2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Reprogram courtesy light on '01?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 04:34 PM
hangfirew8
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reprogram courtesy light on '01?

Hi,

I'm a since-new owner of an '01 Dakota 4x4, no alarm system. I did a search on this board, and while much discussed, never found an answer.

I realize the Courtesy Light (headlights stay on 60 seconds if switch is left on after engine is shut off, and then switch turned off) is loved by some, tolerated by others, but I'd rather get rid of it. If I want headlights while not running, I can leave the switch on and I'll get them for 5 minutes. However when I switch it off, I want them to turn off.

I mentioned this to another Dakota owner a few years ago, who said "oh I had my dealer fix that long ago" but my dealer just gave me the deer-in-headlights look when I asked. So, I suspect it can be set.

Is this an ODB settable function? I was thinking of investing in an ODB Scanner and would happily buy one just to fix this one issue. I've heard the cheap Bluetooth scanners can't set parameters like this.

On the other hand, if I can fix this for free by twiddling the key and/or ***** and dials, that would be great.

Thanks
HF
PS Please don't try to convince me this is a great feature that should be left alone...

Old 07-30-2013, 05:41 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Hi Hangfire and welcome to the forum.

Hopefully someone else will chime in but I seriously doubt an OBD scanner would be able to make this change. The headlights are controlled by the CTM. Many scanners can't read these body codes, much less make a programming change. Your dealer might be able to, with their DRB.

My own experience with something like that is that you need to find a mechanic who is familiar with your vehicle -- even at the dealer. In my case, I installed OEM cruise control about 3 years ago. The instrument cluster needed to be programmed to enable the "cruise" indicator. One dealership told me it couldn't be done. I tried another and with their DRB, 5 minutes, and $20, I had the light working and I was on my way.

What happens if you turn the lights off before you shut off the ignition? Do they go off immediately in that case?

Old 07-30-2013, 06:43 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Dan they should shut off when they are turned off before the key(our grand cherokee and ram is the same way)

Op You can flick the light **** back to on then off again and they should turn off right away. The dealer might be able to use their drb tool to turn it off but im not sure. Just remember that most dealers are gonna charge you to use it tho. Some will even try to get you to pay a full hr price even tho it didnt take that long.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:47 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Thanks Ramguy. It makes sense that there is some way to turn them off immediately.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:10 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

My lights do that, stay on if I turn off the ignition before I turn off the light switch. I have just trained myself to turn off the light switch first. Every now and then I forget but just turn the lights or the ignition back on and off again and the lights go out. I don't know if the feature is programmable but I have to admit I never looked into it myself.

Jimmy

Old 07-30-2013, 10:35 PM
PublicHair
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll trade you. I want this feature in my fusion!

Old 07-31-2013, 09:14 AM
Raydaj
Amateur

I didn't know you could have turn the light switch on and off and it would shut it off after the key is removed, thanks for that!

But if anyone has any input on how to program it differently I'd like to know how, I've always wondered if it's possible to program it.

Old 07-31-2013, 02:09 PM
hangfirew8

Originally Posted by 00DakDan
Hi Hangfire and welcome to the forum.
Thanks!

Hopefully someone else will chime in but I seriously doubt an OBD scanner would be able to make this change. The headlights are controlled by the CTM. Many scanners can't read these body codes, much less make a programming change. Your dealer might be able to, with their DRB.
OK, I'll ask again, it's been a while, and maybe by mentioning CTM and DRB I'll get better results.

What happens if you turn the lights off before you shut off the ignition? Do they go off immediately in that case?
Yes, they go out immediately. There is no light sensor like in some cars.

HF

Quick Reply: Reprogram courtesy light on '01?