2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.
Old 08-10-2015, 07:07 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Tire Repair and Maintenance
Print Wikipost

Wheel hub/bearing replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 10:55 AM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Gentlemen,

We're getting a bit off topic here. If you want to continue this line of discussion please start a new thread in the "General Discussion" forum.

Thank you.

Old 03-14-2013, 06:29 PM
bpark8824
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dodgeramguy85
My 2 buddys and I had about an hr talk tonight one works at a normal we work on anything garage and my other buddy works in a chevy garage. I can tell you that dodges fall apart just the same as fords and chevys. Give me any truck you want and I bet you in 150k I can find the same problems or other things to replace. It all depends on the last owner and what the truck is. Im not gonna compare the life of my truck to an 1500 why well because there is no parts that are the same. Bigger trucks have bigger and more heavy duty items. 1 brake disc on my truck can be melted down and used to make 4 dakota discs. When you work on a lot of vehicles and are exposed to all the brands out there you will see that each have pros and cons. After a certain amount of miles they all need the same thing. Usually after about 100,000 miles is when parts start to get tired. Maybe I dont think replacing those parts are bad because of my driving style and what I do. Im always off road,in the mud,cutting wood,hauling it,hauling gravel,coal,ashes,scrap. Towing trailers,doing burn outs,abusing my truck when im in the mood. After all its a truck not a pirius.

Think about all the parts you listed. Now think about which ones never stop moving. They pretty much all do until you shut your truck off. So I find them under the usual replacement after so many miles. Now this would be a totally different story if your truck had 30-50,000 miles on it. Being around 150k is pretty normal. Now think of a truck that is 2,000lb heavier than your dakota(any full size f150,1500) Now it makes sense that they would have bigger and better ball joints on it than the dakota right? These more hd parts are gonna take longer to wear out.

Not trying to start an argument just stating the facts that you cant really compare a dakota to a full size and expect the same reliability. I mean yeah you could have a friend or 2 that have nothing but problems with their dodge but yet I could tell you I have a friend or 2 that have problems with their ford or chevy. Now if I had to choose a brand new truck out of the big 3 it would be a chevy/gmc. I personally love my buddys 6.2 gmc plenty of power and not that bad mpg.
Ramguy, I hear what you're saying. I'm in no way saying all Fords or all Chevy's are going to be better than all Dodges because that would simply be ridiculous. I see where you're coming from about larger trucks having strong parts, but it is all in scale. Yes, all full size trucks have stronger ball joints, but they weigh more so they need to be stronger. All I'm saying is that given two trucks, which are fairly close in size (which an 02 Dakota and 02 F-150 are) they should last a similar amount of time. Why should a truck slightly larger last 3x as long? Do you see what I'm saying?

I know why you're defending the Dakota, you're obviously a Dodge/Chrysler guy. I know you said you father has a Charger, and you've had a Dakota, Jeep, and now a Ram. I know you probably read what I say as offensive because its your brand. It would be like someone coming in here and talking trash about the NY Giants. They're my team, I'm going to stick up for them.

You say you're around trucks a lot and whatnot but so am I. Where I work has 5-6 company trucks all the time and we've had Toyota's, Dodge's, and Ford's. There is a reason we only buy Ford's now. These trucks see 45-50k+ miles a year, going to various logging jobs all around Conn, Mass, RI, and NY. They see plenty of bad dirt roads, logging roads, you name it. They also don't get maintained nearly enough because they're always on the road. I would know, my father drives one. The oil gets changed every 5-7k miles with regular cheap old dino oil and that's about it.

I owned a 1996 F-150 as my first truck and I beat the HELL out of it. I was a young and dumb 17 year old. I ran it through fields, did burnouts weekly, hauled fire wood constantly, hauled mine and a buddy's kx250f's and all our gear in the back all the time... you know what I mean, hell you probably are still that age. I used to drive it around the track we rode on and almost got it buried in sand numerous times. That truck was so solid. I never had to do a thing to it. My father gave it to me with around 100k on it and I drove it for 2-3 years and never replaced anything except tires (rear ones mostly). I still see it being driven around today as I pass the man who bought it from me on the way to work every now and then. She's still going strong at 17 years old. My last Dakota couldn't make it 10 years.

If you compare the Ram's we've had to the F-150's we've had, it doesn't even come close. The Ford's have been far more reliable. Over the course of the past 20 years, the company has probably gone through 10 F-150s and 5 Rams, so it's not like I'm comparing a single Ram to a single F-150.

I know at the end of the day this is a ridiculous argument because you're a Dodge guy and I'm on a Dodge Forum, so I guess I don't expect you to understand, but don't be so ignorant. This isn't the 1970's anymore, vehicles last much longer than 100,000 miles now-a-days. When you think about it, it really is crazy that they last so longer, but why can some companies build there vehicles to last 300,000 miles and Dodge can't break 150,000? My last Dakota had both the engine and trans go before 130,000 miles - I figured it was just a "lemon" and was bad luck which is why I bought another one. I figured this one being a 5 speed and a 4.7, it wouldn't have those same issues and for the most part the motor has been great, solid. The rest of the truck not so much.

Again, I understand you sticking up for the Dodge's but you have to admit that what has gone with my truck is ridiculous. No one should have to replace that much stuff before the truck hits 160,000 miles.

And to the mod... I did start the thread after all so it's not like we are blowing up someone elses... just let us go please... I'm sure it won't last too much longer, it's a pointless argument anyway.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:05 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Actually none of us are arguing(im not anyway lol) simply just a observation of brands. I get what you are saying. I like my dodges but im not 100% loyal to them. Heck I said I would buy a new chevy/gmc over a dodge lol. Also you are forgetting my dad owned an 02 f150. Never really had a problem with it other than it would go through coil packs like candy. Usually about 1 a year. I honestly didnt think that dakotas and f150's were about the same weight(200-400lb different). Only the ford super crew breaks the 5,000lb mark. I think the other thing you got to look at is where your truck was made if it was made in mexico maybe they used cheaper parts. I know guys that are chevy and ford owners that are doing what you are doing to your truck. To me I could hear a ford or chevy owner name all the parts your replaced and I wouldnt think twice. Here thats pretty normal. When I say normal I mean it around that amount of miles I dont care what you have ball joints are going,u joints and shocks. I know rams front ends suck but if you read up on what to do they are reliable. On my truck I went with a 06 ram 2500 front end which is proven to last and best part is everything is rebuildable. All brands have their pros and cons.

How about we both agree to disagree lol

Old 03-14-2013, 09:43 PM
Tom A
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm the service manager for a fleet of over 700 vehicles including Fords, Chevys, and Dodges. In my experience, they're pretty much all the same.

I used to be a die-hard Chevy guy (I can't even remember how many I've owned) but as I've gotten older, I've discovered it just really doesn't matter. People ask me all the time what kind of car they should buy. I tell them all to buy what they like. If it doesn't last at least 250k miles, they're doing something wrong.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:49 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

This is so true all my autos have lasted over 12 years with few major problems

If it doesn't last at least 250k miles, they're doing something wrong

Last edited by 98DAKAZ; 03-14-2013 at 09:53 PM.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:59 PM
bpark8824
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tom A
I'm the service manager for a fleet of over 700 vehicles including Fords, Chevys, and Dodges. In my experience, they're pretty much all the same.

I used to be a die-hard Chevy guy (I can't even remember how many I've owned) but as I've gotten older, I've discovered it just really doesn't matter. People ask me all the time what kind of car they should buy. I tell them all to buy what they like. If it doesn't last at least 250k miles, they're doing something wrong.
I agree 100% with the newer trucks. I think if you were to buy a 2012 full size, you could buy a Tundra, F-150, Silverado, or Ram 1500 and I think you would probably have pretty close to the same amount of money in it @ 250,000 miles. I think the new Rams are a lot better than the previous generation.

I think Dodge/Chrysler had a lapse in reliability 10 years ago for awhile. Grand Cherokee's had all kinds of problems as well as other Chrysler products, but I believe they have gotten better. I'm not real sure as I don't really know many people with much newer Chryslers and none of them would have a ton of miles on them...

And I agree w/ Ramguy, I wasn't trying to be a ***** or anything, I think he can understand my frustration. Part of the problem is also my inability to fix a lot of these problems now that I moved out of my parents place. I have no where to work on my truck so I have to take it to a shop to get it fixed which costs 10x more and I absolutely hate letting people work on my truck.

If I had a place to work on my truck I would have just swapped out the rear end when it went and threw in one with LSD. Cheaper, easier, and better. But I live 5 hours from my parents now, so it's not like I could even go over and use the garage. I only have the tools in my truck which is basically a set of wrenches, screw drivers, and some pliars.

Sorry to get people fired up, was just frustrated the other day. Hopefully you guys can understand. Within the year I'd like to get my hands on a 2011+ WRX... Might keep the Dakota too since I won't get much for it to sell it...

Quick Reply: Wheel hub/bearing replacement