2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Speedometer not working. ABS and Brake light will not turn off.

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 07:38 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

It can account for the stalling too.

Old 09-07-2012, 07:21 PM
freegurl21
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation frustrated!!!

So me and my mechanical friend began pulling the abs/speedometer sensor from the diff on the rear axle and it turns out that it was very rusty and came apart in pieces. So everything that was above the diff is off and everything that is still inside the hole is still in there!
Did this happen to any of you when changing this sensor?
If so how did you get the rest of the sensor out. We were thinking of using an EZ out 11/16.

Please help!!!

Old 10-06-2014, 03:50 AM
kimbrog
Default stummped

So I've read the forum..ok so I have my abs brake and airbag light on and speedometer does not work...I've changed the input and output sensors on the rear and on the transmission..I've changed out all possible fuses and solenoid. .still have same issues..All this did not happen en until I changed out my battery..

Old 10-06-2014, 07:52 AM
Confussed02

When i changed the fluid on my read diff. on my 99 Dakota, i broke that sensor on the top of it. Barely touched the damn thing & it snapped in half. I honestly didnt know what it was till i drove the truck to O'reilly's to buy a new one & realized my speedo didn't work. But once i replaced it with a new, all was good.

Old 09-05-2015, 05:22 PM
lippeni
Default Almost the same situation

I have a 1998 Dakota. Driving down the interstate and all of a sudden no speedometer. 2 or 3 minutes later ABS and BRAKE light came on. Swapped out rear wheel speed sensor and now speedometer works. Now I need to figure out how to clear the warning lights. Code scanner wont clear them.

Old 03-12-2016, 04:38 PM
Daniel Rebuffoni
Default Same problem with mine

Did you fix this problem?

Old 09-14-2017, 07:52 PM
redlightgrp
Default Speedometer not working, abs, brake light, will not turn off

I had a so-called mechanic change my fuel pump on my 1998 Dodge Durango. I picked up my Durango and drove down the road to find out I had very little to no brakes. I checked the master cylinder to find it was empty and put more in, then I noticed a brake line leak right by the fuel tank. I took it back to the mechanic right away. The next day he said it was ready. He put a hose on the line that he or his helper broke, which I didn't know at that time. I drove down the road and noticed that I had no speedometer and the abs and brake lights were on. I have changed the rear abs sensor on the pumpkin( but it came with a extension piece or harness), I've changed the transmission output speed sensor, I fixed the hose issue with brake line....... and I still have no speedometer and the lights are still on....................... any ideas anyone????????? I'm lost.
P.S. could have running low or out of brake fluid have caused the lights to come on and or damaged another sensor some where?

Last edited by redlightgrp; 09-14-2017 at 07:58 PM. Reason: adding on more.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:59 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,365 Likes on 3,107 Posts

Need to know what year your Durango is, and then you need to post in the Correct DURANGO section.

Old 09-15-2017, 10:31 AM
redlightgrp

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Need to know what year your Durango is, and then you need to post in the Correct DURANGO section.
In my opening paragraph, I said 1998 Durango.

Old 09-15-2017, 11:55 AM
redlightgrp

Originally Posted by redlightgrp
In my opening paragraph, I said 1998 Durango.
I'm sorry if I put this in the wrong place. It's my first time using this forum.

Quick Reply: Speedometer not working. ABS and Brake light will not turn off.