2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Best aftermarket shocks & Tires ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 02:16 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 427HISS
Great, I'm sure they'll not only drive better than the 215's, but also look better !
They are also white lettered.

I did not even find out what wheel size I have, so are the 235's ok on the stock wheel width ?
What size do you have?

How can I be so excited about new tries ? lol !!!
Mine are stock Dakota Sport 15" aluminum wheels. I think the width is 8". The Geolandars should do fine on your truck.

Jimmy

Old 12-30-2015, 04:31 PM
427HISS
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 01SilverCC
Mine are stock Dakota Sport 15" aluminum wheels. I think the width is 8". The Geolandars should do fine on your truck.

Jimmy

Thanks Jimmy.

I like your quote by Ronnie Montrose !

Do you have any pics of your truck ?

Old 12-30-2015, 10:19 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Sorry, no pics on this laptop. I might have pics on my desktop, next time I fire it up I will check. The 235 series tires should make a big difference in handling and the white letters do look great. I have Firestone Destination LE2 235/75R15's mounted with the white letters out, my truck is silver and the tires do look good on it. I will have to get my truck repainted some time soon, the clear coat is just starting to crack and fade on the driver and passenger doors and it won't be long before delamination starts. Plus the hood and front bumper have more than their share of rock chips and scratches from everyday driving.

Autozone has the Ultra for a 2000 Dakota.

Front:

http://www.autozone.com/suspension-s...?checkfit=true

Rear:

http://www.autozone.com/suspension-s...?checkfit=true

The alternate part number listed is the Gabriel part number. The other one is the Autozone part number. You might find them cheaper online if you shop around but then you have to figure in the cost of shipping. Plus it may be better to buy in a store in case you need to get one of the shocks exchanged under warranty.

Jimmy

Old 12-31-2015, 11:43 AM
427HISS
Rookie

No problem, just post pics when you can.

I'm on the Auto Anything website now, and see they have the Gabriel's on sale for $20.44 each and Amazon is even higher. If their that nice, the price is great. On their site, there is a few bad reviews, but you know how that is !

Old 03-02-2016, 07:03 PM
427HISS
Rookie

Well, I'm finally getting back onto my thread.
With much help from you guys and a lot of research, I ordered everything my truck needed and assembled.

I got a great deal on 4- Yokohoma tires from Discount Tires Direct for
$86.00 each. I went a little taller and wider tires than the puny,....215/70/15 to 235/75/15.

Everything else I bought from my favorite,...new online store, Auto Anything.
I can not have more praise from this company !
They were very helpful with my many questions, concerns and have great prices ! They will price match or beat any other company out there, and will for 1 year after purchase !

I got the Power Stop Z23 Brake Kit and Centric Premium Brake's.
The fronts are drilled and slotted. Don't need them like I do with my 427 Shelby Cobra, but they were the same price on sale. I did not measure the drum thickness but their mighty and machined very well !

The big decision was which shocks, but ended up with the Rancho RS5000's. I thought being Rancho's they may be too stiff & harsh, and thankfully, their fantastic.

Before purchasing, I really though I may have to buy larger sway bars front & back, to get away from a lot of body roll, but after installing everything and braking-in the brake pads & shoes on a long street, the ride quality is amazing, even better than factory !

The roll is much,...less, the wider tires give a much better ride and are real quiet. The new tires I put on our Chrysler 300M are louder !

All & all, I'm very happy with everything so far. I'll see after a year of driving how I like them.

The retired owner of a local clutch and brake parts company (my bro-in-law's uncle) was very impressed with Centric rotors, drums, shoes and pads.

Total price from Auto Anything was $460.21.

http://www.autoanything.com/

Look at the difference between the old ***** small 215/70 tires and the new 235/75
This size should have been on the truck from the factory, for driving quality, stability and appearance !

I don't think,....I've suffered less GPH, but at 60 mph, the RPM's have only increased 100 RPM's. So that's great.

Now I may buy new exhaust !

So, I'm a very happy camper guys. Thanks for your advise and opinion's !

Kevin

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Our 2000 Dakota pic1.jpg (156.0 KB, 5 views)
P1070201.JPG (164.5 KB, 5 views)
P1070202.JPG (164.5 KB, 5 views)
P1070203.JPG (157.0 KB, 5 views)
P1070209.JPG (163.0 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by 427HISS; 03-02-2016 at 07:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Best aftermarket shocks & Tires ?