead; 12-11-2010 at 12:19 AM.

Quick Reply: Added driving lights