2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Crank Position Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 09:13 PM
bill9000
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crank Position Sensor

Howdy! I am trying to chase down a problem with my 97 Dakota 318 not starting, (it quit in the middle of driving and wont start since.) - has no spark, and no fuel pump, and the gauge shows E...

I am in the middle of trying to source the problem...

I am trying to find things that would cause it to have no spark and no fuel, I have already replaced the PCM, amd I've tested all the fuses and relays, especially the ASD relay, which I even swapped with others, and still doesnt work.

What I am wondering is: Can the Crank Position Sensor cause it to maybe trip the ASD, which is in turn killing the spark and fuel? (I'm guessing the fuel gauge is tied to the fuel pump circuit which is why it's not working)???

any help would be greatly appreciated, I am in bad trouble without this truck running....

Have a great day!

Old 10-24-2011, 01:06 PM
bill9000
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

UPDATE: - Troubleshooting and fix... done. - Problem WAS the Crankshaft Position Sensor, the wire going to it was pinched between the engine/transmission and shorted it out. and the symptom was no fuel, no spark & no gas gauge working. Put in new sensor, truck fired right up. Hope this helps someone else out sometime.

Old 10-24-2011, 03:10 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Glad you got it Bill and thanks for sharing the fix.

Quick Reply: Crank Position Sensor