2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.
Old 08-06-2015, 11:53 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

A/C evaporator leaking inside cab

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 10:05 AM
wolfeyesnc
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C evaporator leaking inside cab

Hey Group,
New to this site, looks like a good one.
Question.......my evaporator is leaking inside the cab really bad (2004 dakota sxt), can't find the origin of the leak anywhere inside or out.
Any responce is greatly appreciated as it is becoming a "pool".
I have already found the low spot on the floor board and punched a small hole for drainage.
Thanks in advance,
Brad

Old 06-01-2011, 07:45 PM
chickenlights
Amateur

what do you mean by your evap leaking?is there water coming out onto your passenger floor when the ac is on? if so your evap drain is clogged. or do you actualy smell a musty refrigerant smell?

Old 06-12-2011, 09:06 PM
tjbmopar

water all over passenger floor not musty. got 1/2 the rug up and and most of the water.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:11 AM
JBs DAK
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would think it's your Drain-tube that comes out on the fire wall on the engine side
that's clogged up. It's hard to see. On the pass-side on the fire wall kinda behind
your evap-canister. You can try to unclog it GENTLY with a coat hanger using no
force what so ever or you run the risk of poking holes.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:39 AM
bwdakrt
Record Breaker

Your AC drain tube is not clogged...it's a Dodge design flaw. The drain tube is sticking straight out into the engine bay and when you're driving down the road, the air coming into the engine bay is forcing the water back into the cab.

A very simple fix. Pick up a 5/8" heater hose elbow at any parts store. Grind or file down the barb on one end, apply a little silicone and stick it inside the drain tube no more than 1/2". Allow the silicone to set up and your problem is over. The elbow will allow the water to drain and keep the incoming air from being forced inside the tube. I had the same problem with my '01 RT about 7-8 years ago and this simple fix has completely cured the problem. NO MORE WET CARPET!!

THESE INSTRUCTIONS ARE EXACT. I WILL NOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR INABILITY TO READ AND FOLLOW THEM!!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
V6EngineBay018.jpg (57.1 KB, 186 views)

Last edited by bwdakrt; 06-14-2013 at 11:59 AM.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:57 PM
wolfeyesnc

To all that replied, thanks...........
We sorta figured it was a design flaw because in the 7 years I've owned it I hardly ever use the a/c on a long trip but this last trip was a hot one and I used it the whole time at speeds over 70 most of the time.......
The tube wasn't clogged so I will fab. an extension for it when I get a chance, probobly run it down about a foot and that should take care of it..
Again,
Thanks to All
Brad

Old 06-13-2011, 05:27 PM
bwdakrt
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by wolfeyesnc
To all that replied, thanks...........
We sorta figured it was a design flaw because in the 7 years I've owned it I hardly ever use the a/c on a long trip but this last trip was a hot one and I used it the whole time at speeds over 70 most of the time.......
The tube wasn't clogged so I will fab. an extension for it when I get a chance, probobly run it down about a foot and that should take care of it..
Again,
Thanks to All
Brad
The dealership has a fix for the problem. Just ask for the AC drain tube repair kit at the parts counter and they will know what you're talking about. It's a piece of rubber hose with a 90* bend that clamps over the drain tube. IIRC, about $12-$15.

The $2 heater hose elbow is cheaper and works just as well but it's your money and your truck. Whatever you decide to do, the main objective is keeping the carpet dry. Good luck.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:06 AM
tjbmopar

still can not find the drain tube 2002 dakota right side fire wall

Old 06-16-2011, 11:39 AM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

BW, Thanks very much for the tip on this. My AC evap is not leaking now, I don't have any leaks in the cab or wet carpet but I am going to add the right angle hose to the drain this weekend so I don't have any trouble with it later.

Jimmy

Old 06-16-2011, 12:06 PM
bwdakrt
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by tjbmopar
still can not find the drain tube 2002 dakota right side fire wall
This picture is looking down on the passenger side of the firewall just behind the cylinder head. The tube you're seeing beside the elbow is the transmission fill tube. A little hard to see and find but it's there.

Quick Reply: A/C evaporator leaking inside cab