2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Can you program key fob without oringinal???????

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 08:43 PM
Robert Meadors
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Programing new key fob with the original

Ive tryed to program the second key fob just like the service manual instrucks. But the last part sayes you will hear a chime when finnished. No chime. Key fob not operational brand new with new batterys. I folowed the service manuals instructions. ?? It also talks about a drb iii do i need one

Old 03-14-2012, 01:59 AM
pascalwilli

I think locksmith will do that.You should call local car locksmith.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:56 AM
Amery

I thinks the best way In such case when all keys are lost i always recommend the licensed locksmith to replace a new key,.
Because i thinks only licensed locksmiths are better to replace a new key,
Whats your idea,.?

-------------
locksmith brooklyn

Last edited by Amery; 07-30-2012 at 06:19 AM.
Old 12-08-2014, 06:16 PM
mookii1024
Default just a thought or 2

Originally Posted by 2000DakotaQuad
I called the dealer and verified by vin number that my dakota has keyless entry then went ahead and bought one on Ebay. My issue is I didnt notice in the instructions for programming that the "original" key fob is needed. I never got the key fob when I bought this dakota and if I can get around paying the 57.00 fee the dealer wants to program this that would be great. Any thoughts?????????
I have recently seen videos on YouTube about reprogamming keyless entry key fobs so you don't have to pay the dealership THAT price. I have seen it as high as $700. which is why I checked in the 1st place.
Also, check on Craigslist in/near your city as I saw a guy advrtising

Old 12-08-2014, 07:12 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Hi Mookil,

Welcome to the forum.

Just a heads up, that post you were looking at is over 2 1/2 years old.

Old 08-25-2015, 04:58 PM
rusorubles

I am located in New York and the dealers here are beyond expensive. I went to a locksmith company in Queens named Armor they did it for me in about 1/2 an hour for about half the price the dealer charged. I would suggest looking for locksmiths in your city.

Old 02-11-2018, 05:36 PM
BernieJr9

Originally Posted by 01SilverCC
Check out this post from one of our Mods here:

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...e-program.html

Please let us know whether it works.

Jimmy
there is no pin 1 to ground out to pin 4. Pin 1 is empty.

03 dakota here but even the image shows pin 1 is unused....... soooo whats grounding to set up for program mode

Old 06-10-2018, 06:22 PM
ramowner2003
Default yes you can

Recently purchased a 03 Dodge no remote. Oreily has remote with programmer plug for $90. Super easy and it works.

Old 06-16-2018, 01:51 AM
Elle O
Default Doesnt have to be original but working....without it, a locksmith is your best option

Originally Posted by 2000DakotaQuad
I called the dealer and verified by vin number that my dakota has keyless entry then went ahead and bought one on Ebay. My issue is I didnt notice in the instructions for programming that the "original" key fob is needed. I never got the key fob when I bought this dakota and if I can get around paying the 57.00 fee the dealer wants to program this that would be great. Any thoughts?????????
You don't need to go to a dealership to have your fob programmed but a professional locksmith IS REQUIRED if the original is not available. They are MUCH cheaper than any dealership when programming is needed. The issue is, if you dont have at least 1 working key fob then a special tool is needed to scan the codes for programming a new one. Most dealerships charge ridiculous prices but I got my fob on eBay for $8 and then paid my local locksmith $35 for programming costS...which was amazing compared to the $115 that 3 different dealerships had quoted me in my area. It took only about 20 mins to complete then I was locking and unlocking my car without my key. I recommend buying 2 fobs at once..paying for one to be programmed and then program the second yourself in case you need it....having an extra is always handy so this fee doesnt become habit.

Old 10-09-2019, 10:51 AM
BrandonNicole

You are wrong, if you don't have original then contact dealer otherwise you can take help from any locksmith.

Quick Reply: Can you program key fob without oringinal???????