2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Need Help- Suspension/BUshing work

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 05:22 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Need Help- Suspension/BUshing work

Hey yall..

before i put the new rims and tires on my dak (97 4x4) I'm going to be replacing both upper ball joints for GP being right side boot is cracked.. (preventive maintenance) but on my control arms the bushings seemed dry rotted and cracked..

I'm replacing both sides and i want to know if anyone has any links to specific break down procedure considering this has torsions how you break it down to be able to repalce the control arm/ or even the bushings.

thanks in advance.

Old 02-06-2015, 05:39 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Thumbs up

4X4 I'm lost but good news for you they have replacement top arms with new bushings and ball joint all in one your best bet.

Found out with a 2Wd this is not available top arm with everything it looks to be the same part but only list them for the 4X4.

I think the replacement procedure is the same as 2Wd and not that hard to do but I could be wrong 4X4 could be diff.

Good luck jondakotaguy

Old 02-07-2015, 10:55 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

I'm just replacing the bushings.. just trying to see what the break down procedure is.. I'm looking at the guide for 2004.. for the upper ball joints I guess that would apply since I need to take to off to replace the bushings..

Old 02-07-2015, 11:38 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Unhappy

The problem is just replacing the bushings is PITA at best getting the arms off is easy. I pulled the arms then had a machine shop replace my bushings and they had a terrible time getting the bushings on and off. Just get the arms and swap them way easier to do.

More money yes but way worth it I also think those bushings that are available have been sitting around for many years drying up as the ones I replaced started cracking and looking like the old ones I replaced in one year.

Not one easy simple cheap solution sorry.

Old 02-07-2015, 12:01 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

I'd check the AutoZone web site first, to see if they have it available.

For the bushings themselves, if you don't mind a bit more firmness and a bit more road noise, there's always the Energy Suspension bushings ... http://www.energysuspensionparts.com...sp?prod=5.3139

They even have hints on how to remove and install the bushings.

For the torsion bars - supposedly, they will unbolt and rebolt to the LCA. I can't vouchsafe for it myself, however - although I may eyeball when I hit the boneyard later today.

RwP

Old 02-07-2015, 01:35 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion

Don't do it endless noise the suspension was meant to flex and made to be quiet

Energy Suspension bushings suck in my opinion I guess because I use my Dak as a city driver I want comfort and a quiet ride.

If trashing on rough roads all day or racing on a track yes a good choice

Old 02-07-2015, 07:14 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

As far as that's concerned, 98Dakaz, my 1988 Dakota doesn't ride as smooth or quiet as my 1991 Cougar does, but it rides a LOT better on the poly bushings than it did on the old dried up hard rubber ones *grins*

It's all what you want, I guess.

RwP

Old 02-08-2015, 02:26 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

Well I've already ordered some upper bushings from rock auto.. once i have it broke down I'll take the lowers with me to autozone or advanced because i was not able to clearly determine which one's were for my truck which they had in stock at rock auto.. I'm just replacing with the premium replacments off rock auto as mine are dried up and cracked.. before i do the new rims/tires and alignment i want to replace these>>

So i'm just trying to figure out how to properly and safely break it down to the point i can take them off and put the new one's on..

So i was reading this but it does not really get into anything specific i guess all i really have to worry with is jacking up the truck and securing the truck like in this thread>>

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...ta-cc-4wd.html

That should be enough to replace the upper's.. but if i replace the lowers im not sure how to properly do that.. and that's what I'm really looking for incase they are cracked up and dry too.. (Most likely since the tops are)

Last edited by jondakotaguy; 02-08-2015 at 02:28 PM.
Old 02-08-2015, 02:51 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion

This is what I have I turned it into a web page

LINK

Old 02-08-2015, 03:42 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

nice.. i printed that..

So really just sounds like i need to get the jack under the lower support once i have it on jack stands (The frame) to hold up the lower unit.. detach the upper control arm from the knuckle to take the top control arm off..

sounds easy enough ROFL.

Quick Reply: Need Help- Suspension/BUshing work