2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

97' 5.2L bizar Loping/Shuttering/creeping Need help

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 05:15 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I threw the correct Resistor type plugs in.. i can feel a difference and smoothness at higher RPM but I swear lost some low end torque.

I really want to polish up the intake man as well as the ports.. and such.. paint with some nice high temp paint.. make it look nice and shiny..

I'm considering doing it.. just hate to spend a day pulling everything..
If i could just afford an M1 i would do that instead.. lol..

Old 03-07-2011, 01:56 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

Interesting.. PCM finally adapted to the new plugs.. still has the miss but is running pretty good other than that.. nice response.. and damn its got a little power to..

I'm actually planning on doing a complete upper end service. Can't wait..

Old 03-14-2011, 10:55 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

So the update i pulled those resistor plugs out.. was really good WOT at higher speeds but sucked low end..

Replaced with plain jane plugs.. This truck is on my last nerves.. plus an intermittent Oil pressure

Old 03-15-2011, 02:52 PM
TexasCoder
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jondakotaguy
So the update i pulled those resistor plugs out.. was really good WOT at higher speeds but sucked low end..

Replaced with plain jane plugs.. This truck is on my last nerves.. plus an intermittent Oil pressure
I hate to hear that it is still giving problems. Have you tested for vacuum leaks? Could there possibly be a small enough leak in one of the hoses that it is causing the hesitation/shutter?

Old 03-17-2011, 09:23 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

Im honestly not sure.. and really do not have anything to test with.. nor have the $$ to take it somewhere like I outta..

Old 03-18-2011, 06:33 PM
Scaryjam8234
Rookie

Supposedly if you have a vaccine leak you can take a can of wd-40 or carburetor cleaner and spray every vaccine line. If you have a leak it should suck it in and idle higher slightly. I dunno if this is true or not, one of my family members told me this. He use to race at the drag strip in the 70s for a living.

My trucks doing the same thing as yours, I haven't went through any effort to find out what is causing it though. I might spray my vaccume lines tomorrow. I'm pretty sure I have a leak or a line collapsing.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:35 PM
UWAdventurer
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Used to use starter fluid to check for vacuum leaks, it will make the engine rev up if there is a leak. Be careful around a hot engine, spark plug wires and the manifolds.

Old 03-19-2011, 02:51 AM
wewanaplay
Veteran

Check and/or replace your Timing chain. At idle/low rpm it will slack up if its worn causing your timing and subsequently your idle to change which your pcm will then try to compensate for by electronically adjusting your timing enough to smooth out so the chain can slack again, starting the whole process all over again. But! Under a load, your chain is held tight as the engine is under load keeping your timing consistent with engine load.

Old 03-19-2011, 07:18 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

if that were the problem there would be a fluctuation at low idle yes?

Old 03-22-2011, 02:24 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

Update: Have not really had $$ or chance to do anything else after the plugs.. I can tell you the truck seems to be running a little worse.. I mean it drives good and all.. but seems like alot less power..

Going down the road you can feel it (Like a miss) at driving speed now.. acceleration.. seems ok..but just not as quick and less powerful..

I think I might just pay the Dealership the 108 for diagnostics to find the actual problem..

Beats head on wall.. Sorry to all those this my offend.. but I really regret buying a Dodge.. or at the very least this.. dodge.. LOL!

Should of gotten the Bronco.. ROFL

Quick Reply: 97' 5.2L bizar Loping/Shuttering/creeping Need help