2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Help with 2000 Dakota

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 08:08 PM
bdkiger
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with 2000 Dakota

Hi,

First time poster, long time lurker hoping to get some advice! I just purchased a Dodge Dakota 4.7 liter V8 and it did not have a key. I removed the cover around the steering column and spliced into the ignition, power and starter cables. I successfully got the vehicle to run, however the wheel is locked, the brake goes straight down to the floor if I touch it and the the truck will not shift out of park. I'm thinking it's either an anti-theft feature or it's because the ignition cylinder is still in and it's in the "off" position. Any input on why it won't shift/why the steering wheel is locked would be greatly appreciated. And also, if anyone has any recommendations for getting the lock cylinder out without a key, that would be great. I noticed there's a little pin on the side that pushes in, I pushed it as far as I could with a flat head and tried to turn the ignition with a flat head and also tried to pull it straight out... wouldn't budge. I'm at a loss as to where to go from here. I just need to get the truck started and off the old owner's property so I can bring it back to my garage and work on it.

Thanks!

Old 05-18-2015, 09:03 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

You need a key to remove the key cylinder. You push in on the pin and pull out the old cylinder.

The column is interlocked, with the key cylinder. It's an anti-theft device, locking the steering and the gear shift to prevent theft.

The brakes aren't affected. You have a problem with them - probably a leak.

A dealer should be able to cut you a key easily with proof of ownership.

Old 05-18-2015, 09:20 PM
bdkiger

Originally Posted by 00DakDan
You need a key to remove the key cylinder. You push in on the pin and pull out the old cylinder.

The column is interlocked, with the key cylinder. It's an anti-theft device, locking the steering and the gear shift to prevent theft.

The brakes aren't affected. You have a problem with them - probably a leak.

A dealer should be able to cut you a key easily with proof of ownership.
Thank you for the information, Dan! This is exactly what I thought and I'm glad you were able to confirm this for me. Are there any unconventional means of removing the lock cylinder? I've heard of drilling in order to get it out in other vehicles but I'm not sure if that would be a viable option in this instance. My goal is to get it out and replace it with a new cylinder. The one I'm looking at has the key included. I'd like to think that I could pay $50 for the new key and cylinder, install it, and then drive the truck as normal. Is it actually that simple or would the new key need to be programmed?

Edit: Also, if I were to get it out would I then be able to disable the anti theft system and drive it?

Last edited by bdkiger; 05-18-2015 at 09:38 PM.
Old 05-18-2015, 11:03 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

Therein lies a very good question. You don't know if the truck is SKIM (grey key) or not (black key). If it's a gray key, you'll still be at the dealership to make it run more than 15 seconds.

Old 05-18-2015, 11:11 PM
bdkiger

Originally Posted by magnethead
Therein lies a very good question. You don't know if the truck is SKIM (grey key) or not (black key). If it's a gray key, you'll still be at the dealership to make it run more than 15 seconds.
I'm not sure, the old owner didn't even remember what the key looked like. I'm trying to avoid the dealership as they charge an arm and a leg. Of course, if that's an inevitability then so be it. I'm going to try removing all the screws around the ignition and maybe drill out the small button button and hopefully I can get it to turn. I don't even want to attempt vice grips. I'm hoping that I can somehow bypass the anti-theft. I'm guessing that the only way around it would be to trick the car into thinking the key is on the "on" position. The truck ran today for roughly a minute and a half after I wired it. Does this rule out the possibility of it being the Grey key?

Old 05-19-2015, 05:16 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

There is no SKIM in '00 so that's not an issue.

For what you'll end up doing with to the column, a dealer or locksmith might be cheaper than replacing it.

Old 05-22-2015, 01:17 AM
bdkiger

Great news. I managed to get the car running and get it home. I'm thinking about a push button start and having a key and remote made for the doors. There's a lot of work ahead for this thing. lol

Quick Reply: Help with 2000 Dakota