2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Advice on a Dakota purchase. All advice welcome.

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 06:56 PM
dolittle
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a 02 QC 4x4 a few moths ago for $6,800 and I love it. It had about 140k on the clock and I did have to fix a few things Water pump ( the water pump on a 4.7 is one of the easiest I have ever done ), and left front hub. When you buy a truck with that many mile expect to put a some money in it. I like the red one but I'd take them all for a test drive look them over good and just buy the one you like.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:07 PM
chris1996
Veteran

Originally Posted by jaknell1011
Thanks for the advice so far!

I have heard about the problems with the passenger side leak problem, so I will be sure to check that out. Thanks for pointing out the new paint, I will be sure to go over that carefully.

I have heard things about transmission problems and u-joint problems with some Dodge trucks. Is this something I should be looking for, and what exactly should be warning signs with this model. Also, it seems like the high mileage doesn't seem like a deal breaker so far, is this true?

I'm glad to hear I'm on the right track, and I am getting excited about the truck, but I still want to be patient and rational, and keep reminding myself I can probably find another one if I don't get this one. Not being in a rush to get a truck right away is a nice convenience.

The thought of trading my Honda Civic in and putting $1000 down on this, effectively making it possible for me to pay this off in just a few months is really tempting though. Again thanks for any and all help!
forget to said check very hard the paint in the roof the hood and most of horizontal parts is where catch more sun and heat and if they do it how we call in my country caldo de pollo (chicken soup) is a very bad and cheap paint for sell cars and make they look pretty but in a mid-long time is a pain in the *** so be carfull with the leak and the paint very well... good luck

Old 10-19-2011, 10:45 PM
Earlrabbit
Rookie

It looks like a nice truck but the front bumper looks a little off - was it in an accident or a fender bender? I would suggest a Carfax and a compression test. They don't cost a lot and you may wish you had done it in the future.

Old 10-20-2011, 02:04 PM
jaknell1011

The truck ended up selling the same morning I called about it. Thanks for all of the advice, I am still looking for the right one and will definitely use this forum regularly as a resource. If anyone in the Middle TN area sees anything let me know! Thanks.

Also if anyone has any other advice to keep in mind feel free to share it. One can never have too much knowledge when buying a new (used) vehicle.

Quick Reply: Advice on a Dakota purchase. All advice welcome.