2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Brakes Pulse While Stopped 98 Dakota

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 03:53 AM
sl2racer
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by magnethead
The thing that everybody is missing, is that it only does it at a stand-still or crawl. That alone removes any moving parts from the equation, and leaves the vacuum booster and ABS system.

Since the ABS fuse affects it, we can point to ABS.

Sounds to me like the accumulator valve is stuck in a partially open/closed state. Like, a piece of trash is stuck under the plunger.
hehe i didn't miss it. i just don't know enough about the parts of the abs system to offer any solid possiable leads. i do agree with junk in the fluid making a valve leak and i also like the rear diff fluid change idea. that is only because i don't know exactly were the rear abs is read but changing rearend fluid is never a bad idea.

Old 05-03-2013, 05:58 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

But if that was the case wouldn't it be pulsing all the time not just some of the time?

Why would a stuck valve only affect some braking at certain times.

Now a defective booster possibly as at Idle you would have less vacuum so maybe all he has is a vacuum leak or bad check valve.

A complete flush of the DOT 3 is a good Idea not just bleeding if something is sticking the ABS that's why I always recommend it.

I wonder if he has tried going some place safe no traffic and slamming his brakes a few times put a heavy load on the system see if it frees something up worth a try I do this with new brakes to brake them in and test them out.

You could say an ABS test also

Last edited by 98DAKAZ; 05-03-2013 at 06:06 AM.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:13 PM
jasonmalone
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I will be attempting the following and let you know if it resolves it.

Clean Rear Differential Oil
Check ABS Computer
Check ABS Accumulator Valve
Check Brake Booster
-Vacuum leak
-bad Check Valve
Flush DOT 3 (brake Fluid) (though, this was just done with the brake job I did, a complete bleed of the lines)

Old 05-05-2013, 01:19 AM
magnethead
Legend
Received 155 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by 98DAKAZ
But if that was the case wouldn't it be pulsing all the time not just some of the time?

Why would a stuck valve only affect some braking at certain times.

Now a defective booster possibly as at Idle you would have less vacuum so maybe all he has is a vacuum leak or bad check valve.

A complete flush of the DOT 3 is a good Idea not just bleeding if something is sticking the ABS that's why I always recommend it.

I wonder if he has tried going some place safe no traffic and slamming his brakes a few times put a heavy load on the system see if it frees something up worth a try I do this with new brakes to brake them in and test them out.

You could say an ABS test also
I was reading a topic elsewhere's that a piece of trash made the accumulator valve stick open, and he energized it manually and pumped the brake several times and cleared it out.

Quick Reply: Brakes Pulse While Stopped 98 Dakota