2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

CD Deck and speakers

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 04:54 PM
nick1011
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CD Deck and speakers

I'm looking to change out my deck and speakers, so what is compatible with a 2001 Dakota Sport extended cab?? Not looking to add a sub and amp. Just looking to replace the stock speackers for some better sound and deck for tuning.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:37 PM
ebrperk
Rookie

This what I got and it sounds great, I love the bluetooth hands free calling

http://www.crutchfield.com/app/cart/default.aspx

Old 03-19-2012, 03:04 PM
5hundo
Professional

Originally Posted by ebrperk
This what I got and it sounds great, I love the bluetooth hands free calling

http://www.crutchfield.com/app/cart/default.aspx
You got an empty shopping cart...?

...I just ordered a pair of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-TS-D17...2183975&sr=1-2

They're not in yet but I'll let you know how they work out.

Old 03-19-2012, 06:15 PM
Dakota Greg
Professional

For whats compatible, almost any CD deck, and in my truck all speakers are 6.5" rounds. Soo any of those will work,

Old 03-19-2012, 08:08 PM
ebrperk
Rookie

Sorry, the link must have to read my cookies. Alpine CDE-133BT head unit and four Alpine SPR-50C speakers

Old 03-21-2012, 02:31 PM
nick1011
Amateur

thanks guys. I've looked around and i think i've found a good set up. I'm thinking i'll buy everything from like Canadain Tire and take it to the local sound shop and have them install it, I just dont got the time to do the installation.

Oh is it a no-no to get a JVC deck and Boss speakers, you know crossing brands?

Old 03-21-2012, 03:44 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

No problems with mixing brands but I would stay far away from Boss speakers. They are not very good quality. I bought a new JVC KD-R720 deck a couple weeks ago, it is great. It has a lot of good features and it has front and rear USB inputs. It has great sound quality and its Ipod integration and control is a a whole lot better than some other decks I have owned. It is good to be able to use my Ipod in my truck again, stashed in the glove box with no cords or cables hanging down out of a front USB input. JVC is great quality.

Jimmy

Last edited by 01SilverCC; 03-21-2012 at 03:49 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:14 PM
5hundo
Professional

Originally Posted by 5hundo
I just ordered a pair of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-TS-D17...2183975&sr=1-2

...I'll let you know how they work out.
So, I got one of the speakers installed last night and the first thing I will say is that the installation was a breeze! Theses speakers come with a universal bracket that adapts to the mounting holes of the Dakota perfectly. You have the option to use 1 wide and 1 small solderless connector for the wires but I soldered the wires on instead.

I started comparing the new Pioneer speakers to OEM by fading to full back and balancing left to right. The mid-range and trebble on the Pioneers are like night and day! These are so much clearer and crisp. I didn't realize it before but the midrange on the OEM speakers is almost non-existent. With these speakers, your favorite guitar rifts come through clean and clear. The bass, however, is at least the same and possibly slightly less intense than the OEM speakers; although it could be that more intense mid-range is just making the bass seem less intense. I think that maybe because these Pioneers are capable of handling so much more power than they are currently using, the stock head unit isn't really pushing them that hard. Let's face it, though: if you want window-rattling bass, you're going to have to add a sub and then, these speakers are going to be a good compliment. I'm not saying that's what I'm going to do but I think for the money, these speakers are okay. Just don't expect to impress the teenagers next to you at the stoplight...

Old 03-21-2012, 05:09 PM
nick1011
Amateur

Thanks 5hundo. I cant really add a sub due to I only have the extended cab. And between my Search and Rescue gear (90L duffle bag, 45L backpack, 2or3 pairs of boots, and a large first aid kit), and the regular crap that is back there it's really hard to put a sub back there!!

Unless I get a canopy or tonneau cover, a sub is out of the question till then.

Anybody got JVC speakers in there trucks or cars??

Old 03-21-2012, 10:36 PM
ahsnowlover
Veteran

Crutchfield has a sub box for the extended cab dakotas that sit under the rear seat so you don't loose any space back there. http://www.crutchfield.com/p_236DDXP...ms.html?tp=113

Quick Reply: CD Deck and speakers