2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Steering rack issue?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 07:29 AM
zeus661
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering rack issue?

I have an 02 Quad with about 185k miles and a 4.7. Been having issues with hard steering over the last several years. It is more difficult in the winter. Recently I had both power steering hoses replaced because they leaked. (about $700). I didn't really expect that the hoses were the issue.

The steering is a little easier but still too hard. Also now I have noticed it appears to hang up for a second when turning the wheel. I am guessing it is the rack and pinion.

What are you thoughts? Also this is a repair I will probably take to the dealer. What could I expect the cost to be?

Old 10-16-2015, 08:38 AM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

The problem may not be with the rack. It could be the steering intermediate shaft, the u-joint goes bad and makes it hard to steer. It is a fairly common problem, especially for people who live in cold/rust prone climates. You can spray the u-joints with silicone spray or WD-40 and it might help free it up for a while but it may be best to replace the shaft itself. I do not know much more about it, but Dakota Dan and some of the others here can and likely will post here and give you more info on it.

Jimmy

Old 10-16-2015, 09:12 AM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

I agree with Jimmy. It's very likely the intermediate shaft. Replacement is the solution, any oil/spray is only temporary at best. I'd try some penetrating oil just to see if it gets better.

If you do it yourself DO NOT let the steering column turn while you have it disconnected. You'll break the clockspring.

Old 10-16-2015, 10:20 AM
zeus661
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I were to raise the front end, start it up and turn the wheel do you think that would give any clues as to wether it could be the steering shaft? I have suspected it in the past and it does look like crap at the u-joints.

Old 10-16-2015, 10:55 AM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by zeus661
If I were to raise the front end, start it up and turn the wheel do you think that would give any clues as to wether it could be the steering shaft? I have suspected it in the past and it does look like crap at the u-joints.
Not really. You aren't isolating the steering shaft from the rack.

Try some penetrating oil/lube and see if it temporarily helps. The only real way to know is to disconnect it but you may as well change it at that point.

Old 10-18-2015, 02:23 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by 00DakDan
If you do it yourself DO NOT let the steering column turn while you have it disconnected. You'll break the clockspring.
And don't forget to put the shaft retainer back on at the rack end, or you'll end up like this guy. Steering shaft came off the rack and though the firewall going through the lights....

Quick Reply: Steering rack issue?