2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

RE: 2002 Sport transmission slippage

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 01:04 PM
SheriD
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2002 Sport transmission slippage

So- I am new to the forum and did do some searching but, with 3 grand kids running around wanting one thing or another every 5 mins- think I will just "cheat" and throw it out there.

First- as seen by my name- I am a female who has little knowledge of mechanics except the "old" vehicles I have owned which are nothing like today's vehicles. My husband passed away (lung cancer) the 8th of this month and during his illness I started having problems with the tranny on my 2002 Dodge Dakota Sport.

My sister in law had checked the fluids in it and noticed the tranny fluid was low 1/2qt- put a whole qt of God knows what brand (she cannot remember) and overfilled it. The problems started from there although the truck had been having some problems totally shifting out when on the Interstate (had to let off gas around 60 MPH for the last shift to occur)

My question is- if I take it to a garage- being a woman and not knowing these local garages (only one specializes in Dodges and they are way overpriced!) what am I looking at? I would like to have a little insight to know what can be done before they try to talk me into a new transmission (which will NOT occur anytime soon due to income). I know a screen/fluid change/flush MAY help but...beyond that- any insight as to what else may help? Thank you in advance for ANY info.

SORRY- WOULD HELP TO KNOW: Info I can find on tranny= 4 speed automatic 42 RE /Truck motor= Magnum 3.9 SMPI V6 and it has 95910 actual miles (I bought this truck from an elderly gent- only had 68k on it but we have put a lot of travel miles on it in 2 years)
The truck is slipping in first/second only low and reverse is fine. I HAVE to drive it 3 miles to town now and then- maybe once a week as I have no other ride at present and I can pull off the road and put in neutral and pull back out and it will do ok for awhile- seems worse once it heats up.

Last edited by SheriD; 07-24-2013 at 07:05 PM. Reason: add information
Old 07-24-2013, 01:34 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Hi Sheri,

I'm sorry for your loss.

What engine do you have? It'll helps us know what transmission you have? Is the "check engine" light on? How many miles are on it?

Overfilling an automatic is as bad as it being underfilled. The fluid can "foam" and cause problems shifting.

Welcome to the forum.

Old 07-24-2013, 03:33 PM
Robbadodge
Veteran

Welcome to the forum, Sheri. Very sorry for your loss.

I know you will get good help in this forum. To get the information Dan asked about, click here, and have the last 8 digits of the trucks VIN with you.

Request a build sheet and it will list everything the truck was shipped with; engine and transmission included.

If the miles dictate a trans flush and filter change, might as well get that done. If not, you or a shop can drop the pan a little to remove the excess fluid and hope for the best.

Good luck! I hope we can help you through this and what will come your way.

Robb

Old 07-24-2013, 07:00 PM
SheriD

SORRY- WOULD HELP TO KNOW: Info I can find on tranny= 4 speed automatic 42 RE /Truck motor= Magnum 3.9 SMPI V6 and it has 95910 actual miles (I bought this truck from an elderly gent- only had 68k on it but we have put a lot of travel miles on it in 2 years)
The truck is slipping in first/second only low and reverse is fine. I HAVE to drive it 3 miles to town now and then- maybe once a week as I have no other ride at present and I can pull off the road and put in neutral and pull back out and it will do ok for awhile- seems worse once it heats up.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:07 PM
SheriD

Thank you! I put the info I could find (from the original window sticker no less) in the owners manual + the milage

Old 07-24-2013, 08:54 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by SheriD
The truck is slipping in first/second only low and reverse is fine.
Low is first gear so does it slip when you put it in D and not if you put it in low? If so, it's likely your overrunning clutch is bad.

Most of the other causes of it "slipping" would be a misadjusted gearshift or throttle linkage, or the transmission is overfilled and foaming.

Did your SIL check the fluid level with the engine running?

If she added the wrong type of fluid it can also cause problems. You might start with getting the transmission fluid and filter changed. While that's being done any good shop should be able to check and adjust the bands.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:09 PM
SheriD

Originally Posted by 00DakDan
Low is first gear so does it slip when you put it in D and not if you put it in low? If so, it's likely your overrunning clutch is bad.

Most of the other causes of it "slipping" would be a misadjusted gearshift or throttle linkage, or the transmission is overfilled and foaming.

Did your SIL check the fluid level with the engine running?

If she added the wrong type of fluid it can also cause problems. You might start with getting the transmission fluid and filter changed. While that's being done any good shop should be able to check and adjust the bands.
Thank you for info! I will get that done first. She did check it hot. Other than that I know that a quart was to much and =she grabbed whatever she found off the Dollar Store shelf- I appreciated her "help" but......When I said first I meant Drive- sorry- thats where its slipping the worst- I WAS able to drop it down one and then back up for awhile and it worked- not so well now. It will go from no gear to dropping itself into 1 st on and off but mostly NO gear at all.

Quick Reply: RE: 2002 Sport transmission slippage