2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

More Questions about SAS

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 12:08 PM
jmasselli22
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More Questions about SAS

After I do the front SAS, it will lift about 6inches to my preference. In order to level the back I was thinking to get new, re-arced leaf springs to lift the rear 6 inches. Can i do this? Is there a better way to level the rear? If i can do this, where can i get these new leaf springs?

Old 01-09-2015, 01:24 PM
HillBillE
Professional

A spring shop can re arch your springs, but may not be able to add that much arch to them (to gain 5-6" lift)

Also, re arched springs do no last as long as manufactured springs, as the heat them to re arch them.

Had it done on a few of my rigs in the past, as it was a cheap way to get the lift back. But it only lasted a year or so.

Best bet is to buy new lift springs, or research what others have done.

I built 'bastard packs' for my XJ, using leaves from other vehicles, I made my own leaf spring.

At 6" lift, the spring has to be longer, due to the arch in it to achieve the lift, another negatitve to having your stock pack re arched.

Old 01-09-2015, 02:53 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My buddy runs a spring shop. You can rearch springs but you are better off to put that money towards new springs/blocks. I wouldnt waste time with the old springs.

Old 01-09-2015, 07:57 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

I'd coil-over the back or weld up some shackle drops.

Old 01-09-2015, 08:18 PM
Tom A
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I did a shackle flip and 2" blocks. Stock Ramcharger springs.

I left the front spring hangers in the stock location, then used rear hangers for a Ford Ranger (I think I paid $18 each, brand new) and mounted them 8" forward of the stock location to match the spring length. It was actually very easy to do, once I took the bed off (which was also very easy).

Last edited by Tom A; 01-09-2015 at 08:27 PM.
Old 01-11-2015, 04:24 PM
jmasselli22
Rookie

so would i be better off just getting new leafs that will lift the rear 6 inches? what is the best way to do it? what will last the longest and be the strongest?

Old 01-11-2015, 04:34 PM
Tom A
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by jmasselli22
so would i be better off just getting new leafs that will lift the rear 6 inches? what is the best way to do it? what will last the longest and be the strongest?
Personally, I would go with a shackle flip and 2" blocks. There are two problems with 6" lift springs. Highly arched springs tend to ride a little harshly, and there's no such thing as a lift spring for a Dakota unless you spend a fortune on custom ones. Even then, good luck finding a shop to do it. Believe me, I tried.

Old 01-11-2015, 05:19 PM
magnethead
Legend

Originally Posted by Tom A
Personally, I would go with a shackle flip and 2" blocks. There are two problems with 6" lift springs. Highly arched springs tend to ride a little harshly, and there's no such thing as a lift spring for a Dakota unless you spend a fortune on custom ones. Even then, good luck finding a shop to do it. Believe me, I tried.
What about instead of using blocks under the springs (which will promote axle wrap), an assembly was made that dropped the leaf spring hangers so stock springs could be used?

All you'd need is some 2.5" x 3/16" wall square tube (36"?) to put between the stock hangers, then weld in 3" risers with another piece of long tube, which has a new front and rear hangers welded to it? Kinda like a real skinny ladder on it's side

Old 01-11-2015, 05:24 PM
Tom A
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Axle wrap with 2" blocks is, from my personal experience, a non-issue, even with a V-8, a 5-speed, low gears, and big tires. Better just to keep it simple, IMO.

Old 01-11-2015, 06:15 PM
magnethead
Legend

Originally Posted by Tom A
Axle wrap with 2" blocks is, from my personal experience, a non-issue, even with a V-8, a 5-speed, low gears, and big tires. Better just to keep it simple, IMO.
Oh, I was thinking more like 6" blocks, not 2.

Quick Reply: More Questions about SAS