2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Starting the build process

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 11:03 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 152 Likes on 139 Posts

Scored a perfect condition black hood for $70 today. Got the intact grille frame and cracked grille for free :P

I'd gone to 4 or 5 other yards empty handed. They had it, I wanted it, it was 5:20PM and they close at 5:30. They said they could have it off first thing tomorrow.

Now mind you, I'm in full work clothes - nice embroidered polo shirt, khaki's, and office shoes.

"If you want my cash, you will get me a ratchet and 14 mm socket, and I'll be out of here in 5 minutes"

I paid the man and walked out with the hood and grille assembly. He locked the doors, on time, behind me.

A mix of Goof-Off and PB blaster took the writing right off the hood, doesn't look like it hurt the clear coat.

----

I'm not sure where that drip under the engine came from. I ran the truck at lunch, it had been dry the last several days, so it's a new occurrence. Wouldn't surprise me any if it's the water pump weep hole. I need to investigate it.

Last edited by magnethead; 11-01-2017 at 11:32 PM.
Old 11-01-2017, 11:26 PM
magnethead
Legend

Brief video with the re-tune

Old 11-03-2017, 09:51 PM
magnethead
Legend

I now have no idea what this thing actually stalls at. The fact that it wasn't pulling the motor down is why I stopped at 3,000. It has to be somewhere between 3500 and 4,000. I hope.

Old 11-08-2017, 10:06 PM
magnethead
Legend

truck is going to the exhaust shop tomorrow. This is going to be fun. Consulted with a local shop owner on some tricks to make it pass inspection a little easier, in regards to making codes go ready.

Old 11-09-2017, 09:33 PM
magnethead
Legend

Exhaust is on. Kind of neat watching the guy do his thing. I'd been getting pipes bent by him after work for the last few weeks, trying to mock it up at the house and see what would fit where. Also investigated a couple leaks. Turns out one is a water pump gone south...the pulley is just flopping around. I knew it was coming. Also managed to cut my forehead open while unstrapping the truck from the trailer.

I came in today and said "My part is done. You're the artist, it's time to make some three dimensional art."

Old 11-11-2017, 05:20 PM
magnethead
Legend

Changed the water pump this morning.

Old 11-14-2017, 12:13 AM
magnethead
Legend

Maiden voyage complete. No major issues.

One minor issue. Glazed the belt and pulley on the Alternator. Will have to go back to using the idler pulley. Voltage steadily dropped as I went, belt slipping across the pulley.

Got the front brake lines clipped up and away from the tire and ball joint, mounted the overflow reservoir, and filled up the tank.

Old 11-14-2017, 09:26 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Yeah, with the belt routed as it is in the pics, you just don't have enough belt to pulley contact for it to grip properly.

Old 11-14-2017, 11:35 PM
magnethead
Legend

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Yeah, with the belt routed as it is in the pics, you just don't have enough belt to pulley contact for it to grip properly.
Yea I think it was a 600K6 or something like that (60"). Imeasured with idler and it's 70" with the tensioner out. Picked up a 690K6 (69"), will see if that fits tomorrow. Worked 7:15AM to 10:15 PM today, I'm beat.

Old 11-24-2017, 02:02 AM
magnethead
Legend

Took 4 tries and a series of complications, but the truck is finally legal. Belt is properly routed. I still need to make a third mounting point for the power steering pump. Currently has 2+ year old oil in it, so i need to get it nice and hot then do an oil change. Also want to build a belly pan for it over christmas break if it doesn't get too cold. Will have to do a cardboard template, then get some steel sheet and dzeus fasteners and all that jazz.

I also got in on a group buy on DRTC for aftermarket non-production oil filter bosses that seal and flow better. Bought one for each motor.

Going to drop the V8 block by Mike Keith Enterprises at some point to have an engine cradle made and modify Richard/HiPoTek's motor mounts to use more of the existing holes in the block.

I re-tapped the accessory bracket for 5/16 bolts and mounted the mock-up AC compressor. I still need to attack the timing cover with the dremel to clear the ATI balancer.

Originally Posted by NHRA Rulebook
If belly pan is used, must extend from framerail to framerail and extend forward of the harmonic balancer and rearward to rear-engine plate and must incorporate a minimum 2-inch-high lip on all sides. A nonflammable, oil-absorbent liner mandatory inside of retention device.

Quick Reply: Starting the build process