2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

46RE old style NSS trans convert to TRS switch

Old 10-08-2012, 06:32 PM
Chipbeckwith
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 46RE old style NSS trans convert to TRS switch

I was recently frauded by a transmission shop to install a 46RE that had the correct square TRS switch installed on it. 2 months later I finaly get the truck running good to find out the transmision indicator only shows park and thats it. I remove the switch to find the old style Blue cam for the Neutral Safety Switch in place of the green cam that comes with the TRS that my truck has. I have seen the Sonnex adapter for the reverse situation i am in, however ,how can I fix this.I have my old trans, can I remove the cam and install in the place of it. Has anyone else run up on this stump, and if so what did you do?

Old 10-10-2012, 07:58 PM
Chipbeckwith
Default Has anybody even heard of someone in this situation...I am grasoing at straws here

I have a 2002 Dodge Dakota R/T with a 46RE that pooped out 2nd gear..(big surprise). I was sold a replacement to get me by until I got my daily driver back going while I repair my original with the good high performance parts to reinstall.
They stuck a square TRS on an older style NSS transmission, so now my TRS only shows PARK. THe cam that operates the TRS/NSS is different, what I need to know is has anybody succesfully pulled the cam acuater off a TRS transmission and put it in a NSS with succes, and is it a direct swap. TRS is the newer style TRansmision Range Switch and the NSS is the Neutral Safety Switch.
Any help would confirm that my post was read... thanks guys

Old 04-06-2014, 12:50 PM
IROCanR/T
Default stumped

I am in this same dilemma. Swapping a pre '01 46re into my '02 Ram. What I have read on here is that, besides the NSS/TRS, the governor pressure sensor also changed.

Am trying to see if there is a harness adapter that will allow me to plug the truck's 5-pin TRS harness into the older transmission's NSS sensor without any further muss or fuss. Sonnex makes something to go the other direction, but also involves changing the internal lever.

After that, I still need to do something about the GPS (Governor Pressure Sensor...in this case).

If anyone has any input it would be greatly appreciated. THANK YOU.

Old 04-06-2014, 01:25 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 152 Likes on 139 Posts

this is an old post, but for the sake of the answer, master_tech on here is transmission guy that may know the answer. I sent him a note to look here.

Last edited by magnethead; 04-06-2014 at 01:30 PM.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:54 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

The 46RE transmission has a safety neutral switch and a three four shift solenoid wire harness coming thru the transmission case. The solenoid connector is also for you governor solenoid, transducer and lock up for the torque converter. Dodge did change to a newer safety neutral switches in the newer 1500 bodies. One switch had a long square connector and the switch would screw into the transmission case, the other switch was a 4 or 5 wire connector and the switch was held in with two number 20 torques. If you have the transmission that has the switch screws into the case. Replace the switch that fits your harness. And you need to replace the rooster comb on the valve body, Then replace the valve body for the year of your truck.

The following users liked this post:
Georgeharry (01-12-2021)
Old 08-04-2018, 04:47 PM
Dumptruckbetty
Default Help

We have an 01 Durango with 5 pin coming out of harness the 46re we put in has the 3 pin for the nss. What can we do as far as being able to plug all the wires in. I know Sonnex has an adapter but its opposite of what we need any help here this project has been drug out too long and our brains are fried from too much information. Need some help here please

Old 02-05-2019, 04:25 PM
jr thompson
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by master tech
The 46RE transmission has a safety neutral switch and a three four shift solenoid wire harness coming thru the transmission case. The solenoid connector is also for you governor solenoid, transducer and lock up for the torque converter. Dodge did change to a newer safety neutral switches in the newer 1500 bodies. One switch had a long square connector and the switch would screw into the transmission case, the other switch was a 4 or 5 wire connector and the switch was held in with two number 20 torques. If you have the transmission that has the switch screws into the case. Replace the switch that fits your harness. And you need to replace the rooster comb on the valve body, Then replace the valve body for the year of your truck.
I have both trannys my original one is the round screw in that fits my truck harness the 01 trans I bought has the blk square plug that just pops in & is held w/torque screws how do I modify it bk to screw in round style please!

Georgeharry (01-12-2021)
Old 02-07-2019, 10:27 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 152 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by jr thompson
I have both trannys my original one is the round screw in that fits my truck harness the 01 trans I bought has the blk square plug that just pops in & is held w/torque screws how do I modify it bk to screw in round style please!
JR, Sonnax makes an adapter that presses into the transmission and is internally threaded to accept the old sensor.

Old 02-08-2019, 04:03 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,169 Likes on 2,923 Posts

Originally Posted by magnethead
JR, Sonnax makes an adapter that presses into the transmission and is internally threaded to accept the old sensor.
Thank You. Good to know.

Old 01-12-2021, 10:00 AM
Xombi
Professional
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by master tech
I know that this is an old thread.
I have a 2001 2500 5.9 v8 and am putting in a 2002 2500 van transmission case.

I put in the sonnex adaptor. To use a 3 pin plug.

If I read it correctly both the valve body and the rooster comb have to be replaced?

It would seem less troublesome to go back to the five wire plug and make a 5 wire to 3 wire adapter.

Is that possible?

Georgeharry (01-12-2021)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 46RE old style NSS trans convert to TRS switch