2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Setting backlash and pinion depth

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 10:00 PM
ra604
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well you gotta start somewhere, and there is no way I'm paying 800 or more bucks to have my diff rebuilt. Regardless, little late now as I am elbow deep in my diff. (Also not my first diff rebuild). I have the FSM and totally understand what I should be doing. I'm more just seeing if anyone else has cut the same corners with any modicum of success.

Old 03-05-2017, 12:02 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 169 Likes on 154 Posts

If the pattern looks good, I'd just go with it IMO.

I paid a shop for a gear swap, locker, and install....

Old 03-05-2017, 12:22 PM
ra604
Amateur

Yeah pretty much what I ended up doing. The pinion preload is actually pretty close after more careful inspection. Not saying I would never have gears rebuilt by a mechanic but it is something I would like to get better at and why not learn by doing ! (Again on a work truck ) either way filling it up today, see how it sounds.

Old 03-06-2017, 10:07 AM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Rebuilding a differential with used parts can be a real challenge. I think you're going close. The experience alone is worth it.

Old 04-07-2017, 09:01 PM
ra604
Amateur

Update: got everything back together filled with no leaks and it sounded great! Drove for a couple thousand kilometres all good. Annnnnnd here comes the but, today when I crawled under the truck I discovered the pinion seal is leaking and spitting oil around.. :|. It isn't leaking between the case and seal but rather the yoke and seal, so it seems. What could cause this! Considering it was good for 3 weeks of daily driving with no leaks ( checked last week). Checked breather valve on the notion that it might be positive pressure but everything seemed good there.

Lastly, I also checked the fluid level and it wasn't very low at all.... The yoke didn't have and major scoring either, is it possible the seal is just defective and burnt out ? I did put a small amount of oil between yoke and seal during assembly.

Mainly posting this to see if there is something I am missing... regardless I will replace the seal but probably just going to mark pinion nut / take torque reading with carrier in as there is no way I'm going through a full tear down AGAIN!

This is the current state.

P.S. no drips on pavement