2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Very Odd rear end noise while making Left Turns.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 11:29 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Cool

Just be warned it may look ok now but if it chews up the spiders like Jeff's Dak it will cost you way more at that time than now with minor problems.

It could be an axel bearing or your front end like I said before check your Hubs NOTE they can spin just great but still be tore up inside. Try this jack one side up at a time take the wheel off then spin it around a few times if you hear anything like grit in the bearing they are bad if the brakes stop this pry the calipers open some so the Hub spins easy. If bad also they may spin kind of jerky like some thing is in the bearings.

I know this sounds weird but as I said I had a Hub go bad and it sounded like it was my rear I could swear it was my rear end making that noise.

Stop and listen to people OK

Old 12-30-2014, 12:56 PM
Katmandu
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by 98DAKAZ
Just be warned it may look ok now but if it chews up the spiders like Jeff's Dak it will cost you way more at that time than now with minor problems.

It could be an axel bearing or your front end like I said before check your Hubs NOTE they can spin just great but still be tore up inside. Try this jack one side up at a time take the wheel off then spin it around a few times if you hear anything like grit in the bearing they are bad if the brakes stop this pry the calipers open some so the Hub spins easy. If bad also they may spin kind of jerky like some thing is in the bearings.

I know this sounds weird but as I said I had a Hub go bad and it sounded like it was my rear I could swear it was my rear end making that noise.

Stop and listen to people OK
Will do.

I know one of the RF upper A-frame bushings is toast. It's actually metal-metal on one side.

I'll check both ASAP.

Back to the Differential...

How difficult of a job is it to replace the clutch packs back there ?

Last edited by Katmandu; 12-30-2014 at 01:31 PM.
Old 12-30-2014, 02:02 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

If you had clutch packs:

You would have to pull the axles and remove the carrier first to change the clutch packs. Then there are some special tools needed, mostly to compress the springs as you install the new packs.

You can also just get a rebuilt carrier.

Old 12-30-2014, 02:53 PM
Katmandu
Professional
Question

Originally Posted by 00DakDan
If you had clutch packs:

You would have to pull the axles and remove the carrier first to change the clutch packs. Then there are some special tools needed, mostly to compress the springs as you install the new packs.

You can also just get a rebuilt carrier.
....or find a good used unit.

Would an Open carrier be interchangeable with the Traction Lock carrier ?

Does the carrier remove as a whole unit ?

I'll search around for a "How-To" article/video in the meantime.

Old 12-30-2014, 04:55 PM
HillBillE
Professional

Originally Posted by Katmandu
....or find a good used unit.

Would an Open carrier be interchangeable with the Traction Lock carrier ?

Does the carrier remove as a whole unit ?

Yes and Yes.

Although you will need to build/borrow/buy a tool for setting the back lash.

The adjusters have a large hex shape where the axle shaft goes through,

I was able to find a large nut that fit perfectly, and welded it onto a 4' chunk of pipe.
The tool then slides into the axle tube, and you can adjust the backlash.

(the adjusters are threaded)

Once you find a how to vid, or see the carrier pulled, you will see the adjusters I'm talking about.

They are under the retaining caps for the carrier.

Old 12-30-2014, 04:57 PM
HillBillE
Professional

Moses Ludell does an excellent write up on it, his books are worth having in the shop.

http://www.4wdmechanix.com/Moses-Lud...sler-Axle.html

Old 12-30-2014, 08:04 PM
alaskajeff
Professional

Out of curiosity did you or the shop try to spin the rear wheels while the cover was off to try and see or hear anything? ALSO since you now know that the unit is NOT what should be in your truck, BY CHANCE could it be the wrong gear ratio than your front diff? say a 3.92 instead of a 3.55? The ratio will be stamped on the ring gear in plain sight with the cover off. That MIGHT be what is causing the noises? I know it would only affect things when you are in 4WD but it's worth looking into. Since the old fluid was already sucked out along with any metal or evidence of pieces parts floating around your picture does not reveal much other than the shop doesn't know what they are talking about. Who knows what else they did or didn't do the first time.

Old 12-30-2014, 08:06 PM
Katmandu
Professional
Question

Originally Posted by HillBillE
Yes and Yes.

Although you will need to build/borrow/buy a tool for setting the back lash.

The adjusters have a large hex shape where the axle shaft goes through,

I was able to find a large nut that fit perfectly, and welded it onto a 4' chunk of pipe.
The tool then slides into the axle tube, and you can adjust the backlash.

(the adjusters are threaded)

Once you find a how to vid, or see the carrier pulled, you will see the adjusters I'm talking about.

They are under the retaining caps for the carrier.
I did find a YT video showing those adjusters. Pretty cool idea. The dude used a flat head screw driver through the front port hole to adjust the back lash. He hit the holes as to not cause any damage. Very successful.

What does the back lash need set to ?

Old 12-30-2014, 08:12 PM
Katmandu
Professional

Originally Posted by alaskajeff
Out of curiosity did you or the shop try to spin the rear wheels while the cover was off to try and see or hear anything?
No. I told them I know Magnethead and they wouldn't allow me back there while they were tearing it down. (Lol!) They did let me back to look and take a pic though. I didn't think to ask to spin the wheel with the cover off either.

ALSO since you now know that the unit is NOT what should be in your truck, BY CHANCE could it be the wrong gear ratio than your front diff?
Mine is only a 4x2. Wish it was a 4x4!

Since the old fluid was already sucked out along with any metal or evidence of pieces parts floating around your picture does not reveal much other than the shop doesn't know what they are talking about. Who knows what else they did or didn't do the first time.
I hear ya. The mechanic claimed there was no evidence of any metal pieces parts in their the last time as well. I don't think he would lie since they would've tried to sell me an expensive repair job.

I didn't even ask them how much they'd charge to rebuild it. They did offer either. I won't be going back there that's for sure.

Old 12-30-2014, 08:43 PM
alaskajeff
Professional

Originally Posted by Katmandu
No. I told them I know Magnethead and they wouldn't allow me back there while they were tearing it down. (Lol!) They did let me back to look and take a pic though. I didn't think to ask to spin the wheel with the cover off either.

Mine is only a 4x2. Wish it was a 4x4!

I hear ya. The mechanic claimed there was no evidence of any metal pieces parts in their the last time as well. I don't think he would lie since they would've tried to sell me an expensive repair job.

I didn't even ask them how much they'd charge to rebuild it. They did offer either. I won't be going back there that's for sure.
BTW i have a complete undamaged 3.92 ratio differential with pinion gear up for sale IF you are interested. As stated you would have to have it adjust once installed. Each housing and carrier is different so the exact set-up numbers will vary. The video is probably one oft he best out there for setting one up.

Quick Reply: Very Odd rear end noise while making Left Turns.....