2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

New truck with clunking sound on turn

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 10:24 PM
anjp
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Pony
When you first turn in or when you hit the lock? I know these are probably odd questions but just trying to help. Two heads are better than one..lol
In the turn, way before the stop. I appreciate the help

Old 05-17-2013, 10:30 PM
DK Pony
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I assume it only does it when you are moving?

Old 05-17-2013, 10:33 PM
anjp
Amateur

I assume it only does it when you are moving?
Usually only in a tighter turn when there's a little load on the wheel. That is, if I slow down to a crawl and or turn a longer gentle corner there is no noise. Sometimes I've gotten a much quieter version of the noise by turning aggressively while parked...but not often.

Old 05-17-2013, 10:50 PM
DK Pony
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let me think on it a little more

Last edited by DK Pony; 05-17-2013 at 11:30 PM.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:55 PM
anjp
Amateur

Let me think on it a little more
thanks again for your help. BTW took it to a national garage today and they pretty much said they have no idea what it is. The mechanic who looked at it said it could be a wheel bearing... but he couldn't explain why it would only be making noise on turns. He also couldn't explain why it would be a snapping sound in the turn vs a clunk or grinding (which is more common for wheel bearing).

I spoke to another mechanic in the garage and his 5 min diagnosis was something in the steering column or rack/pinion related.

Old 05-18-2013, 11:55 PM
anjp
Amateur

Bear with me for a sec while i explain a gut feeling... I've been driving around a little more today and noticed that the snapping/popping sound itsnt really coming from the driver side wheel. It's hard to say, but I think its coming from the centre area in the front end. Also, I've noticed that it only happrns on large angle turns. That is, a 45 degree turn does not produce the noise. But when i do a 90 degree turn I get it without fail. The noise doesn't happen necessarily when cornering, but happens when I'm physically turning the wheel to lead into the turn.

AND, one of the bellow boots between the rack and tie rod has a hole in it and has gummed up the driver side of the rack and pinion area (letting in dirt and dust). I'm wondering if there could be something in the rack and pinion that is sort of inhibiting the turn and making the sound...

1- I have zero experience with the rack and pinion

2- I have the service manual with instructions on how to replace the rack. Is it a long/difficult job?

3- is it possible to take the rack out, open it up and clean it or is it sealed (and i need to buy a whole new rack)?

4- is it possible that the rack seal could be junked from the contaminants of the ripped boot and its all dry inside and that's what's making the noise? If so how would i ceck and correct?

Like I said this is sort of a shot in the dark but let me know if ajny of these thoughts make sense.

Old 06-02-2013, 10:06 PM
AnthonyMo
Amateur

In my experience if you turn the wheel to full lock and attempt to reverse and notice it takes more gas then it should to get moving it's the wheel bearing, both of mine went bad this year, some condition on both of them, zero noise going down the road straight.

Last edited by AnthonyMo; 06-02-2013 at 11:28 PM.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:15 PM
anjp
Amateur

Originally Posted by AnthonyMo
In my experience if you turn the wheel to full lock and attempt to reverse and notice it takes more gas then it should to get moving it's the wheel bearing, both of mine went bad this year, some condition on both of them, zero noise going down the road straight.
Well it's been some time but work has kept me busy and out of town...

I just checked everything over again, and all the usual suspects are nice and tight. I had a friend check it over and took it to my mechanic. We're all stymied but there seems to be a bit of a consensus that it's the front right wheel bearing. I'm a bit hesitant because if you jack it up, take off the wheel, and turn the hub everything is quiet - no grumbling or groaning. Gonna change it later on in the week and _hope_ that the clunk stops. I'll let you know.

Old 11-25-2015, 10:02 AM
anjp
Amateur

PROBLEM SOLVED

Yes I know it's an old thread.... but better late than never right? I checked everything you guys mentioned and more with no luck. With everything important in good working order, I figured I'd just keep driving until it showed itself.
Turned out to be the rear left parking brake shoes. Both shoe linings had become unbonded and separated from the housing. They were free enough clunk a bit but didn't rattle at higher speeds. Used the parking brake with no problem. Replaced the shoes and problem has gone away.

Old 11-25-2015, 08:38 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Glad you got it.

Quick Reply: New truck with clunking sound on turn