2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Yet another exciting rear diff thread

Old 01-03-2015, 08:22 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts
Default Yet another exciting rear diff thread

Last week, I was feelin frisky and got on it while making a left out of my subdivision. I must have burned rubber for a good fifty feet, with the rear end sideways the whole time... and the sweet thing is, I never let up off the gas to bring it back into line. It was all steering, baby! Women and children were amazed at the piece of driving I put down...

Okay, so maybe it was 35 feet and the road was wet, so technically...I didn't burn actual rubber, but the wheel/s did spin like crazy and I envisioned myself outside my truck staring at the amazing person called me, doing his thang behind the wheel.....

It's then that I begin to laugh at the fool, not realizing he was doing a lame peg-leg burnout. (Hopefully no one saw me)

Please tell me this wasn't a peg leg.

Open diff.
3.55 Rear Axle Ratio
Corporate 9.25 LD Rear Axle

more to come.....

Last edited by Dodgevity; 01-03-2015 at 08:55 AM.
Old 01-03-2015, 09:21 AM
tbugden
All Star
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

You're smart!!! Lol

And yes it was a "peg-leg"

Old 01-03-2015, 09:46 AM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Thread moved to "general discussions."

Old 01-03-2015, 12:21 PM
Dodgevity
Champion

Originally Posted by tbugden
And yes it was a "peg-leg"
Oh you cruel SOB! Couldn't break it to me any gentler, huh? <hangs head in shame>

BTW, I just read through your Victim thread. Killer work, bro! I wish I was half as smart as you. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...placement.html

Originally Posted by 00DakDan
Thread moved to "general discussions."
Whoa, Dan. I know I'm slow on the delivery, but this is actually going somewhere. Hopefully you will reconsider and move it back.

Well here is the deal...and it's not just about my aversion to peg legs.

In about a month, I'm going to tow a car from Virginia back to ATL on a four wheel carrier. I don't know what the weather will be like and I don't want to tow with an open diff. Bad enough I have 2WD and who knows what the weather will be like by then. This truck has the full tow package, heavy duty cooling and heavy duty suspension... I can't for the life of me, understand why the buyer didn't just get LSD, or why Dodge didn't make it a part of the tow package. So now I've watched enough youtube videos and gone through enough diff threads that I've become dangerous (monkey with gun scenario). To make it worse, I have around four u-pull-its in close proximity, with a plethora of Chrysler products sitting for the taking.

Anyway....getting to my question.

What is the best used LSD/anti-slip rear diff carrier, that I can simply swap into this 9.25 diff housing, without doing major work? I'm trying to keep this as much plug n play as possible due to the cold weather and lack of funds.

Again, I have 3.55 with rear discs, so I'm not trying to swap out the rear end. I also don't want to decrease gas mileage. There are late model Dodge Rams, Jeep cherokee, liberty, Dodge Durango, Dakotas, etc, sitting in these yards. I will look for something that looks like it hasn't towed much, to maximize the chance of getting good clutches. Maybe a late model front end hit that was originally pampered. How much has dodge changed the pumpkin's contents in these newer vehicles? You guys seem to know a lot about the intricacies and different designs of these trac-locks so again, I'm looking for the best wheels on the ground grip-performance with least trouble installing.

Thanks!

Last edited by Dodgevity; 01-03-2015 at 12:56 PM.
Old 01-03-2015, 01:42 PM
HillBillE
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is no 'carrier break' on the 9.25, so you should be good with any LSD you find.

You will want to keep your original ring gear, as it's worn/matched to the pinion. (unless you plan on deeper gears like 4:11', etc)

But, installing a used LSD isn't your best option, and if you were to spend the money on rebuilding an LSD carrier, you may be better off buying a 'full case locker', like a Detroit.

LSD's wear out over time, where a soft locker like a full case Detroit, will not.

There is also the option of a 'lunch box' locker, like an Power Trax or Loc-Rite.

One of these would be easy to install. They replace the spider gears in the carrier. A feeler guage and basic hand tools are all that is needed.

F7314934_zps07408ce7.jpg

You have to also remember that you will have more weight when towing,

more weight on the truck and you will be less likely to break free.

Seeing as how your back end was sliding sideways, there's a good chance you were not doing a One Wheel Wonder, but both tires were spinning to begin with.

When only one tire breaks free, the other tire (usually) tracks, keeping you going straight.

Old 01-03-2015, 02:15 PM
Dodgevity
Champion

Originally Posted by HillBillE
There is no 'carrier break' on the 9.25, so you should be good with any LSD you find.

You will want to keep your original ring gear, as it's worn/matched to the pinion. (unless you plan on deeper gears like 4:11', etc)
Thanks, all good to know, especially the suggestion to keep the ring gear. I know the LSD wears out, that's why I wanted to go with as late-model as possible. I'll have to pick very wisely.

Question, any other makes/models with same innards in the pumpkin?

PS. Nice to know both wheel were turning. Your analysis makes perfect sense. I thought both wheels were turning too...sure felt like it. Guess it's not always a peg leg, It did begin deep in a corner.

Last edited by Dodgevity; 01-03-2015 at 02:17 PM.
Old 01-03-2015, 07:39 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 152 Likes on 139 Posts

The ram 1500, dakota, and durango used the 9.25 axle. I run one of the lunchbox lockers and let me tell you, there are days I wish I was open again. Several times I've decked it at 35 MPH and almost spun out from both tires breaking loose. At least with an open, one breaks loose and the other, as hillbille said, keeps you going straight. With both spinning, your only saving grace is some split second thinking. I actually have pitched myself into a dead 90 degree slide while WFO a couple times because the other option was something undesirable.

Hell, 2 days ago I went the wrong direction in an area i was unfamiliar with. Pulled onto the shoulder intending to do a 180 and go back the other way. Lets just say I did a 360 and some change....on dry road. Needless to say I was glad I had waited for traffic to clear both ways.

Last edited by magnethead; 01-03-2015 at 07:41 PM.
Old 01-04-2015, 01:01 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the LSD and to be honest it doesn't really matter on slick roads one will spin and one wont.. and if you happen to straiten up the other will start spinning while the one that was spinning then starts to bite..

IMO the LSD is Junk.. I'd rather just have open diff back there like Jeeps.. wouldnt have the spin out problem as much on slick roads.

But i can make her burn rubber even with her underpowered 318 I have the video to prove it too lol

Old 01-04-2015, 02:08 AM
magnethead
Legend
Received 152 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by jondakotaguy
I have the LSD and to be honest it doesn't really matter on slick roads one will spin and one wont.. and if you happen to straiten up the other will start spinning while the one that was spinning then starts to bite..

IMO the LSD is Junk.. I'd rather just have open diff back there like Jeeps.. wouldnt have the spin out problem as much on slick roads.

But i can make her burn rubber even with her underpowered 318 I have the video to prove it too lol
did you pretty much just agree with me? o.O

Old 01-04-2015, 08:45 AM
Dodgevity
Champion

That's crazy, Magnet. I'll set my carrier aside just in case I don't like the results. So what is the most preferred locker or LSD setup out there... one which behaves like an open diff during normal and kicks in only when you actually need it, rather than interfering with your driving?

Are the carriers in a Dodge 4x4's rear diff the same as 2WD models with anti-slip?

Originally Posted by jondakotaguy
I'd rather just have open diff back there like Jeeps..
Which Jeeps are you talking about?

Last edited by Dodgevity; 01-04-2015 at 08:50 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Yet another exciting rear diff thread