2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

'98 v6 running too rich and I'm out of ideas

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 08:27 PM
DeafMike
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '98 v6 running too rich and I'm out of ideas

Been having problems with my truck since day 1. It had a cylinder that was misfiring, so I replaced the plugs and wires. Didn't correct the problem so I just replaced my upstream O2 sensor. Haven't really taken it out for a long enough drive to determine if that corrected the major problem - but I took the truck back to AutoZone to have the codes pulled as the CEL didn't go off after replacement.

Only thing that came out of the diagnostic was that my truck was running too rich - the minor issue that I assumed the O2 sensor would fix along with the major problem. Not really sure what to check at this point, as the plugs, wires, and O2 sensor are all new.

Mass Airflow? No fault there as far as the codes go. I'm looking for a simple, non-electrical solution that I'm overlooking. Maybe it'll just go away as I only replaced the O2 sensor not even 30 minutes ago, gotta go pick up my girlfriend from work in about an hour and that's a good 30-45 minute drive.

I'm just tired of the smell of gasoline offending my nostrils when I'm idling.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:44 PM
MikeCzipri
Professional

HAve you checked/ replaced the O2 sensors in the exhaust system? I have a different motor but on mine there is an O2 sensor right by each or the pre cats

Old 07-19-2011, 09:00 PM
DeafMike

Yup, just replaced the upstream O2 sensor. The guy that pulled the codes said the only problem was the upstream one and the downstream one was operating fine (one on either side of the catalytic converter.)

I'm gotta go pick my girl up right now though, she just called. I'll post back and see if its still acting up. More clues to pinpoint the issue if so.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:05 PM
thunder98110
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

maybe one of your injectors is malfunctioning and dumping more fuel in than necisary.

Quick Reply: '98 v6 running too rich and I'm out of ideas