2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

dodge dakota no start

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 11:17 AM
Tower70987
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dodge dakota no start

i have a 2002 dakota 4.7 v8 i got error codes to replace speed sensors and error code for cam and crank position sensors to be replaced i have replaced all with new sensors speed sensors first truck running replaces cam position sensor still running replaced crank position sensor was running for a bit now i have a no start when it turns over it sounds like its not spinning the whole engine and i cant hear the gas igniting like its starving for gas has 193000k on it any suggestions

Old 07-24-2012, 07:07 PM
carnestruck
Default having similar problem

Hello to all. This is my first post here and I am hoping to find some resolution to an issue I have with a 1998 dodge dakota, not producing any fire. It is 2 wheel drive, 3.2 V-8.
It all started with a leak at the timing chain cover gasket. I admit when it comes to autos I can sometimes know just enough to get me in trouble. However. after researching ,although the labor involved was quite timely, it seemed pretty straight forward. I followed step by step instructions and felt I had done a pretty thorough job. Used extreme caution in all areas. Anyway got the thing back together and have no fire. I researched some more and really cannot see that anything I would have messed with would cause this type of issue. So, decided I better go a little deeper in research. My check engine light was on so I bought a scanner. The code was PO 340. Camshaft position sensor. So I replaced.- Nothing. Read that sometimes you can get this reading and it be the Crankshaft position sensor. So I replaced.- Nothing. And I cleared the code after changing both of these. I double checked all my connections. Looking for loose ground. Checked all relays and fuses.-all look good. Check battery power.Checked power from alternator. Still no fire. I have a family member who is a mechanic. He stopped by the house and he basically checked everything I did and went a little deeper. He is just as baffled as I am. He suggest changing the coil and the ignition module. But before I did that I wanted to post here to get any additional ideas. I am a little confuse that anything I did would have caused this issue. Like I said I used extreme caution -even disconnecting the negative battery cable. Is there anything inside the timing housing tha I might have hit in putting it back together that would cause my truck not to fire? Any help offered would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Old 07-24-2012, 09:03 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Carne, it helps us all if you start your own thread and not piggyback on an existing.

Tower, check all the wiring. Do you still have the old cam and crank position sensors? Try swapping them out. When you say it sounds like it's not "spinning the whole engine" can you see the fan turning when you crank?

You might want to also check the connection to the PCM for fluid contamination.

Scan for codes again.

Carne,

You have the 5.2 liter engine. I'd be looking real hard at the crankshaft position sensor. Is it installed correctly? Is the vibration dampener on correctly?

The "camshaft position sensor" is really a pickup in the distributor. Are you sure you have it installed correctly?

Pull a plug wire, hold it near a ground, and have someone crank the engine looking for a spark.

No offense to your "mechanic" but there is no "ignition module" as such, it's called the powertrain control module (PCM) and it does much more than control the ignition.

Old 07-25-2012, 06:50 AM
carnestruck
Default my apologies

My apologies for the piggyback. like I said am new here and could not figure out how to post new thread when I piggybacked.

No offense taken about the "mechanic" do not think he is much of a "mechanic" anyway. That is why I am seeking other opinions.

I am confident I hooked up the CPS correct and I have checked for fire at spark plug? Is there anything inside the timing cover that could keep the engine from producing fire? Far as I can tell in my research there is not.
Thanks

Old 07-25-2012, 07:59 AM
Tower70987

Ty for info I'll check and redo the crank sensor found next to no spark one spark per 20 turns as for the fan yes but either I have no spark or no gas going to the spark or both plugs don't smell like gas and spark is minimal after tedious hours exploring

Last edited by Tower70987; 07-25-2012 at 08:17 AM. Reason: more info
Old 07-25-2012, 09:51 AM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by carnestruck
I am confident I hooked up the CPS correct and I have checked for fire at spark plug? Is there anything inside the timing cover that could keep the engine from producing fire? Far as I can tell in my research there is not.
Thanks
No, there isn't anything in the timing cover that would cause a "no start" condition. You didn't change the timing chain or anything else, just a leaky gasket.

You may have damaged the crankshaft position sensor during the install though but I see you changed it.

Double check for codes. Is there any spark?

Old 07-25-2012, 05:38 PM
RYCOMA79
Professional

check the voltage from the PCM to the coil had a friends Dakota cook this connection In the PCM no spark or intermittent but without it no spark.

Old 07-25-2012, 06:25 PM
carnestruck
Default no- no spark

I have no spark at all from the plugs or at the coil. It will turn over but no fire.

Old 07-26-2012, 07:17 AM
Tower70987

Replace your crankshaft position sensor that got my no spark sparking

Old 07-26-2012, 05:29 PM
RYCOMA79
Professional

like I said check 12 volt signal wire to coil and check the coil see if you have the propor voltage if not follow it back to the PCM check it there. to check the coil use a volt meter to check ohms not to sure what it should read be Sure to check primary windings and secondary windings. both crank and camshaft sensors can be checked this way as well you check the signal wire for 5 volts it should switch on and off while cranking motor. I believe you have to use an anolog meter for these two sensors

Quick Reply: dodge dakota no start