2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

97' 5.2L bizar Loping/Shuttering/creeping Need help

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 01:15 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I would hotlink but I dont recall the name atm..

There is a thread on replacing the pan and seal.. it is a design flaw.. on the kegger intake.. either the bolts too long or the hole too short or something like taht.. IDK>.

Supposedly the pan and the intake manf. cool at different rates and something because the bolts cant be torqued down enough.. it allows the gasket to pooch over time due to the metal expanding or something like that..

There is a thread under 2nd Gen Dakota's i think.. not the kegger mod.. but i think the plenum plate? IDK.

Old 03-03-2011, 05:23 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

I can now see why this particular problem that is referenced all over the internet never says resolved.. or reports of a fix for it..

Seems that once you get so far into it trying to fix this problem.. you throw so much money at it.. needlessly trying things.. you give up..

I am determined to find the problem. Transmission and Transfer Case is NOT the problem.. and have just about exclude the issue to either Motor (AGAIN) or the TC<-- in the bell housing.. But being it runs really rough (Like hi perf. cam) its in the motor or something with the motor..

So Notice I hear what sounds like a vacuum leak.
BUt If i reb alittle i dont hear it.. it goes away untill the RPM settles back down to idle.

So this could be the Belly pan gasket.. or something else.. I will be going through this.. I feel this sound is my problem. Coming from the Front Driver side of the motor.

Old 03-04-2011, 10:08 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

The vacuum leak I think I hear apparently is coming from the Power steering pump.

On a side note.. while I was driving and getting the shudder/lope... really bad.. I put the truck in all gears and did it in all gears.. put it in neutral and let off the break.. truck rolls fine..

Being it has a rough idle like it has some high performance cam.. I'm going to assume its something in the engine.. even though no CEL

Old 03-04-2011, 07:39 PM
frydaddy82
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

man my granpa had a durango and he said it would get the same miss in it and he would play with it changen plugs and it would go away then come back. so im guessn its that gasket leakin oil anf fouln the plug out.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:13 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

I think i might go through the plugs tomorrow and see what they look like currently.. but even when they were replaced.. which was a bout 2 months ago no.. at the start of this thread.. the truck still had the problem.. I'm thinking about maybee doing the belly pan gasket anyways. CarQuest has the kit.. all gaskets and replacement bolts.. 40 bucks or so..

I'm at wits end on it. I suppose.. ROFL

Only reason I bought this truck is for the financing and that it was 4x4 V8.. and I could not find a Bronco or Jeep Wrangler with in reason.. 2 weeks after i bought the truck i found the Bronco of my dreams.. with a 351M... I about kicked myself in the ***..

Old 03-05-2011, 08:40 AM
frydaddy82
Veteran

well i guess we got a race goin to find this prob lol. let me know when you do your gaskets man!! take some pics for us to

Old 03-05-2011, 12:21 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

I'm really short on cash again.. after dropping well over $100 bucks in fluid changes in this truck and wife's car.. funny thing is.. oil change on the wife's care only costed me 15 bucks.. ROFL!!!!

And I still have not done the differentials.. but I know they are not the problem other wise in neutral it would shutter when rolling and it does not.. and also would not make the engine run like had some hoped up on acid cam..

Youll have to excuse my should have bought a ford comments.. this is my first dodge and quite frankly.. I understand its used.. so of course I'm going to have problems. I bought someone else's problems.. but i look out on the internet and these issues are so constant across these trucks.. I think back to my Ford Days.. I never had these kinds of issues..

What I wouldn't give for my old truck back.. I still kick my self in the *** fo getting rid of it......

Anyways.. I'm just venting. Let me get back on topic.. :i con_smash:

Old 03-05-2011, 11:23 PM
frydaddy82
Veteran

oh trust me i understand that lol ima chevy man and i would know what to look for but.... i got me a pile of dodge and i love the truck. i done ball joints today shhhh.. never again!!!

Old 03-06-2011, 01:18 AM
All12Huskies

Just for giggles? Pull the Cam sensor.....Mine (4.7 though) had a bulge on the side of it, truck did run a bit better after changing it, but turned out the crank sensor was bad. Mine was showing a P1391 code too though.............

Fwiw

David

Old 03-06-2011, 08:16 AM
frydaddy82
Veteran

well did that help out with the low speed shutter?

Quick Reply: 97' 5.2L bizar Loping/Shuttering/creeping Need help