2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

limited slip differential?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 02:20 PM
mattsochist
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default limited slip differential?

how can you tell if you have a limited slip differential or not? i'm trying to change out the gear oil and need to know wether or not i need to get the special additive or not. i heard something about jacking up the rear end and turning one of the wheels and the other rear wheel will either turn opposite or in sync with it or....? i'm not sure exactly.... ?

Old 01-09-2017, 10:01 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Welcome to the forum Matt.

If you jack the rear and turn either wheel, if they turn in the SAME direction you have a limited slip. If they turn OPPOSITE each other then you have an open differential.

Dragging brakes can affect the above results.

There should be a tag on the differential OR you can find an options tag in the glovebox OR you can contact Chrysler for a build sheet - here:

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...ur-dakota.html

One other thing, it seems most gear oils now contain the additive, even if you don't need it. It won't hurt anything if you don't need it. I still put the correct additive in mine though.

Old 01-09-2017, 11:28 PM
mattsochist

thanks for the info 00DakDan!

Old 01-10-2017, 02:24 AM
1voyager1
Rookie

The build sheet is how I first knew that I had a limited slip.
How I check that everything is working properly is to drive onto a soft surface like dirt or gravel. Then, put it in gear and release the brake. Finally, jab the throttle pedal to the floor just long enough for the tires to give a short spin in the soft material. I have 4WD. There will be 3 scuff marks in the dirt, 2 rear and 1 front tire will spin a small amount leaving a scuff mark a little longer than the tires' contact surfaces. With a 2WD there will only be 2 scuff marks, the 2 rear tires.

If you don't have a Limited slip, in 4WD only 2 wheels will spin, 1 front and 1 rear. On a 2WD only 1 wheel will spin.

Last edited by 1voyager1; 01-10-2017 at 02:27 AM. Reason: More info.

Quick Reply: limited slip differential?