2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Bumper Covers

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 09:21 PM
dirtbiker
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bumper Covers

Hello, I need to replace my bumper cover. Will a bumper cover off of a 98 Dakota will fit on an 02 Dakota? Thanks

Old 12-13-2010, 10:31 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Front or rear?

Old 12-13-2010, 10:40 PM
dirtbiker
Captain

Sorry I forgot. It's the front one. I'm gonna try to bend the actual bumper back but the cover is cracked and bent. I haven't seen it in daylight yet but have looked online already and found a 98 dak at a local junkyard, this is an 02.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:44 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

shold work. I have a 98 bumper assy on my 01. FYI depending how badly it's bent, you might get the plastic to go back. When I nailed a stop sign dead center, it went all the way in and bent my AC condensor. We hooked a tow rope around the bumer through the grille, to the ram. I held my brake on the floor and dad went on the classic running start to snap the rope tight. Took 3 pulls, but it eventally straightened out enough we could examine the damage to the condensor and radiator.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:52 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtbiker
Sorry I forgot. It's the front one. I'm gonna try to bend the actual bumper back but the cover is cracked and bent. I haven't seen it in daylight yet but have looked online already and found a 98 dak at a local junkyard, this is an 02.
Yeah should work out fine.

Old 12-14-2010, 04:33 PM
dirtbiker
Captain

Thanks magnethead. We are gonna try to pull it and get it more drivable (it is already but fan is hitting on something when first started). Then once its spring or warmer I'll check the yard, its like 12 degrees here and hard to work on a truck outside.

Old 12-14-2010, 08:29 PM
magnethead
Legend

Thanks magnethead. We are gonna try to pull it and get it more drivable (it is already but fan is hitting on something when first started). Then once its spring or warmer I'll check the yard, its like 12 degrees here and hard to work on a truck outside.
It's your radiator shroud, mine hit too. Apparently the toleraces are tight somewhere. If nothign else, just take sheet metal shears and/or jigsaw and/or sawzall and clearance as needed.

Old 12-14-2010, 09:22 PM
dirtbiker
Captain

We just hooked it up to some tow hooks on another truck, and pulled it. It actually pulled out about an inch and a half or 2 inches. That also caused the fan hit to stop (spun it by hand earlier and discovered what you were talking about). Last thing to do is get some more clearance by the front wheels, the bumper kind of pushed back a little and is rubbing when the wheel is turned. It's hard to explain, but I'll update as work continues.

Old 12-14-2010, 09:25 PM
magnethead
Legend

We just hooked it up to some tow hooks on another truck, and pulled it. It actually pulled out about an inch and a half or 2 inches. That also caused the fan hit to stop (spun it by hand earlier and discovered what you were talking about). Last thing to do is get some more clearance by the front wheels, the bumper kind of pushed back a little and is rubbing when the wheel is turned. It's hard to explain, but I'll update as work continues.
I know exactly the process you're going through, lol. Glad I could help some. Yea, both of my inner fenders cracked from the bumper deforming. Unless the edge of the actual bumper is hitting the tire, i wouldnt worry about it. It won't hurt anything for the tire to rub the inner fender. There are some pegs on the end of the lower bumper that go through holes in the inner fender and keep them nice and lined up. Might double check those as well.

Old 12-14-2010, 09:43 PM
dirtbiker
Captain

The one right under the plastic is split in the middle but we kind of pulled it back together. Do you think it will hold up until like March or so? And yeah, it sucks just got some fog lights mounted NOT in the stock holes, 1 of the lenses is cracked now but it still works. Then the only other victim was the air horn, the lower one snapped off. Oh yeah then the grille and the hood is just slightly dented towards the center.

Quick Reply: Bumper Covers