2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Limited Slip?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 12:12 PM
bpark8824
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MaximRecoil
I don't dispute that new studs work good. What I'm saying is that they wear down very quickly when driving on pavement that is not covered by thick snow or ice, which is what most winter driving consists of (assuming you live in a town that plows the roads). And by very quickly, I mean far less time than 2 seasons, and by worn down I mean no little spikes left at all, i.e., instead of looking like this:

They look like this:

At which point, they are not doing much even though there is still a lot of internal length left to them. The last truck I had (2WD) had studded tires where the studs were worn down like in the second picture (they were worn like that when I got the truck), but the tires still had plenty of tread (which means there was still plenty of internal length to the studs). They had no better traction on snow or ice than the non-studded tires I replaced them with, or the various other non-studded tires I've used. I'm sure the previous owner had great traction with them when they were new ... for short while anyway.
It's all a matter of how much you drive and how much it's worth it to you to have decent traction. There are road in VT where studded snow tires or chains are required. Yeah, they are going to wear down but it you really need them, it's worth it. Coming from someone who drove a 2wd open diff truck in Vermont winters, they are worth it. Maybe to you they're not but to some people it is.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:18 PM
UWAdventurer
Veteran

Dirtbiker, look like nice tires. I have some General Altimax Arctics on my Camry hybrid and they are very good tires in adverse weather conditions. They are studable, however, I did not put studs in mine. The only complaint on them is the sidewalls are not V rated so they are a little soft. I will check out the Generals for my truck, thanks.

Old 02-03-2011, 01:37 PM
MaximRecoil
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bpark8824
It's all a matter of how much you drive and how much it's worth it to you to have decent traction. There are road in VT where studded snow tires or chains are required. Yeah, they are going to wear down but it you really need them, it's worth it. Coming from someone who drove a 2wd open diff truck in Vermont winters, they are worth it. Maybe to you they're not but to some people it is.
The only problem I have with them is that their effectiveness doesn't last long at all, because they wear down so quickly when they are contacting pavement. If you had them on a vehicle you only used when the roads were icy/snowy, they would last a long time. For a daily winter driver, probably 90+ percent of driving is on dry pavement (or close enough to dry that the studs are still digging into pavement when you drive).

Maybe some studs are made better than others and last longer. I'm no expert on tire studs; I only know that the ones that were worn flat on my truck despite the plenty of tread left on the tires, weren't providing any extra traction that I noticed (though I'm sure they were great when new).

Old 02-03-2011, 04:26 PM
DakMan6704
Captain

or, just get decent tires, and a set of chains....no one seems to use them, except mailmen and umm....tractors....

Old 02-03-2011, 04:53 PM
bpark8824
Champion

Originally Posted by MaximRecoil
The only problem I have with them is that their effectiveness doesn't last long at all, because they wear down so quickly when they are contacting pavement. If you had them on a vehicle you only used when the roads were icy/snowy, they would last a long time. For a daily winter driver, probably 90+ percent of driving is on dry pavement (or close enough to dry that the studs are still digging into pavement when you drive).

Maybe some studs are made better than others and last longer. I'm no expert on tire studs; I only know that the ones that were worn flat on my truck despite the plenty of tread left on the tires, weren't providing any extra traction that I noticed (though I'm sure they were great when new).
I understand this, but they might save you from getting in an accident or getting stuck while they are still good. And yeah, they will wear out but not as fast as you think they do. Plus even after they do were out you still have a decent set of snow tires. They just are quite as effective now that the studs have worn down slightly. Like I said before, it might not be worth it to you, but if you drove a 2wd vehicle all winter long, they would be.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:51 PM
dirtbiker
Captain

Originally Posted by UWAdventurer
Dirtbiker, look like nice tires. I have some General Altimax Arctics on my Camry hybrid and they are very good tires in adverse weather conditions. They are studable, however, I did not put studs in mine. The only complaint on them is the sidewalls are not V rated so they are a little soft. I will check out the Generals for my truck, thanks.
No problem. I'm hoping to get a set of these late spring once my bumper and all that is repaired. If I got them now in 31's they would rub for sure and a lot because the bumper is pushed back a little bit. It's gonna be real tight with 31's, even with everything repaired. I might have to get some bigger coils and shocks.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:53 PM
dirtbiker
Captain

I understand this, but they might save you from getting in an accident or getting stuck while they are still good. And yeah, they will wear out but not as fast as you think they do. Plus even after they do were out you still have a decent set of snow tires. They just are quite as effective now that the studs have worn down slightly. Like I said before, it might not be worth it to you, but if you drove a 2wd vehicle all winter long, they would be.
Sorry to double post. But I saw this one and I agree with if they save you from an accident or getting stuck then they're worth it. Personally, I don't think they'd be worth it for me just because there is maybe 2 weeks combined out of the year that I would really need them. But yeah in other climates they are completely necessary and it's important to have them. Pretty cool stuff.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:18 PM
bpark8824
Champion

Originally Posted by dirtbiker
Sorry to double post. But I saw this one and I agree with if they save you from an accident or getting stuck then they're worth it. Personally, I don't think they'd be worth it for me just because there is maybe 2 weeks combined out of the year that I would really need them. But yeah in other climates they are completely necessary and it's important to have them. Pretty cool stuff.
Yup, one accident or tow and they're paid for and them some... Not saying they are the only thing to keep you from getting stuck or in an accident but they will help a lot. They thing about studs is they help with accelerating AND with braking AND turning. 4wd will help you get going but not stop.

Old 02-04-2011, 08:00 PM
dirtbiker
Captain

Yup, one accident or tow and they're paid for and them some... Not saying they are the only thing to keep you from getting stuck or in an accident but they will help a lot. They thing about studs is they help with accelerating AND with braking AND turning. 4wd will help you get going but not stop.
I agree. So many 4x4 owners (probably nobody on here) don't understand that having 4 wheel drive won't help you stop. I notice it alot around here people in mainly SUVs flying around and then really having a hard time stopping probably because they figure "oh I have 4x4 I'm safe no matter what" I laugh when I see it haha. Offhand, how much did you sell your 01 3.9 for? Just curious, at some pt I may do what you did and get a 4x4.

Old 02-05-2011, 08:49 AM
bigreed91
Veteran

quick question, this thread got me lookin at the lock-right lockers, first if im not mistaken my 98 R/T has the 9.25 rear end, second i'm lookin at what powertrax has to offer and they make the lock-right open case and the no slip traction system open case or limited slip, im just not sure which one to be lookin at. I want somethin better than what i got cause one wheel burnouts aint cool, plus tryin to get this beast to hook up off a jump is nearly impossible
oh and here's a link to powertrax listings http://www.rocky-road.com/powertrax.pdf

Last edited by bigreed91; 02-05-2011 at 08:52 AM.

Quick Reply: Limited Slip?