2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Is it possible to disable ABS? I hate it!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 03:01 PM
stampede 04
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it possible to disable ABS? I hate it!!

My 04 has anti-lock brakes and I freakin hate it. I'm not sure it's operating correctly because they way I see it, it is a danger feature more than a safety feature. A few times when I had to stop short in traffic the stupid ABS wouldn't let me stop as quicky as I wanted to and I nearly rearended people. Had I not had the ABS, I'm positive I would have stopped sooner. How is this better??? What happened to when we were actually in control of our own vehicles?? Between that and the auto trans in the truck that shifts into neutral when you punch the gas, I feel like I am not in full control of my vehicle. Still love the truck though. Maybe a standard trans conversion in the future.

Old 12-23-2010, 03:23 PM
dakota_raven
Record Breaker

Get slotted/dimpled rotors and better pads. You will stop sooner!!!

Old 12-23-2010, 05:02 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Pull the fuse you will get a abs light on the dash tho.

Old 12-23-2010, 06:12 PM
stampede 04
Rookie

would you happen to know off hand what fuse it is? Is the fuse for anything else? Will it make the check engine light come on if I remove the fuse? Thanks

Old 12-23-2010, 06:51 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I couldnt tell you I havent had any problems with my brakes they always stop good for me so no need for me to pull the abs fuse. Magnethead on here pulled his in his 01(I think) and said it was fine other than abs light was on.

Old 12-27-2010, 11:29 PM
2002dakotakid
Rookie

how do you know its your abs messing you up cause i have an 02 dak and i recently just got new brakes and i thought it was the abs for a while cause when i braked it liked to jerk like lots of pressure and then not as much kinda making it jerk hard a rough stop but i did my research and thought bout it and went back to auto class training and i needed new pads and rotors cause the rotors were warped like a son bit@$ and they mechanic said he was surprised i had been driving on them at all is how bad they were so may want to have them check that before getting rid of one of your safety features that may not be the issue just an idea may save you an accident

Old 12-27-2010, 11:46 PM
bpark8824
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know if the OP's has 4 wheel abs, but mine has just rear abs and I like it a lot. My mom's Volvo S60 has ridiculous abs. You just rest your foot on the brake and the abs goes off if you're on snow. I hate it. I'm so glad my truck only has rear abs. I never have had a problem stopping in snow or on pavement for that matter...

If people knew how to drive and not just stand on the brake when it starts to slide they wouldn't need to put abs in, or traction control or any of this crap. I hate where cars are going. They're making everything mandatory. Cars that can supposedly park themselves. If you can't park, too f*cking bad, figure it out.

Sorry for my rant... but I think a lot of you know what I mean.

Old 12-28-2010, 12:21 AM
Rantz
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's heading towards cars like in "I, Robot" that drive themselves lol

Old 12-28-2010, 04:12 AM
blown 346
Rookie

Before you disable the ABS. Try this first. When the ABS kicks in, pump the pedal. You will notice you will stop faster and in a shorter distance. Otherwise without doing so, I also hate it.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:28 AM
stampede 04
Rookie

bpark, I couldn't agree with ou more. I hate that I am not allowed to control my own braking. I dont believe my problem is due to warped rotors or anything like that. I know it's the ABS and I think it is too sensitive. I guess I have to have it looked at as I have no knowledge about it. what happens is, when I have to break somewhat hard, my brakes just dont work. The pedal just stops going down. The best way I can describe it is it is like there is something jammed under the break pedal at that moment not allowing me to press the pedal any further. Now ofcourse my wheels are not sliding which I guess is the horrible thing they are trying to prevent, but while my wheels arent sliding I'm FREAKING ROLLING INTO THE CAR AHEAD OF ME!!

Quick Reply: Is it possible to disable ABS? I hate it!!