2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Trans Temp Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2005, 10:33 PM
Marko
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trans Temp Gauge

Folks ,

I have seen discussion in other posts on this subject however they all have to do with Ram 1500 pickup. I have an 02 Dakota QC 4x4 4.7L. The other post talk about install the sender where the test port is located on the trans. I tried looking for this on my truck and can not find it. My understanding is that the 1500's and the dakota's share the same trannies. Is this not the case ?? And does anyone know whether the test port exists on dakota's ??

Mark

Old 07-22-2005, 12:15 PM
glwilliams58
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Trans Temp Gauge

Mark,

Did you ever find the test port? I just saw your post after I posted a similar one to the GEN III forum. I am looking for mine as well.

Thanks.

gw

Old 07-22-2005, 11:46 PM
Marko

gw ,

No I have not found it yet. It is hard to see under there , the skid plate stuff is in the way and I can not see up past the trans pan. My gut says that because the dakota and the Ram share the same trans , atleast on the Gen II models , do not know if this is the case on the Gen III's ones or not , that the test port should be in the same place. I'll let you know when I find it. I will be doing a fair amount of towing so I wanted to get a trans temp gauge and while I am at it , drain the ATF and Diff fluid and replace with Synth.

You know I saw a rear diff temp gauge as well. May sound like overkill but being a pilot I like to monitor as much as I can in an attempt to know what everything is doing. I have not idea where this sender would go , logical place is the reat axle cover ?? I asked around , let ya know what I find out ....

Mark

Old 07-22-2005, 11:52 PM
dodgeman4x4
Rookie

call the dealership, they should be able to tell ya. I don't know about the rear one though, i guess if all it is is just a temp sending unit that goes to the gauge u will want to be specific as to exactly where you mount it in the rear diff, call the manufacture about that one. They would know best, it is there product of course.

Old 07-23-2005, 03:34 AM
glwilliams58

Thanks for the feedback guys. This topic does not get a lot of feedback and I appreciate your thoughts.

I called a good friend at a tranny shop and he admits he has not seen a lot of these trannys in his shop (too knew and few problems), but he has one in a box that he is gong to crack open and look at. He says he is pretty sure it has a test port, but will tell me what he sees on Monday.

I also asked him about the factory trans coolers. Setting up for some serious towing myself, I was considering a second, secondary cooler. He said that Dodge puts a good cooler on stock and he would not worry unless the temps are way off the chart.

Mark, I will tell you I was pulling a 4500 pound travel trailer (6000 loaded) with an '04 4.7L Dakota for a while. It pulled nicely, had the power I needed and seemed to work just fine. However, I did not have a trans guage and did not know how hot I was running. Long story short, I soon lost my OD and then 3rd gear. It would run in first and second.

Local dealer said the solenoid had burned out on it. I think I might have cooked that tranny, so your precautions are wise.

I will keep you posted on what I learn here.

gw

Old 07-23-2005, 09:39 PM
Marko

gw ,

I will be towing about 4900lbs cargo+trailer , so I would expect that my dakota will do ok. I am pretty sure that the trans has this test/pressure port. It is just a matter of finding it. As for the differential temp gauge , you have to mount the sender in the diff cover. I have seen some after market covers (Mag-Hytec) that has this port 1/8" NPT port built into the cover. The stock cover does not appear to have it. The Mag-Hytec covers are expensive , for my truck @$240.00 for the cover / kit. Plus the cost of the ISSPRO gauge and sender @$75.00 , plus gear oil. Added in the cost of the trans temp gauge and fluid. Overall a Big expense , however small price to pay to know what is going on and try to avoid costly trans repairs. For the amount of towing I will be doing a year ,maybe 5 to 6 times , some may wonder if this cost is justified. To me it is , the more data you have the better. As I said my background tends to make me a numebrs kind-a guy

I'll post more info as I find out more.

Old 07-24-2005, 03:18 AM
glwilliams58

Mark,

I found something that may help you in response to my post on another forum.

Check out this link for some tech manual info on the 452 RFE.

http://hemitruckclub.infopop.cc/grou...163#8270031163

gw

Old 07-24-2005, 01:27 PM
Marko

gw ,

Thanks for forwarding this to me !! I did not see a photo from jamesD identifing the locations. Did you download this photo ?? If so can you forward it to me ?? I agree that the PML pan with the built in port for the gauge might be the way to go. However my dakota has the skid plate group install and I do not know if this larger pan will fit up underneath. I would like to try the test / pressure port first and see if that works.

Mark

Old 07-25-2005, 03:02 PM
Marko

qw ,

I crawled under the truck yesterday with a good flashlight and found that my trans matches the pic exactly. I agree with you that the question is what port 1 or 3 would the sensor go in ?? Both appear to be 1/8" NPT. It would be great if one of these ports worked , or had enough flow to give a good measurement.

My 02 dakota has a sensor and a "Trans Temp" warning light. It might be possible to install a tee fitting at this sensor location , re-install the factory sensor in one side of the tee and the sensor for the additional gauge in the other side. I also wonder what the output is of this factory gauge ?? Is the factory sender set to a certain temp and when that is meet it triggers the light ?? Or is it a normal sender and will output all temps and then the computer monitors the reading and when a high level is met , it will trigger the light ??

Mark

Old 07-25-2005, 09:33 PM
glwilliams58

Mark,

Good news. I just got off the phone with a transmission shop in Sarasota that was able to get through to the Dodge tech line and confirm that the port to use is the lower one (#3) TCC Apply. It will have constant oil on it and provide the most accurate temp reading.

I am heading out now to finish up the install. Good luck with yours.

gw

Quick Reply: Trans Temp Gauge