2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

What to replace while Dash is out?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 10:03 AM
geot58
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to replace while Dash is out?

Hey Guys, I have a 2000 Dodge Dakota SLT, 3.9 v6 quad cab. I have a shot A/C Evap core, and have been learning here how to do the repair myself. Along with the evap core, I'm going to replace the heater core and blower motor. I have heard I need to replace the blend door, from the parts list it looks to have 2, with the larger one being hard to find.

My question is there anything else I should replace while I'm in there?

Thanks in advance

Old 11-12-2015, 10:14 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 372 Likes on 343 Posts

All the weatherstripping and foam seals you have. Most of those can be redone with house weatherstripping from, say, Lowe's or Home Depot.

RwP

Old 11-12-2015, 10:55 AM
geot58

Originally Posted by RalphP
All the weatherstripping and foam seals you have. Most of those can be redone with house weatherstripping from, say, Lowe's or Home Depot.

RwP
Thanks Ralph, we'll do!

Old 11-12-2015, 11:41 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Not sure if the 2000 Dakota has the same funky seal goop on the HVAC box lid like my 98 Dak but getting all that crap back in place just wasn't going to work at least not seal it 100% so I used duct tape all around the lid to seal it as good as I could. You cant get all that crap back in place like new. My box had a broken lower foot vent mount and would rattle and not seal well also so I used silicone on it I used a lot I glued it to the box good thing I think it quieted that vent when in use something to look at and think about. If you can get a friend to help manhandle the box back in place do it.

Old 11-12-2015, 01:55 PM
geot58

Originally Posted by 98DAKAZ
Not sure if the 2000 Dakota has the same funky seal goop on the HVAC box lid like my 98 Dak but getting all that crap back in place just wasn't going to work at least not seal it 100% so I used duct tape all around the lid to seal it as good as I could. You cant get all that crap back in place like new. My box had a broken lower foot vent mount and would rattle and not seal well also so I used silicone on it I used a lot I glued it to the box good thing I think it quieted that vent when in use something to look at and think about. If you can get a friend to help manhandle the box back in place do it.
Ok thanks. I'm going to tackle it next week while I'm off.

Old 11-12-2015, 02:47 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

The round piece of foam that seals around the HVAC condensation drain. Between housing and firewall.

Old 11-12-2015, 08:57 PM
geot58

Originally Posted by TNtech
The round piece of foam that seals around the HVAC condensation drain. Between housing and firewall.
Got it, thanks for your help

Old 11-12-2015, 10:53 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

TNtech
Thats a good one if you forget that little foam seal condensation water will drip back into the cab floor. Also dont forget the little drain elbow that fits over it in the engine bay without that it can cause water to not drain away from the cab and can cause water leaking back into the cab.

Two very little things that can cause big problems

Old 11-13-2015, 08:24 AM
geot58

Originally Posted by 98DAKAZ
TNtech
Thats a good one if you forget that little foam seal condensation water will drip back into the cab floor. Also dont forget the little drain elbow that fits over it in the engine bay without that it can cause water to not drain away from the cab and can cause water leaking back into the cab.

Two very little things that can cause big problems

Thanks, we'll do

Quick Reply: What to replace while Dash is out?