2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Power steering pump swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 10:04 PM
Blacknights
Veteran
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by kickerman
So will I have to drain coolant and washer fluid? And would it be the pump that's not working on mine or resavore? Bc it is getting all over engine from leaking on belt and splashing every where!

Nope just whatever little amount is in the coolant hose, it is so little you shouldn't have to add any if you don't have new coolant to add. Washer fluid? I never even touched that, don't even have to worry about it. You don't need to remove the coolant hose I think but it makes a world of difference and I'd recommend it. Like I said I did this a year ago, I can't remember the project perfectly.

The way that the 4.7 PS pumps normally fail, is the connections between the reservoir and the pump or rack fail. Occasionally the reservoir will itself crack from age and vibrations. Mine failed at pretty much everywhere, I couldn't locate just one spot, specifically the reservoir. The way you described it, I'd check one thing before you replace the pump. Wherever a hose connects to the assembly check and see if it is cracked. You might be able to just cut the cracked hose off and reattach it. I had to do this with one of the hoses. My assembly almost lasted 240k miles, at that point is was wiser to replace it just due to age.

Last edited by Blacknights; 01-17-2014 at 12:22 PM.
Old 01-17-2014, 05:44 AM
ryunk
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed an inline filter when I changed out the PS pump.

Old 01-17-2014, 06:33 AM
kickerman
Rookie

Ok the front belt comes off by the one spring released pully correct?

Old 01-17-2014, 09:46 AM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Yes, release the tensioner to remove the belt.

Old 01-17-2014, 12:32 PM
Blacknights
Veteran
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Depending on how strong and small you are, you may not even need a wrench to deal with the tensioner. It can be a pain to get a tool to grab it and for me it is faster. Don't forget to inspect your belt while you have it off. Although this isn't as critical as in say an Audi, it still is bad if it breaks from defects.

Old 01-17-2014, 01:28 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 169 Likes on 154 Posts

On my 3.9, we did it without removing anything. The teardrop tank is brazed to the pump, all one assembly held on by the two hoses and a couple bolts. I just did my rack and now my PS pump is on its way out, still pumping, but making noise and get hot...bearing is on it's way out i think.

Old 01-18-2014, 12:23 PM
kickerman
Rookie

Ok I replaced the pump last night it went well! I went to go flush fluid today and noticed a leak coming from it looks like to me the resavore what do I do?

Old 01-19-2014, 11:40 AM
Dakmm
Professional

Where is it leaking from? Did you seat the o-ring the right way when you put the reservoir back onto the new pump? It has to be put in just right.

Quick Reply: Power steering pump swap