2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2002 SXT downstream O2 sensors

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 12:21 AM
SXTMESA
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 SXT downstream O2 sensors

I replaced them both after reading P0161 and P0141 and P0138. I bought NGK/NTK 23132 sensors and drove the truck from Los Angeles to Seattle without any check engine light over 2 and half days. Until yesterday the same codes returned. Any suggestions ?

Old 03-10-2015, 01:55 AM
archemedes74
Veteran

Common Problems that Trigger the P0161 Code
  • Defective Oxygen Sensor
  • Defective Oxygen Sensor Heater circuit
  • Defective sensor wiring and/or circuit problem
  • PCM software needs to be updated
  • Defective PCM
P0141
- Faulty Heated Oxygen Sensor (H2OS) Bank 1 Sensor 2
- Heated Oxygen Sensor (H2OS) Bank 1 Sensor 2 circuit fuse
- Heated Oxygen Sensor (H2OS) Bank 1 Sensor 2 circuit open shorted to ground
- Heated Oxygen Sensor (H2OS) Bank 1 Sensor 2 circuit poor electrical connection
- Faulty Engine Control Module (ECM)

P0138 Possible causes
- Faulty Rear Heated Oxygen Sensor Bank 1
- Rear Heated Oxygen Sensor Bank 1 harness is open or shorted
- Rear Heated Oxygen Sensor Bank 1 circuit poor electrical connection
- Intake air leaks
- Exhaust gas leaks
- Inappropriate fuel pressure
- Faulty fuel injectors

looks like since you did the sensors it's time to look at wiring, that checks out then you have a computer issue (go over the wires with a fine tooth comb before getting a computer)

Old 03-10-2015, 07:09 AM
SXTMESA

Is it possible for me to have driven over 1,200 miles without a code if the computer was the reason for the code in the first place same for the wiring ?

Old 03-10-2015, 01:33 PM
archemedes74
Veteran

anything is possible, I've seen wires loosen up after a year, could also be a wire rubbed through

Old 03-11-2015, 09:19 PM
SXTMESA

I went start the truck this morning and it won't fire up. I looked at the odometer after trying again and again. Noticed no bus. Googled "no bus" and the results told me bad crank position sensor or bad PCM. I went to O'Reilly's and changed the sensor. Still says no bus and won't fire up.

Old 03-11-2015, 09:59 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Welcome to the forum SXTMESA.

What engine/tranny do you have?

"no bus" means that the cluster isn't talking to the PCM, etc. It can be caused by a bad crank and cam sensor but it could be a bad PCM too.

Can you check for 5 volts to the cam or crank sensors? Once you post the engine we can give you the pinouts.

Old 03-12-2015, 08:47 AM
SXTMESA

I have no way of checking for 5v. So I am throwing parts at it right now. Yes I will buy a meter it has been ordered. These parts are old anyway the crank sensor was worn on the end and two small pieces of metal that looked like a equal sign were exposed. That made me think the crank sensor was going to start up the truck. I found a matching numbers PCM and ordered it for $125 express shipping off ebay. I am stranded in WA state and getting stuff is a little more difficult. Not impossible just more difficult. I might try the cam sensor and return it if it doesn't fix the problem.
2002 SXT standard cab
3.9L automatic
2 wheel drive
Since I bought it the truck would on occasion sputter and put like there was a lack of gas and correct itself in a couple seconds. This symptom also made me think the crank sensor was the problem.

Last edited by SXTMESA; 03-12-2015 at 08:50 AM.
Old 03-12-2015, 10:24 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

(3.9L CALIFORNIA Emissions Only) The downstream O2 sensors have their own relay for heater function. Swap it with a known good one, erase the codes and see if they come back.

The codes are triggered if the O2 voltage doesn't drop below a spec within a certain time. If you're in a warm climate, you might not see the problem very often because the warm ambient temp combined with exhaust heat will warm the O2 up fast enough on their own. In a cool climate it will not heat up fast enough.

Last edited by TNtech; 03-12-2015 at 10:28 AM.
Old 03-12-2015, 10:33 AM
SXTMESA

I will check out the relay mentioned for the heater element. That is the code coming up. Problem more immediate however is "no buS". I am waiting for the used matching numbers PCM. Should arrive Saturday. I haven't read that the camshaft sensor will cause no buS. The crank sensor yes and it's been replaced.

Old 03-12-2015, 11:43 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by SXTMESA
I will check out the relay mentioned for the heater element. That is the code coming up. Problem more immediate however is "no buS". I am waiting for the used matching numbers PCM. Should arrive Saturday. I haven't read that the camshaft sensor will cause no buS. The crank sensor yes and it's been replaced.

The pickup plate type cam sensor usually won't. On the 4.7L it can for sure. The No BUS might just be the PCM itself. That is most common followed close 2nd by the crank sensor. But I've seen a ton of different things do it.

The NO BUS is not something you want to throw parts at for sure if you can help it.

Quick Reply: 2002 SXT downstream O2 sensors