2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Bent control arm

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 11:02 PM
Josh17
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bent control arm

I hit a pretty nasty pot hole, about a week or so ago. Since then I have had a slight pull to the right. I looked at my wheels the other day and noticed that the front right wheel seems to be slightly further back than the front left. I'm pretty sure its a bent control arm. So i'm thinking of putting my truck in a shop around here to get the control arms, ball joints, front & rear shocks, coil springs and leaf springs (possibly), sway bar, and sway bar links replaced,. Basically a complete suspension rebuild. I'm wondering how much this would cost and if I should have them replace the hubs and wheel bearings as well as i have over 192000 miles.

Old 11-22-2014, 12:43 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

You probably just knocked it out of alignment not bent anything.

If concerned have a shop or two look at it and get an estimate that will tell you more than we could just by your description. My guess is if your front end is worn out they will just replace both upper and lower control arms as that's the fastest an best option. You may need new Hubs also or just get them done to be sure this may save you some $$ as you are getting it done at the same time.

Cost just for the front around $1.5K Labor is the big cost parts alone is about $500 4 control arms and 2 Hubs most shops up charge on parts.

These costs I'm giving are a bit high as I have not had a shop do anything on my Dakota in many years I'm sure its way higher now especially labor.

DIY will save you a ton of money but cost you time down and dirty grunt work. You may want to replace your front brakes at the same time as you will have it all apart to fix the front end as long as your calipers are good the pads are very cheap.

Old 11-22-2014, 12:51 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Thumbs up

DIY

Look here on this forum https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...ta-cc-4wd.html

This one also https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...to-w-pics.html

Last edited by 98DAKAZ; 11-22-2014 at 12:54 AM.
Old 11-22-2014, 08:07 PM
Josh17
Rookie

I would love to do it my self, especially since i get a 50 % discount through UNOH on parts from car quest. But between having to work 10.5 hours a day 7 days a week, Class from 6:30 to 11:30 Mon-Thurs, only having a small socket set, and having no place other than a cold parking lot to do it in. I don't really have the time nor the tools to do it myself. Brakes should be fine, i did the fronts less than 3000 miles ago and the rears were done less than 1000 miles ago. I appreciate the help though. I may just take out a small loan to get this done and over with.

Old 11-22-2014, 08:58 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

A big pothole can throw off your alignment.

If you're going to rebuild the front, 98Dakaz has given you some good advice about just swapping out the entire control arm. A new arm already has the bushings and ball joints in place.

Swap all the suspension/steering parts at once. new tie rods, including the inners too. Then you'll be all set with an alignment. I wouldn't bother with the hubs unless you have a problem. You can swap them easy enough later.

You don't have to do it all at once. Do the front now and wait a bit on the rear.

Old 11-22-2014, 10:09 PM
Josh17
Rookie

Will do thanks guys.

Old 11-23-2014, 01:15 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion

new inner and outer tie rods may be one thing you could do as I believe they are easy. To get as close as possible measure them each side before removing then install new parts with your measurements they may be off some but then in a week or two have a shop do the rest.

You could do the top ball joints one side at a time as they are somewhat easy to get out or if they have been replaced before then they could be very easy to replace the top control arm bushings are not easy to do a shop would be your best bet.

I say get a few estimates form two shops find out how bad things are then get back to this forum.

Be sure they are very detailed on what is bad not just yep your front end is bad let them know you want a detailed list of what needs replacing.

No friends with a garage you could use with tools and some knowledge? beer and Pizza help.

Some city's have garages you can rent space to work on your car with tools they even supply a bit of knowledge help no hands on help. Just get a friend to go with you.

I almost forgot ooDakDan is correct about the Hubs and they are easy to replace...... usually sometimes they are stubborn and don't come out easy nothing a hammer cant help get done.

That's a start

Last edited by 98DAKAZ; 11-23-2014 at 01:26 AM.
Old 11-23-2014, 06:08 PM
Josh17
Rookie

Hmm my roommate has a decent amount of tools. I would have to see about renting a space though.

Old 11-23-2014, 06:26 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Even the ball joints aren't that bad. If they've never been done you have to drill out or grind off 3 rivets but then they just bolt on. Maybe an hour or so each.

You don't say if it's a 4wd or not. The 2wd lowers also are riveted on. The 4wd is press in and can be a royal pain.

Old 11-23-2014, 08:57 PM
Josh17
Rookie

Its a 2wd. I think i can pay to use some shop space at the university but they don't let you use their tools, man i really need to buy some tools.

Quick Reply: Bent control arm