2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Airbag light on and horn not working.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 07:21 PM
scurbin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Airbag light on and horn not working.

So I have a 2002 dakota slt 3.9. The steering had a lot of play to it and would lock up when making tight right hand turns. So I had my personal mechanic look at it and he said the u-joint on the steering shaft was bad so I went ahead and ordered an aftermarket steering shaft from rockauto and had him install it.

Well I'm driving back home and noticed it was still locking up when making right hand turns and would make a scrunching sound as if something was getting pinched inside the steering column. Then the airbag light came on so I pulled over to see what was going on. I then turned the wheel all the way to the right and the horn starts to go off constant. I wasn't thinking at the time and totally forgot about pulling the fuse inside the dash, instead I try and look for it in the fuse box under the hood After not locating it I decided to just unhook the battery but realized I didn't have any tools with me, ugh. So meanwhile the cops come by because somebody thinks it's a house alarm and they were no help after trying to describe what happened and not look like I'm stealing the damn thing. Fifteen minutes later the horn turns off, due to the fuse inside the dash blowing.

I was right down the street from my mechanic so I brought it back. He stated all he did was replace the steering shaft after disconnecting the battery. He then had a dodge buddy of his hook it up to his computer and stated the ecu was sending unusually high voltage to the sensors (around 13.2 I think? idr) and said it could be my ecu going haywire, just coincidentally. So we didn't have any 20a fuses so we replaced the blown one with a 15a and the horn still wouldn't work, but get this, the crunching/locking up while turning it right, completely stopped.

I'm thinking it's definitly an electrical issue and maybe something inside the steering column got pinched and short circuited or something. I've also read it may be the air bag clock spring?

Any ideas what it may be? I'm bringing it to a dodge dealership in a few days and just want some opinions before I pay for a diagnostic test.

Old 05-09-2015, 08:24 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Welcome to the forum Scurbin.

Your mechanic screwed up. When he changed the steering shaft he let the steering wheel turn. This destroyed the clockspring, that's the noise you heard. When it finally failed it caused the horn to sound and the airbag light to come on.

The clockspring connects the controls on the steering wheel to the fixed part of the steering column. It winds/unwinds as you turn the wheel.

What sensor was this other mechanic complaining about?

Do you have cruise? I bet it isn't working either.

Old 05-09-2015, 09:09 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 169 Likes on 154 Posts

sounds like you need a new competent mechanic that knows how modern steering columns work.

Old 05-09-2015, 10:51 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Competent mechanic very few of those most are hacks at best I don't let them near my Truck anymore.

I'm tired of fixing what they fix/break and paying for it.

Only thing I cant do is transmissions

Old 05-10-2015, 09:14 AM
scurbin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ah, gotcha! I don't remember which sensors, something in the ecu saying something was getting too much voltage (maybe the horn and why the fuse finally blew?). I don't have cruise or radio controls so I can't tell.

I don't think he intentionally made this mistake as he's a family friend, has been working on my vehicles for at least 8 years and would never rip me off. Maybe he did it unknowingly and didn't know about the clock spring.

Thanks for the input! I'm glad to hear it may be a smaller issue instead of a whole ECU!

Old 05-10-2015, 10:37 AM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

It's the clockspring, nothing more.

Old 05-10-2015, 12:15 PM
magnethead
Legend

the spring is $250 at dealer and $160 at oreilly's. You have to disarm the airbag system, remove the driver airbag, use a wheel puller to remove steering wheel, take the column covers off, pull the key cylinder out, and eventually you can get to it.

Old 05-10-2015, 02:18 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Your mechanic just cost you around $160 and a few hours labor of your time.

You should thank him appropriately

Will he ever admit to Fing up NO they never do it must have just happened at the same time I worked on it Don't blame me.

Last edited by 98DAKAZ; 05-10-2015 at 02:22 PM.
Old 05-10-2015, 03:14 PM
magnethead
Legend

From the FSM, secton 8O- restraints- clockspring- removal
Originally Posted by FSM
CLOCKSPRING (Continued)
REMOVAL
The clockspring cannot be repaired. It must be replaced if faulty or damaged, or if the driver airbag has been deployed.
WARNING: DISABLE THE AIRBAG SYSTEM BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANY STEERING WHEEL, STEERING COLUMN, SEAT BELT TENSIONER, OR INSTRUMENT PANEL COMPONENT DIAGNOSIS OR SERVICE. DISCONNECT AND ISOLATE THE BAT- TERY NEGATIVE (GROUND) CABLE, THEN WAIT TWO MINUTES FOR THE AIRBAG SYSTEM CAPAC- ITOR TO DISCHARGE BEFORE PERFORMING FUR- THER DIAGNOSIS OR SERVICE. THIS IS THE ONLY SURE WAY TO DISABLE THE AIRBAG SYSTEM. FAILURE TO TAKE THE PROPER PRECAUTIONS COULD RESULT IN ACCIDENTAL AIRBAG DEPLOY- MENT AND POSSIBLE PERSONAL INJURY.
NOTE: Before starting this procedure, be certain to turn the steering wheel until the front wheels are in the straight-ahead position.
(1) Place the front wheels in the straight-ahead position.
(2) Remove the driver airbag from the steering wheel (Refer to 8 - ELECTRICAL/RESTRAINTS/ DRIVER AIRBAG - REMOVAL).
(3) Disconnect the steering wheel wire harness connectors from the upper clockspring connector receptacles.
(4) Remove the screw that secures the steering wheel armature to the steering column upper shaft, which is located within the hub cavity of the steering wheel.
CAUTION: Be certain that the screws that secure the steering wheel puller to the steering wheel are fully engaged in the steering wheel armature with- out passing through the steering wheel and damag- ing the clockspring.
(5) Pull the steering wheel off of the steering col- umn upper shaft spline using a steering wheel puller (Special Tool C-3428-B).
(6) Remove the steering column opening cover from the instrument panel. (Refer to 23 - BODY/IN- STRUMENT PANEL/STEERING COLUMN OPEN- ING COVER - REMOVAL).
(7) If the vehicle is so equipped, grasp the tilt steering column **** firmly and pull it straight rear- ward to remove it from the tilt steering column adjuster mechanism lever located on the left side of the column just below the multi-function switch con- trol stalk.
AN
(8) From below the steering column, remove the two outboard screws that secure the upper shroud to the lower shroud.
(9) Push gently inward on both sides of the upper shroud near the parting line between the upper and lower shrouds to release the snap features that secure it to the lower shroud.
(10) Remove the upper shroud from the lower shroud.
(11) From below the steering column, remove the one center screw that secures the lower shroud to the steering column lock housing.
(12) Remove the lower shroud from the steering column.
(13) Disconnect the two instrument panel wire harness connectors for the clockspring from the lower clockspring connector receptacles.
(14) Remove the two screws that secure the clock- spring to the multi-function switch mounting housing (Fig. 9).
Fig. 9 Clockspring and Multi-Function Switch
1 - CLOCKSPRING
2 - LOCATING PIN
3 - SCREW (2)
4 - LOCKING PIN
5 - ENGAGEMENT DOWEL AND BOOT
(15) Remove the clockspring from the multi-func- tion switch mounting housing. The clockspring can- not be repaired. It must be replaced if faulty or damaged, or if the driver airbag has been deployed.
(16) If the removed clockspring is to be reused, secure the clockspring rotor to the clockspring case to maintain clockspring centering until it is reinstalled
on the steering column. If clockspring centering is not maintained, the clockspring must be centered again before it is reinstalled. (Refer to 8 - ELECTRI- CAL/RESTRAINTS/CLOCKSPRING - STANDARD PROCEDURE - CLOCKSPRING CENTERING).

Quick Reply: Airbag light on and horn not working.