2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

4x4 question

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011 | 11:44 AM
ryan_brown33
Veteran

Originally Posted by kota34
Im doing it cause i am turning it into a pre-runner and its beter for it to be 2wd.
Why don't you just leave the t-case in 2wd then?

Plus the front suspensions of the 2wd and 4wd daks are completely different 4wd uses torsion bars obviously and the 2wd trucks have coils and a-arms? somebody correct me if im wrong my truck is 4wd.
but 2wd hubs would do nothing because as long as your t-case is in 2wd the front tires wont get power so what kind of hub you have on there really does not matter

Old 07-17-2011 | 07:02 PM
bpark8824
Champion

Originally Posted by ryan_brown33
Why don't you just leave the t-case in 2wd then?

Plus the front suspensions of the 2wd and 4wd daks are completely different 4wd uses torsion bars obviously and the 2wd trucks have coils and a-arms? somebody correct me if im wrong my truck is 4wd.
but 2wd hubs would do nothing because as long as your t-case is in 2wd the front tires wont get power so what kind of hub you have on there really does not matter
The kind of hub does matter if you plan to take out the half shafts. If you take out the half shafts the hubs will be worthless and fall apart. Therefore he is thinking, take out the halfshafts and replace the hubs with 2wd hubs that will work with out half shafts. So in a sense it does matter what hubs you use. Obviously if you were leaving everything in it wouldn't matter but if you take it a part it does.

Quick Reply: 4x4 question