2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Question with installing a Remote Start on a 2000 Dakota Quad Cab (01SilverCC?)

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 10:12 PM
huseman808
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question with installing a Remote Start on a 2000 Dakota Quad Cab (01SilverCC?)

I am putting in a Crimestopper Remote Start that I picked up from a garage sale into my truck.

Here is a few of the wire locations of certain components for the truck.

Now, in my remote start manual it states that if I connect a certain green wire to somewhere in my truck that can receive 3 consecutive (-)negative pulses, the remote start will activate. My goal is to be able to push the lock button 3 times on my Factory Dodge Keypad to start the truck.

Problem is, I am pretty sure that the locks in my truck operate on (+)positive reverse polarity pulses for the lock/unlock via a common ground thus completing the circuit with either wire for the desired operation.

Here is the excerpt from my manual. (i.e. Mode 2)
Untitled1.png

Can anybody help me hook this up so that it will operate the way that I want it too?

Old 09-30-2012, 10:55 PM
huseman808
Captain

So ive been doing a little research on how to make a Positive pulse into a negative pulse via the use of a relay.

This should work how I want it to right?
Untitled3.png

Thanks

Old 09-30-2012, 11:30 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

The wire color diagram you have posted there for your truck is not for a 2001, That info is for a 2000 and earlier Dakota. 2001 Dakota's have the one-wire door lock system. In the driver's kick panel at the Central Timer Module, connector #2, pin #4 there should be an orange/black wire. This is the lock motor wire, I believe it is a positive pulse, but you need to test it with a voltmeter to be sure. You can tap into that wire and use a relay to change the output from positive to negative, if the wire is positive:

terminal 86 to the lock motor wire
terminal 85 to ground
terminal 87 to ground
terminal 30 goes to the trigger input wire on the remote start

You can also change the factory keyless entry system to honk the horn when you lock the doors with the keyless entry remote. If yours does not honk the horn, the procedure to change it is in the owner's manual, but all you do is turn the ignition key to on/run, do not start the engine, press and hold the unlock button for about 5 to 10 seconds. At the same time the unlock button is being pressed, press the lock button and then release both buttons. The chime in the truck will sound one time to indicate the horn function has been enabled again.

If your keyless entry system honks the horn on lock, then you do not need to use a relay or interface with the door locks. Just tap your negative input trigger wire for your remote start into the black/red horn wire at the steering column wire harness. It is already a negative output, and doing the remote start trigger this way is much easier. If it were my own truck, that is how I would do it.

Jimmy

Edit: sorry for the delay in my reply here. I wrote a long reply earlier because I thought you had a 2000 Dakota. The door locks on a 2000 are very different from a 2001...

Hope that helps you out.

Last edited by 01SilverCC; 10-01-2012 at 12:23 AM.
The following users liked this post:
V8Cowboy (09-18-2021)
Old 09-30-2012, 11:32 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by huseman808
So ive been doing a little research on how to make a Positive pulse into a negative pulse via the use of a relay.

This should work how I want it to right?

Thanks
No, you need to reverse 87 and 30. Put ground on 87 and connect 30 to the green trigger wire on the remote start unit. When wiring relays the best way to see it is as a switch. Whatever you put on 87 is going to be sent out to 30 when the relay is energized. 87 can be thought of as the "input" to the switch and 30 is the "output".

Jimmy

Old 10-01-2012, 12:13 AM
huseman808
Captain

I never thought about using the horn as the negative trigger, but that is a good idea. Ill see if i can get my horn to beep each time i press my lick button on my keypad. If not, i have noted your advice on how to hook up the relay.

I have yet to investigate to see which type of door lock system i have in my truck. Ill mess with it in the days to come, and thank you for the help. I always know where to go when i have any RS questions with these trucks. Thanks Jimmy.

Terry

Old 10-01-2012, 12:22 AM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker

I am glad to help out. I don't know which reply you saw, the first one I sent was very long because I thought you had a 2000 Dakota. Electronically speaking, 2001 Dakota's are very different from 2000's so I went up and edited my first reply. You can change the programming of the factory keyless entry system so it will honk the horn when you lock the doors with the remote. The procedure is in my edited reply and is also on page 15 and 16 of your owner's manual. Using the horn output wire would be the easiest method to trigger the remote start.

Jimmy

Last edited by 01SilverCC; 10-01-2012 at 12:25 AM.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:02 AM
huseman808
Captain

Yes i do actually have a 2000 model year dakota. I used to have a 2001, i just never updated my vehicle here on Dodgeforum. Sorry for the confusion.

With using the horn as the trigger, would pressing the horn 3 times on the steering wheel also start the vehicle?

Old 10-01-2012, 08:12 AM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker

Yes it would start the truck if you reached in the window and honked the horn 3 times. Here is my original reply to your post. Door locks in a 2000 Dakota can be hard to figure out because they used several different configurations.

You need to be sure what type of door lock system you have. Some 2000 Dakota's had a 5 wire reverse polarity door lock system, and some were a positive pulse system, I seem to remember those were the ones that had the factory keyless entry system. Some late production 2000 Dakota's had the one-wire system that was controlled by the Central Timer Module. If your truck has a CTM in the driver's kick panel you have the later model system and will need to find an alternate trigger for your remote start. If you have no CTM and you have located the orange/purple and pink/purple door lock wires, it is easy to identify what system you have. Cut one of the wires. If you lose all operation of the power door locks from the switches on either door, you have a reverse polarity system. Some Dakota's had a Type A positive pulse system. It is hard for me to tell which system you have without seeing it.

If it were me I would not fool around with using the door lock wires as a remote start trigger. There is a much easier way to do what you are trying to do. I believe in 2000 the factory keyless entry system could be programmed to honk the horn when you lock and unlock the truck with the factory remote control. The procedure to make the horn honk on lock/unlock is in the owner's manual.

Once you get the horn beeping on lock, then just pick up the horn honk trigger wire at the steering column wire harness. The wire is black/red and it is already a negative trigger. Use that wire and when the horn honks 3 times when you hit the lock button 3 times it should activate the remote start.

If you don't want to use the horn, be sure you have the reverse polarity type of door lock system. Then just tap into the negative side of the door lock circuit, you just need to verify with a volt meter that you are using the ground side of the circuit. On that pink/purple wire you should have ground every time the door is locked, whether from the switch on the door panel or the keyless entry remote. When you press the unlock button there should be 12 volts positive on that pink/purple wire. That is how reverse polarity works, it has power and ground and the door lock motor works in one direction only, when the power and ground are reversed the motor will move in the opposite direction only.

If you have a positive door lock system then just use a relay to change the positive door lock signal to a negative. You can use a plain old Bosch 30 amp relay. Tap into the positive door lock wire and connect it to terminal 86. Put ground to 85 and 87. Connect terminal 30 to the input trigger wire of your remote start.

Door locks on 2000 model Dodges can be tricky. Most of them had reverse polarity systems but there are some out there that had the single wire setup too. If you have the horn honk on your keyless entry, that is the easiest way to set up your remote start input.

Jimmy

Old 10-01-2012, 05:13 PM
huseman808
Captain

So I just went out and checked and I definitely have the Reverse Polarity Setup.

-When I push LOCK I have 12vdc on the Orange/Purple, and a ground on the Pink/Purple.

-When I push UNLOCK I have a ground the Orange/Purple and 12vdc on the Pink/Purple.

So... If I choose not to use the horn (-) trigger, I should be able to use the Pink/Purple since that is the wire the receives the ground when LOCK is pushed.

My last question would be...When UNLOCK is pushed, the green wire for the remote start will receive a pulse of 12vdc. Can this have any negative(pun) effects to my RS unit?

Thanks for your brilliance

Old 10-01-2012, 08:45 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker

Good point. You can just wire in a relay on the lock wire. Then the relay would only pulse ground to the remote start trigger wire when you push the lock button and nothing would happen when you push the unlock button. In other words, when the lock wire has positive voltage on it, it will send positive voltage to one side of the coil, which is either terminal 85 or 86, depending on how you wire the relay, and it does not matter which terminal receives which input, as long as you have power on one and ground on the other. 85 and 86 are the coil inputs that cause the relay to make contact or break contact between 87 and 30 or 87a and 30. If you wire the relay in the circuit, the relay will not work if it gets 12 volts on both sides of the coil, so it would not be able to send 12 volts into the remote start unit. When the relay sees power on 86 and ground on 85, if you have ground on 87 then it will send ground to 30, which can trigger the remote start.

This is why the horn trigger is easier. You do not need a relay or have to worry about any reverse polarity voltage spikes hitting the remote start trigger.

Jimmy

Quick Reply: Question with installing a Remote Start on a 2000 Dakota Quad Cab (01SilverCC?)