2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Tired of the one tire fire!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 10:51 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Lincoln locker haha little bit of weld and your good to go!!

Old 11-08-2011, 01:49 PM
Krowbar
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 413maxwedge
Get yourself a lunch box locker they are cheaper than a detroit locker or arb locker. A Powertrax is one,or LockRight another, or a detroit Truetrac.Otherwise your next step is a selectable locker which cost twice as much.
I heard the Detroit Truetrac is more of a LSD that a locker. I also read that a LSD will still give me plenty of one tire fire especially on slippery uphill slopes or at any slow speeds. I think i want to go with a full locker. I hear they can clunk and stuff, is this damaging to anything? Tire wear? Locker and dif wear? Also I heard it was smoother in an Automatic than in a manual trasmission. mine is an auto so that would be nice. What brand should I go with with a good balance of reliability, durability and cost?

Originally Posted by dodgeramguy85
Lincoln locker haha little bit of weld and your good to go!!
I've heard of people simply welding them. Is it easy to ***** up? Is the a DIY video or guide online somewhere?

Thanks gents

Old 11-08-2011, 01:52 PM
Krowbar
Rookie

Originally Posted by Rakaric
So you have the open differential. Always fun...but one thing they are good for is that they last longer than the life of the truck.

The factory LSD, even though it's good for getting both wheels to drive, may not be the best choice. The reason is that there are clutches inside of it that burn out, and requires more maintenance.

If you want complete traction control, there are lockers that are placed inside the open differential and it locks both wheels. I've heard of mixed reactions about this like such things as popping, clunking and etc and some don't think it's good for street use. Good thing is though that they don't need maintenance...at least that's what I've heard the last time I went looking.

First, you need to identify which axle you have. The easiest way is by looking at the housing cover plate. If it's round, you got the 8.25" differential. If it's like an octagon, then you have the 9.25" differential.

I have the 9.25 for sure... is this the more common dif in a 2000 2wd QC?

Old 11-08-2011, 02:05 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion

If you want a reliable vehicle then you dont want to weld them. I was joking.. Its def possible to do and is very easy but for on road use it puts lots of stress on the axle shafts. I did it on my woods beater just because I didnt care if it broke.

Old 11-08-2011, 02:11 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not exactly cheap but you can pickup a Detroit Locker for the Chrysler 9.25 rear end at SummitRacing for just over $600 plus shipping.

Old 11-08-2011, 02:12 PM
Krowbar
Rookie

Originally Posted by dodgeramguy85
If you want a reliable vehicle then you dont want to weld them. I was joking.. Its def possible to do and is very easy but for on road use it puts lots of stress on the axle shafts. I did it on my woods beater just because I didnt care if it broke.

Yeah this thing see's 99.9% road. Pull my off-road toys. But there are times when I want to take an easier back trail that might lift up one of my tires and would like the other one to get traction. Also where I park my truck, my old mustang gets out of the spot easier..... haha

Old 11-08-2011, 04:59 PM
413maxwedge
Amateur

You should go with an ARB air locker than.This way you can flip it on when needed, and leave off when on the street. A true locker as in a spool, or a detroit locker will cause tire wear and is hard on the axle when on the pavement, hard to drive in snow and on ice let alone in the rain when cornering.Hard on the axle when turning on pavement, don't let anyone fool you and say that they don't do this, full time locker's have poor streetability.So get yourself a selectable locker. You could also get an electric locker by EATON .good luck93C_peelout[1].gif

Last edited by 413maxwedge; 11-08-2011 at 05:13 PM.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:21 PM
Trent479
Veteran

this is very good info because i was lookin into gettin one for my truck. it see's a lot of road, but i do get er inthe dirt and with the lift and 31's it will see more dirt. what would i wanna look into buying?

Old 11-08-2011, 07:38 PM
thunder98110
Champion

when ever i get around to doing my rear diff its going to be an auburn lsd.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:16 PM
Trent479
Veteran

Originally Posted by thunder98110
when ever i get around to doing my rear diff its going to be an auburn lsd.
i will definantly check that out. would you mind tellin me why you choose that locker?

Quick Reply: Tired of the one tire fire!