2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Dakota got backed into. Like a champ

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 10:47 PM
Kyguylal
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dakota got backed into. Like a champ

Man, Dakotas can take a hit.

Witnessed someone back down the road and right into my parked truck. Nice, new corolla backed, pretty quick into my front bumper. A scratch the size of a paper clip on my bumper, entire rear bumper on the Toyota is crushed in and bowed on the side of the car.

Love having that metal chunk of a bumper.

Second time my parked Dakota got hit this year. Last time, a guy ran right into my tow hitch. Punched through the motion sensor on his Prius bumper.

American made!

Old 07-02-2013, 11:15 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

You are lucky...Some dirtbag backed into my truck last Monday when it was parked at work. They hit me hard enough to set off my alarm, I heard it and went outside to see a big old F250 style bro-dozer hauling *** down and out of the parking lot, couldn't get the license plate numbers on it. It looks to me like they smacked my tailgate with their redneck trailer hitch:

P1010047.jpg

I called the cops, they don't even do reports for parking lot accidents. I reported it on my insurance, they came out the next day, $740.00 estimate, they wanted to replace my tailgate with a boneyard 2004 tailgate and repaint it. They cut me a check for $240.00, for the estimate less my deductible. Last Saturday I took the truck to a really good paintless dent repair shop in Tampa and left the tailgate with them to fix it. I have used this same shop once before, they are good guys who are honest and do a good job for a reasonable price. It should cost a total of about $330.00 to fix it and repaint it, and also reapply a new Dodge decal. So about $90.00 out of my own pocket to fix it, but it sure beats paying a $500.00 deductible. I had to check with my insurance agent first to be sure it won't jack my rates up, and they said it won't because the truck was unoccupied and parked in a normal parking space.

I have to go back this coming Saturday to pick up my tailgate and put it back on. My truck looks funny with no tailgate right now. All of this because some dirtbag low life who probably had no insurance and no license either or maybe they had outstanding warrants had to hit my truck and drive off like a pu$$y instead of stopping and coming to the office to find me and own up to it like a man. I was really pissed off for about a day after that happened, but **** happens and I am getting it fixed as cheap and the best as I can.

OP is lucky no bro-dozers hit you, just wimpy rice burners..OK, rant is over....

Jimmy

Old 07-03-2013, 10:33 AM
01dak3.9
Veteran

Isn't backing down the road illegal?

Old 07-04-2013, 01:17 PM
2001DodgeMan
Rookie

You'd think an idiot like that might look where the hell he/she is backing up to(bet "it" was distracted when "it" shouldn't have been....)

Old 07-04-2013, 11:11 PM
dakotamod21

Your right about these trucks I have a 99 and I was leaving campus one day after class and a student rear ended me and I got out to look at my truck and there were a few scratches to the bumper but nothing compared to their crumpled hood and bumper

Old 07-05-2013, 02:27 AM
BlackTrim211
Rookie

I was sandwitched back in april by a bmw 353i and a jeep grand chero and I took all damage so **** you we can take a hit. I've got atleast three grand worth of damage to my truck and i'm still fighting the insurance co.

Old 07-06-2013, 10:39 AM
Blacknights
Veteran
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I had an F-150 rear end me at a stop light a week or two ago. Got out, couldn't even tell I was hit.

I'm scared for whoever might rear end me one day in the Silverado 3500 I have. They might die, I have a ranch hand rear bumper.

Old 07-06-2013, 06:47 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Got my tailgate back today, it is like nothing ever happened:

P1010071.jpg

Looks good and the paint matched perfectly. Carsmetics in Tampa does great work. The price was exactly the same as their initial estimate, no surprises there either.

Now I just have to forget that it happened and forgive the idiot that backed into my truck. I park further away from the main entrance at work now so I hope it does not happen again.

Jimmy

Old 07-07-2013, 02:09 PM
Kyguylal
Rookie

Looks great man. I'm not going to bother getting my scratch fixed. What's one more...gives it character.

Quick Reply: Dakota got backed into. Like a champ