2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Need Better Heat for winter

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 05:24 PM
David Dudemaine
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Better Heat for winter

Hi,
I looking for guidance on trying to obtain more heat out of my truck. The blower works and there is some heat coming out of it but I'd like more. I've done a reverse heater core flush recently and that helped a little bit. So here's the kicker....there are no AC lines in the truck. I don't think this has anything to do with the heating system but not certain. Temp gauge works fine too. I got a 97 Dakota 5.2 V8. Thanks

Old 11-03-2016, 05:58 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 169 Likes on 154 Posts

so is it a factory AC-delete truck?

The heater core flush is all I can think of. You might try alternating reverse and forward multiple times to loosen up anything in there.

Old 11-03-2016, 06:09 PM
David Dudemaine
Rookie

Thanks magnet head. I guess I will try that. I saw some people say use CLR and some say DONT. I think I even saw a radiator flush product at AutoZone. I don't know what an auto AC delete means though. But previous owner chopped out all the lines.

Old 11-03-2016, 07:33 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 169 Likes on 154 Posts

so it was a factory AC truck but a previous owner made it AC delete?

There is a difference in control systems from a factory AC delete truck (usually sold in northern states) and a truck that has been hacked up (if not done right). Who knows where your blend doors or recirculation doors are at compared to calibration.

Old 11-03-2016, 07:35 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Talking

You may have an out of adjustment mix door or a cab HVAC BOX air leak the Dakota is an air leaker if one foam seal rots or comes off you can get a massive amount of outside air leaking in.

The blue circle is usually the leaker if that soft foam comes off you have a 1 inch large crack.

Old 11-03-2016, 08:33 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 386 Likes on 347 Posts

Burp the system with heater turned to full hot and front facing uphill, or on jackstands. Run it with no radiator cap for around 15 minutes.

Old 11-03-2016, 08:52 PM
David Dudemaine
Rookie

So, I think everything is normal about the truck but the previous guy cut out the AC aluminum pipes. He also took out the compressor and no dummy pulley but whatever. Never heard of burping the system.

Old 11-03-2016, 11:02 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion

Where he cut out the A/C lines are the holes covered over or filled in if not that could be your air leak?

Im talking about on the firewall

How are your door seals are you leaking air that could be pulling in outside air so no matter how hot your heater may be the leaking air cools the cab its like having a window open.

Last edited by 98DAKAZ; 11-03-2016 at 11:10 PM.
Old 11-04-2016, 04:12 PM
David Dudemaine
Rookie

Thanks 98 Daks. My doors are slightly out of alignment which I'm gonna fix soon. I don't think the holes are capped. The heater is blowing warm air out but not sure if it's from the heat of the engine.

Old 11-04-2016, 05:50 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion

Tape the holes up see if things improve

The stock heater cores in the Dakota suck they are super constricted inside they plug up easy try the two way flush again you may get lucky.

Hows your water pump maybe its about worn out and your water flow is almost nothing do you over heat at times if so think water pump.

When you move the temp adjust or blend door back and forth you should hear the door flap if you dont hear that then the blend doors not working proper.

If you pull the glove box door off completely with a flashlight look back and the blend door leaver should be observable now watch it as you move the blend adjustment back and forth see if its working.

Check this out http://www.73js.com/mywebalbum/index.html

Last edited by 98DAKAZ; 11-04-2016 at 06:16 PM.