2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Cleaning the throttle body tomorrow!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 12:51 AM
tnvols123
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning the throttle body tomorrow!

Are there any precautions I need to take or any common problems encountered? I plan to 1) disconnect negative battery cable 2) unplug necessary sensors 3) remove cables 4) remove bolts. Let me know if I missed anything besides the obvious. Also what kind of improvements should I see? Thanks in advance guys

Old 03-31-2012, 10:06 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Default this may help

this may help I belive this is for a V6 but cant tell but everything is close to the same all same parts.

With Pic's http://www.dakota-durango.com/forum/...d.php?t=105835

Old 03-31-2012, 12:03 PM
tnvols123
Rookie

Definitely helped! Thanks Dak

Old 03-31-2012, 03:59 PM
tnvols123
Rookie

Well having 185,xxx miles on the truck, this was probably it's first throttle body cleaning. TBDirtytop.jpgTBCleanTop.jpgTBbottomdirty.jpgTBbottomclean.jpgThank you Dak for your link. It walked me through every step. I appreciate it!

Old 04-01-2012, 01:31 PM
Brian_
Captain

how did it go? probably not a bad idea to give mine a good cleaning, i see i have a bit of oil in the bottom of my tb when i opened it to full throttle to look inside.

Old 04-02-2012, 12:04 AM
tnvols123
Rookie

went great just follow that link Dak gave and you'll do fine. My truck seems to be running more smoothly and my check engine light that always was on went off. Definitely worth it!

Old 04-02-2012, 01:33 AM
macgollabhride
Professional
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 98DAKAZ
this may help I belive this is for a V6 but cant tell but everything is close to the same all same parts.

With Pic's http://www.dakota-durango.com/forum/...d.php?t=105835
The link that you offered-up is in invaluable! I just went through a huge leap of repairs on my Dakota – half by me the other half via a mechanic in order to pass inspection. I initially failed emissions due to a faulty upstream O2 sensor which I didn’t even realize due to the fact that my Dakota was sold to me with the ‘Check Engine’ and ‘Check Gauges’ light bulbs were physically missing from my cluster.
Anyways;
As a precaution, I'm replacing my MAP sensor sometime this week whenever it arrives in the mail. I knew, full-well, that it would be a good idea to clean out the throttle body and replace the gasket but looking at it under my hood, with the cables, connectors, and the general unknown (in my mind) was very off-putting to me. The step-by-step photos, in that link were exactly what I needed for me to get comfortable with the idea if tackling it myself.
Thanks again for that.

l

Old 04-02-2012, 01:40 AM
macgollabhride
Professional
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by tnvols123
Are there any precautions I need to take or any common problems encountered? I plan to 1) disconnect negative battery cable 2) unplug necessary sensors 3) remove cables 4) remove bolts. Let me know if I missed anything besides the obvious. Also what kind of improvements should I see? Thanks in advance guys
This thread really helped me out. I wish there was a way to bump-up, hi-lite or at least vote (like a Facebook 'like' button) treads like this for the newbies like myself.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:17 PM
macgollabhride
Professional
Thumbs up

I cleaned my throttle body this afternoon, replaced the gasket and replaced my MAP sensor.
It was incredibly easy to do; I'm mighty proud of myself . It wasn't as dirty asI had expected but I cleaned it anyways. I used that Sea Foam stuff and, except for where the throttle plates pivot in the assembly, I hardly had to use a toothbrush - I mostly used a rag.
My Dakota feels like a totally different truck now - for the way better! The idle is smooth as glass, it's quieter and it doesn't feel like its struggling when I accelerate. I'm totally stoked!

I do have a newbie/novice question:
I did remove both wires to the battery and now the CEL is off. I doubt cleaning the TB and replacing the MAP would have actually corrected my CEL issue - it would be great if it did but seriously doubt it.
I imagine that you have to drive so many miles in order to re-trip the CEL? If so, around how many miles is that? I drove around for a couple miles after the work that I did this afternoon but the light never came back on.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:38 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Well disconnecting your batter will temporarily clear your CEL; but if the problem still exists that has tripped it; it will return.. when it does go to Autozone or somewhere that will pull and tell you the codes for free. and then bring the codes here to the forums and we can sifer through them in the most logical order sometimes they will have multiple codes.. one sensor can trigger 3 codes.. for each sensor that depends on the first.. LOL..

But anyways there is nothing wrong with cleaning the TB. When i did mine i cleared the little reverse to Drive die problem. But i screwed up the IAC cus i pushed on it and turned it LOL now it clicks..

I just replaced my map from a guy on E-bay that i got a New delphi (Great manufacture) for 21 bucks with shipping. Got it today installed and i can already feel a slight difference.

Next is replace the IAC and the solinoids in the tranny that is causing a float shift from time to 2nd to 3rd.

Quick Reply: Cleaning the throttle body tomorrow!