2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Funny noise from front end

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 04:02 PM
bluekoda
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Funny noise from front end

Hi,
I recently bought an 04 Dodge Dakota V8 quadcab, No problems & still under warranty, I live in Jersey, where obviously at the moment it is very cold. I recently noticed a low roar/humming like sound from my front end. To me, it sounds like something isnt turning right, because when i am parked & the car is on, no sounds. But when on the highway or cruising its like a loud spinning sound almost. I read alot about a clutch fan problem, but watched all my gauges and I have no overheating problems. My tires are fine, and to my knowledge everything is working. I just changed the oil not even 1,000 miles ago. Im not sure what it could be. I could take it back to the dealership for repair but its an automatic 100 bucks as is their policy, & im not going to bring it there if theres no problem. Does anyone else have this problem? Suggestions? The noise is almost constant, and when going 45+ it "spins" faster and going downhill "slower". I did wheel in the recent 12" snow we had. so I figure maybe road salt or snow. Being the kind of girl I am I honestly have no idea what to do.

Old 02-13-2013, 04:12 PM
MadisonDakota
All Star

When the truck is park, rev the engine up. Does the sound start to happen? If so, it's something engine related. (clutch fan will make it roar like a jet engine or something) If it doesn't make sound, start rolling with the windows down. <10mph. Do you hear anything?

It's quite possible you have a bad wheel bearing.

Old 02-13-2013, 04:19 PM
bluekoda

Originally Posted by MadisonDakota
When the truck is park, rev the engine up. Does the sound start to happen? If so, it's something engine related. (clutch fan will make it roar like a jet engine or something) If it doesn't make sound, start rolling with the windows down. <10mph. Do you hear anything?

i have parked the truck this morning, reved it sounds totally normal. I had originally thought it was the wheel well plastic sticking out because i had popped it back in cause it was making an annoying noise. its like a bumping you know? like rolling over a small pot hole constantly without the feeling. i rolled the windows down but generally on the highway i cant hear much. Ill try again tonight pulling in my driveway. its driving me insane

Old 02-13-2013, 09:50 PM
bluekoda

Originally Posted by MadisonDakota

I couldn't hear anything with the windows down it was too loud. I called the dealership and explained to them what I was hearing. How it got louder/quieter with acceleration/downhill. They said it was most likely as suspected a wheel baring issue. I made an appt. to drop it off on Saturday morning... The better question is now... Should it make it to Saturday 8Am if I have to drive it to class / work? (75 miles a day) we have really bad snow so I need it for the 4wd I just don't want to pop a tire

Old 02-13-2013, 11:57 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There is a pretty simple way to test a wheel bearing. Jack the truck up and grab the top and bottom of the tire push and pull to see if there is any movement. You can also stick a long cheater bar,lug wrench,crow bar under the tire and lift up and feel if the wheel moves. Do this for both sides. Takes about 5min. I would also call them back up and ask if they did a pinion seal before the truck was sold. They could of overtightened the pinion nut and it could be killing the pinion bearing. If its a wheel bearing you will be fine till sat its not gonna hurt anything(unless the noise gets louder than what it is)

Old 02-14-2013, 08:57 AM
bluekoda

Originally Posted by dodgeramguy85
There is a pretty simple way to test a wheel bearing. Jack the truck up and grab the top and bottom of the tire push and pull to see if there is any movement. You can also stick a long cheater bar,lug wrench,crow bar under the tire and lift up and feel if the wheel moves. Do this for both sides. Takes about 5min. I would also call them back up and ask if they did a pinion seal before the truck was sold. They could of overtightened the pinion nut and it could be killing the pinion bearing. If its a wheel bearing you will be fine till sat its not gonna hurt anything(unless the noise gets louder than what it is)
Thanks. I'm not strong enough to push a bar under the tire -_- haha. But yeah, the sound seemed to had subsided yesterday to the point where I didn't know if the dealer would think I'm hearing things, but this morning it was a pretty noticeable "bum bum bum" over the heat and radio. I needed it today cause it snowed and I needed 4wd I may just take my old 2wd Dakota tomorrow to play it safe. I've never heard of them sealing it, why would they do that I'm curious? Thanks.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:37 AM
Custer
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't drive with a bad bearing, with the amount of friction that is produced it could weld itself to the axle in no time.

Old 02-14-2013, 12:26 PM
bluekoda

Originally Posted by Custer
I wouldn't drive with a bad bearing, with the amount of friction that is produced it could weld itself to the axle in no time.
Well yeah, I wish it was just snow under my tires ... Would make life easy. I just need it to make 26 miles home tonight and then to the dealer Saturday 8AM. I don't think I should chance driving it tomorrow.

Old 02-14-2013, 12:39 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Jack the truck up then stick the bar under the tire lol I dont think anyone would be able to stick a bar under a tire with the truck sitting on the ground. As far as the seal it could of been leaking(usually higher mileage they start to leak,sometimes they can leak at lower mileage tho too) Anyway that was just another thought as to another thing making the sound.

Old 02-14-2013, 05:03 PM
bluekoda

Originally Posted by dodgeramguy85
Jack the truck up then stick the bar under the tire lol I dont think anyone would be able to stick a bar under a tire with the truck sitting on the ground. As far as the seal it could of been leaking(usually higher mileage they start to leak,sometimes they can leak at lower mileage tho too) Anyway that was just another thought as to another thing making the sound.
True, I mean I honestly have no idea WHAT it is, so I'm just gonna drive it to the dealership & let them play with it. May be a stupid question but I'm pretty sure I have a "power train" warranty? Or extended warranty. Any thoughts as to if anyone thinks that may be covered? A bad bearing? Cause I mean I had slammed my door and the window fell out the tracks & that was covered so I don't see why this wouldn't?

Quick Reply: Funny noise from front end