2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

1997 Dakota, not much heat

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 04:36 PM
mtmer1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 Dakota, not much heat

I have a '97 Dakota with a 3.9. It doesn't have a lot of heat. Coolant level is fine, engine heats up fine, both heater hoses get warm.

Old 11-20-2012, 05:30 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Welcome to the forums.

Are you sure the engine is reaching normal temp? The thermostat could be failing.

A common problem is a partially clogged heater core. You can try to flush it. Disconnect the hoses and run water through it, then add some radiator flush and let it sit for a bit, then flush it some more.

Or, if it's been a while, flush the entire system.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:22 PM
spltshft

I am having the same sort of issue with mine. I have a 99 with the 3.9 and I barley get the temp guage into the normail operating range. It has been gettinbg colder here and I dont have a long commute so I have even tried pluging in the block heater but no success. Any one know what the stock thermistat is set to crack at.

Old 11-21-2012, 08:46 AM
jcw3

That is a common problem. Seems as if the heater core gets blocked or clogged up with slimy gunk. When this happens you will get very little hot air, or NONE. I usually back-flush the heater core about once a year on my 99 (V8) Dakota, which tends to keep the hot air moving fine.

A water hose will do the job, but I have found it works better to put some water in the lines and use a air compressor to blast the gunk out. Usually takes 5 minutes to get everything ready and about another 5-10 minutes to flush it.

I should take the time to do a total flush, but I have been living life in the fast lane.

Old 11-21-2012, 10:20 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Yup.. had same problem with mine.. did a back flush on the core spit out brown crap and then ran the hose till the water was clear.. then flushed opposite way.. put back together; burp the system and boom had heat..

Only other thing is to make sure you have the right T-Stat and that it's working. You'll get less hot heat off a 180 than a 195 of course.

Old 11-21-2012, 11:39 AM
Robbadodge
Veteran

Originally Posted by spltshft
I am having the same sort of issue with mine. I have a 99 with the 3.9 and I barley get the temp guage into the normail operating range. It has been gettinbg colder here and I dont have a long commute so I have even tried pluging in the block heater but no success. Any one know what the stock thermistat is set to crack at.
Barely in the temp range I assume means just above the left line, not near the middle.

Seems the t-stat needs replaced. Some other replies probably have good engine heat but it is not transferring through their heater core, thus back-flushing helps them.

Not sure if you want the 180 or 195 t-stat... depends what was working well for you before.

My $.02, good luck!

Old 11-21-2012, 01:03 PM
mtmer1

My scan tool had the temp at around 200 degrees after it was fully warmed up. I bought some coolant flush stuff and will be blowing out the heater core with my hose.

Old 11-21-2012, 02:13 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Mt,

I think you'll find it's a blocked heater core. It's not moving enough water from your description.

Old 11-21-2012, 05:34 PM
mtmer1

Got everything flushed. Pretty confident it was just a plugged heater core. It was almost 50 degrees so it's kind of hard to tell but it definitely felt warmer. I really didn't notice too much nasty come out of either side of the heater core hoses, though.

Old 11-21-2012, 06:31 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

the other issue is the door not switching to heat side.. you might check and make sure the hose right under the driver side is plugged in there.. its a vacuum hose. make sure it's on there good and an also check to make sure it's getting good vacuum and ou don't have a leak somewhere.

Quick Reply: 1997 Dakota, not much heat