2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Trans Temp Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 01:07 AM
Marko
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Trans Temp Gauge

gw ,

Excellent news !! , Let me know how your install goes. I would be interested in what gauge you used. The one I am choosing is the ISSPRO Trans Temp , black with red pointer. Matches the other gauges on my daktoa the best. My a -pillar has the grab handle so I can only fit one gauge pod at this location if I still want to keep the handle. I do use it once and a while

Thanks for all the calling around etc. I appreciate the help.

Mark

Old 07-26-2005, 03:23 AM
glwilliams58
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mark,

A little slow down here tonight; The sending unit I have for my guage is slightly larger than the test port.

I will check and see if there is a smaller sending unit, but I doubt it. I may have to go for a line splice or the pan before this is all over. I will keep you posted.

The guage I have is the Phantom series made by Auto Meter. White face, black numbers and red pointer. It is close, but not a perfect match with the guages in this RAM. I mounted it below the dash, right knee next to my Prodigy break unit. I didn't care much for the single pod look, so I tucked it down low. But, it points right up through the steering wheel and is easy to watch. When I get this little project done I will post a couple of photos.

gw

Old 07-26-2005, 03:35 AM
Marko

gw ,

Sorry to hear about the install troubles

Those Autometer gauges come standard with a 1/8 NPT sender and adaptors for 3/8 and 1/2 inch. Sounds like the test port is smaller than 1/8 inch. It was hard to tell if that was the size when I was on my back look up at the two test ports. What a bummer , I image that you had the test port plug out and trying to fit the sender in when finding out that it did not fit. How much ATF did the port let out ? This would really stink if the test ports are not a standard size NPT. I am not big on cutting into one of the cooler lines for this. I have read that other with old model dodges have used this test port , I would not think that dodge would change the size of the port from model to model , but I guess anything is possible.

Mark

Old 07-26-2005, 04:46 PM
glwilliams58

Mark,

The fitting on the sender I have is 3/8". The port appears to be closer to 1/4".

Taking out the plug was very easy and only a drip of fluid came out.

I contacted autometer to learn that this is the only sending unit they make. Their advise was a pan weld, or the in-line trans temp adapter manifold (#2286 or #2287 depending on the size of the tubing) and use the same sending unit there. Place it on the output line, and you are all set.

Looking at the lines, I don't see an easy place to cut and place this adapter.

If you get a chance to pull that plug on yours, tell me what size fitting you think would fit in that port. I am thinking there may be another guage maker that may have a smaller sender.

gw

Old 07-26-2005, 05:48 PM
Marko

qw ,

That is strange that you gauge has a 3/8's sender. I checked autometers website and looked at the gauge you have (Phantom Line) and it states that the gauge comes with :

Includes 1/8" NPT Sender.

Air-Core meter movement.

Includes 3/8" NPT adapter/fitting.

Includes 1/2" NPT adapter/fitting.

If mounting in a steel pan, model 2260 bung in the Accessories Section is recommended.

Does your sender have the 3/8 fitting already on it ?? If so will it screw off , just leaving the 1/8 sender. I have not done my install yet waiting for the gauge to get here. I chose the ISSPRO trans temp gauge as it matched my dakota's interior the best. Here is the link to the gauge I ordered.

http://www.dieselmanor.com/isspro/r5..._transtemp.asp

That port sure looks like 1/8" but being on my back looking up at it with a flashlight it is very hard to tell 1/8" or 1/4". The ISSPRO gauge indicates that it comes with the 1/8" sender and 1/4" 3/8" and 1/2" adaptor bushings. I would have a hard time believing that the port is not a standard size that could be had at any autoparts store.

If it comes to the port not working I guess my next least intrusive option would be the trans line method and inserting a manifold with the sender port on it. I read on another dodge forum site that you can find this part as a replacement piece of line that is pre-assembled and would require cutting out a specific piece of the trans line. I agree , the question is where do you make the cut.

The pan idea turned me off as I an not a welder and would have to take the pan to someone to have this done. Last resort I guess.

Here is the link to someone who did the cuttng of the trans line :

http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/show...ans+temp+gauge

when my gauge gets here I'll take out the plug on the port and trying both the 1/8" and 1/4" sizes.

Mark

Old 07-27-2005, 01:34 AM
glwilliams58

Mark,

I like the description of your gauge better. It states there is a 1/8" sender and a 1/4" adapter. As I see it, my sender is 1/8" but it is already combined with the 3/8" adapter. The two can not be separated.

What is the ETA of your gauge? I am almost certain the plug is 1/4" on the test port and you will have the solution there. If so, I do a quick exchange for the ISSPRO and I am all set. I am already wired and the bracket is mounted.

gw

Old 07-27-2005, 03:13 AM
glwilliams58

Looking over that site they have just gotten in a very nice match for my gauges as well with the white face and illuminated red pointer. As I have looked at the specs on many other manufacturers of gauges, this is the only brand that carries the 1/4" adapter for the sending unit.

Old 07-27-2005, 01:05 PM
Marko

gw ,

I should have it in a few days , hopefully by the weekend . The ISSPRO gauges are very nice , one difference between them and the autometer ones is the way they are wired. The ISSPRO gauges use a "signal amp" box which has an input for both power and ground.

Hopefully the 1/4 inch adaptor size is the correct one. The other problem I have is there is no good place to mount the gauge in the dakota. I do have an electric brake box mounted like you have but there is not enough room next to it for the gauge. The best place for me in regards to visibility is on the A-pillar. Autometer makes a single gauge pod that will hopefully mount on the area just under the grab handle on the pillar. Other than that there is no other place that it can mount to be seen.

Here are some other sites I have found that sell ISSPRO gauges.

http://www.egauges.com/
http://www.dieselmanor.com/default.asp

or course

http://summitracing.com , all other aftermarket parts places like this should have it. The other two above seem to have the best selection.

One thing we could try is getting a 1/4 NPT adaptor. Home centers should sell them , it is just a brass 1/4 NPT fitting. I'll see if I can come up with one and try pulling the plug and make sure the 1/4 size fits. If it is only a drop of fluid that comes out when pulling the plug it should be no big deal. What wrench size it that plug ?? I can bearly see up in there , never mind getting my hand up there to get the plug out.

I think after the gauge is it and working , I'll take the truck in to get the trans fluid flushed and change , flushing gets all of it out , and replace with synth ATF. Most likely do the rear axle at the say time. I could do but with all the skid plate stuff that has to come down and I do not have a lift , it would be a big pain in #$%%#$@.

sorry for the long winded reply

Mark

Old 07-28-2005, 04:11 AM
glwilliams58

Great Links. Very helpful. Seeing some of those pod options I am tempted to go for the steering column mount.

This guage is perfect:
R6859R Enhanced Visibility Trans Oil Temperature Gauge 2-1/16" 100-280F White Dial, Black Bezel, Red Pointer.
Comes with 1/8"NPT matched sending unit, and 1/4NPT", 3/8NPT", & 1/2NPT" adapter bushings.

BTW, that port plug on mine was a 8mm.

Let me know what you find when you get it out.

Thanks.

gw

Old 07-28-2005, 01:29 PM
glwilliams58

Mark,

I spoke with Dave at Diesel Manor, he was extremely helpful. He pointed out that 1/8" NPT is actually 3/8" OD if you measured it on a ruler. NPT is a thread National Pipe Thread measure. The smallest sender he knows of is the 1/8"NPT and it will not fit in our test ports.

Regarding the ISSPRO gauges and our tranny, he advises the inline manifold or the pan weld as the only options.

He suggested if your servicing the tranny now anyhow, install two separate weld bushings there; one for the sender (in the side) and one for a drain plug.

gw

Quick Reply: Trans Temp Gauge