2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

hit big rock, how bad is it???

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010 | 08:01 PM
2daks
|
Professional
Default hit big rock, how bad is it???

I know this is all speculation without pix but it's 17 degrees and dark right now. So anyone have advice on what to check when we do get a chance?

My son slid off the road last night in his 97 DaK and hit a big landscaping rock in someones yard. It blew the passenger side tire and peeled back the outside lip of his Crager soft 8. Pushed the 5 month old replacement bumper in about 3 inches into the wheel well. Air bags went off too.
He's OK but pretty bummed as we spent all summer restoring his truck. Don't have full coverage so this will be out of pocket.

When I got there and helped him put the spare on I noticed it was a little worse than we thought. His passenger side hub is pushed back a few inches and its angled out about 10-15 degrees when the driver side is straight. I did a quick look in the 11 degree weather and saw the torsion bar had a bend in in too. Didn't see any fluids leaking anywhere around the front axle.
So I'm thinking new Crager rim and tire, bumper bar and valance, two new bags, upper and/or lower control arms, ball joints, torsion bar, maybe passenger side axle shaft. Anything else to add to the list? Alignment when done. Rotor and hub looked ok when we changed tire.
A quick look around Ebay and a few auto parts sites is around 6-800 for parts so far.

Managed to drive it the mile or so home so it's sitting outside awaiting it's fate.
I'll try to post some pix when I can get some daylight to work with.

Old 12-14-2010 | 08:03 PM
thunder98110
Champion

well with the airbags deployed insurance will most likely total it.

Old 12-14-2010 | 08:25 PM
magnethead
Legend

Originally Posted by thunder98110
well with the airbags deployed insurance will most likely total it.
unfortunately

Old 12-15-2010 | 08:38 PM
2daks
|
Professional

Unfortunately there is only collision coverage on the truck so insurance is not in the picture. Kids a typical broke college student. I figure even a few grand into the truck is cheaper than buying another with an unknown history. One thing about these trucks is there are alot of donor vehicles around and aftermarket parts are reasonable.
I've seen salvage airbags for 50-100 apiece. Is it as simple as replacing the module or are there sensors / modules that will need replaced?
A couple of local driveway mechanics say it might be tie rods just banged up and maybe a control arm. I definately did see a slight bow in the torsion bar but am wondering if that will straighten out once the parts up front are removed to relieve the pressure?
I'm sure some of the off roaders out there have seen this happen to a truck. Basicly just clipped a big rock on the passenger side a wee bit too hard.

Old 12-15-2010 | 09:19 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion

Only thing bad about that is a hit like that can damage a lot more than you think and dont relize it until you start fixing and looking at the truck.

Old 06-17-2011 | 02:29 PM
2daks
|
Professional

Ok, it's been a while but we got the truck back from the frame shop. New upper and lower control arms, replaced both shocks $600 work done at frame shop w/ parts.

Bought a new bumper bar and under cowl piece and wheel well liner for $200, pianted with the same black Rustoleum truckbed liner as before. ($15 dollar harbor freight Paint gun )

Took it to the alignment shop and they said both inner and outer tie rods plus steering nuckle on passenger side needs replaced.

I can get both air bags, module and the nuckle from Marshalls in OH for around $200. Great and resonable salvage yard. Good guys there.

Any recommendations on tie rods? Any tips for getting everything apart and back together sucessfully?

Above work, state inspection and she's back on the road for around $1500.

Old 06-17-2011 | 04:21 PM
moparman_2004
All Star

moog are always good parts

Old 06-19-2011 | 08:53 PM
2daks
|
Professional

Yeah i was thinking MOOG too. Good middle of road price point. Just hope I can get the new ball joints seperated from knuckle with out tearing up boots. Any tricks to try here?

Old 06-19-2011 | 09:02 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame

How fast was he going? That sounds like a lot of damage for an average street speed. 30-40mph.

Old 06-19-2011 | 09:43 PM
2daks
|
Professional

Slid on ice off road so it's hard to tell. ( like he would tell me anyway) He said he didn't have it in 4WD because he didn't slide in the driveway. I said yeah you weren't going 40 MPH in the driveway either with 3 inches of snow on the road. 19 years old, what does dad know?? LIFE LESSON here.
I feel bad though because he was doing us a favor and picking his sister up from gymastics practice. luckily he was on way to her and not back home.

On a different note how do I tell what size stab bar is on the truck 33mm or 28mm? it's a 4x4 sport excab. So I'm thinking beefier of the two. Might as well do the bushings while we have half the front end tore apart.
I have build sheet but it doesn't specify and the shop manual shows a paper tag on the bar sure that was worn off years ago.

Quick Reply: hit big rock, how bad is it???