2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Starting the build process

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 12:24 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 164 Likes on 151 Posts

Had ongoing electrical issues with the reverse light circuit, so I moved the circuit tap from the dash to the frame rail (after C352). Just need to pull fuse 26 from the dash fuse block to make the circuit float.

Powerglide is on the bench for teardown and inspection before installation.

I have 3 weekends in a row off. The 3rd weekend is NHRA nationals so that might eat up those 2 days. I also have columbus day off work (I work in a public school system).

Plan is to have the old trans out this weekend if everything in the PG looks good (was supposed to have never been ran, but checking to make sure) and have the PG in by next weekend. I'll have the driveshaft built after that and install it the 3rd free weekend.

Or such is the plan.

Old 09-30-2017, 11:59 PM
magnethead
Legend

Ran into a smorgasbord of issues today.

Stock Band, Stock servo, sun gear forced into the drum, stock front pump bushing, and reverse clutch seats chewed to all hell (At least this was predicted). Also found a front pump bolt hole had the threads ripped out.

Ran to Summit, they stacked the 10% grand opening discount on top of the racer/pro-shop discount. So I saved a bunch of money. New Band, New Servo, and a front pump bearing. Fixed the sun gear by cleaning up the flange with the dremel, and put the case savers in for the reverse clutches and had to do a bunch of dremel work on the case and the savers themselves to get them to fit in properly.

Washed the case out in the solvent tank, ready for assembly tomorrow.

Old 10-01-2017, 08:55 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,298 Likes on 3,044 Posts

Polished case? And you are going to hide that under the truck? That's too pretty for that.

Old 10-01-2017, 11:22 PM
magnethead
Legend

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Polished case? And you are going to hide that under the truck? That's too pretty for that.
Can you believe that case has a manufacture date of 1999? It's actually in good condition.

Found a cracked reverse piston this morning. Luckily had the old one out of the dragster that was usable.

Old trans is all but ready to come out of the truck. Have 2 stubborn upper bellhousing bolts to try and dig out.

That magnet is the size of a dime. The amount of material stuck to it is the size of a cookie.

Old 10-02-2017, 08:53 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Did that one ingest some water???

Old 10-02-2017, 04:59 PM
magnethead
Legend

Not that I know of, but I have a small curiosity if there was an issue in the radiator. When i put it on the dedicated cooler, I put the proper plugs in both trans cooler ports in the event that there was some cross-contamination, but I drilled a 1/16" weep hole in the top plug. I haven't seen any moisture from/around it in the little bit I'd been running it in the driveway.

Old 10-02-2017, 07:22 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by magnethead
Not that I know of, but I have a small curiosity if there was an issue in the radiator. When i put it on the dedicated cooler, I put the proper plugs in both trans cooler ports in the event that there was some cross-contamination, but I drilled a 1/16" weep hole in the top plug. I haven't seen any moisture from/around it in the little bit I'd been running it in the driveway.
Yeah, I suppose if the internal cooler was compromised, when the cooling system started to build pressure, you would immediately see evidence of that at your weep hole. Just seems like a lot of water to be attributed to simple condensation though....

Old 10-03-2017, 12:35 AM
magnethead
Legend

Pulled the 42RE out. Used both jacks, a ratchet strap, a jackstand, and a cinder block. slowly worked it down and onto a skate.

Stabbed the powerglide bell on to check fitment, took it off, went to put the midplate on...hit the exhaust manifolds.

Took the midplate off, did some trimming on it and the shim, put them back on, all good. Bolted down the bell, checked crank sensor fitment. All good.

Popped it all back off, went through the living hell of getting the stock dowel pins out (the V8 block they popped out easy...truck block not so much), put the midplate, shim, and bell back on, and drove the new dowels through the bell into the block, so that I know for a fact that they are aligned.

Old 10-03-2017, 01:35 AM
magnethead
Legend

Some more photos.... (I'm assuming this is working)

Last edited by magnethead; 10-07-2017 at 11:44 PM.
Old 10-07-2017, 11:51 PM
magnethead
Legend

LOTS of progress today.

Quick Reply: Starting the build process