2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2000 Sport 2.5L Power Steering Leak

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 07:06 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Its hard for me to say OK replace it but I will say reman/rebuilt anything is crap.

Only ebay has a NEW power steering pump available NOW how good is it...... don't know Im sure its made in China.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-Po...tWcfvg&vxp=mtr

This is the pump you need it doesn't come with a pulley so either buy a new pulley or remove your old one. Removing a pulley is so so installing one can be hard and not fun.

The pump says for a Jeep 2.5 but that is the engine you have.

The hose I recommend is GATES

Pulling the pump is easy the hard part is the pulley unless your lucky. Your pump removal may be a little harder on a 2000 as the tank is mounted by the battery putting it kind of in the way of things but still easy.

Last edited by 98DAKAZ; 06-29-2017 at 07:12 PM.
Old 06-29-2017, 08:28 PM
rickself
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Autozone has a reman Duralast for $58.99. Pulley for $14.
OReillly has a reman MasterPro (?) for $78.99.
I think I have to go with reman.

Old 06-29-2017, 10:04 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by rickself
Autozone has a reman Duralast for $58.99. Pulley for $14.
OReillly has a reman MasterPro (?) for $78.99.
I think I have to go with reman.
You haven't determined where the leak is yet. I would want to know that before I buy a pump or expensive fluid. It might be whining from lack of fluid when it gets low. Wash down the area with any engine cleaner and hose it off. Let it dry, then go for a drive and see where the leak springs from.

Don't know about your engine, but I converted my PS fluid to ATF years ago.

Old 06-29-2017, 10:16 PM
rickself
Veteran

I picked up some Gunk Heavy Duty degreaser gel tonight and will spray it on tomorrow afternoon. I should be able to get it clean and go for a drive Saturday and get a better idea of where the leak is coming from. I would really rather not have to replace the pump.

Old 07-05-2017, 11:50 AM
rickself
Veteran

Saturday I picked up the reman PSP, pulley, and new serp belt from AutoZone. The guy at AutoZone put the new pulley on the pump so all I had to do was remove the old one. Hoses seemed to be in good shape. Removed the old and installed the new on Monday. My body and muscles had long forgotten about the bending and twisting it has to go through to save a couple hundred bucks! But it was worth it. Even the AC, which I thought was a major contributor to the noisy running, sounds quieter. And NO puddle on the driveway! The power brakes don't need as much pressure. I suppose that has to do with better pressure in the system overall? Don't know, just happy my Sport is running better than it has in a long time.
Anyone have a recommendation for cleaning oil from a cement driveway? The Gunk degreaser stinks bad and hope to find something a bit more earth (and nose) friendly.

Old 07-06-2019, 03:23 PM
rickself
Veteran

Time to put on the new power steering hoses and I'm totally lost.
1). The high pressure hose has a sensor at the top. There is a hole on the upper end of the hose that I guess the sensor screws into
2). The return hose at the lower end - how the heck do I get the wrench in there to take that hose off?
I ordered the hoses through RockAuto and the part numbers matched.
I feel defeated before I even get one hose loose.

Last edited by rickself; 07-06-2019 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Sensor hole
Old 07-06-2019, 04:24 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Yep, sensor just screws in. Shouldn't be too difficult.

Crow foot line wrench, probably a universal joint, and an extension or three. They do make those fun to get to.

Old 07-06-2019, 04:37 PM
rickself
Veteran

I can get the wrench on the lower pressure hose fitting but won't budge. It scares me to smack the wrench with a rubber mallet.
Also, top of the pressure hose where it goes into the pump - do I have to loosen the copper nut also?

Old 07-06-2019, 04:40 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Hit the reluctant one with some chems, and then smack the wrench with hammer. Worst case, since you are replacing it anyway, cut the line, and put a six point socket on the nut. Works great. (for removing.....)

It *looks* like the line should unthread at the outer nut there???

Old 07-06-2019, 04:46 PM
rickself
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Hit the reluctant one with some chems, and then smack the wrench with hammer. Worst case, since you are replacing it anyway, cut the line, and put a six point socket on the nut. Works great. (for removing.....)

It *looks* like the line should unthread at the outer nut there???
I thought about just cutting the hose! Probably both. I have both replacements.
I put the pump in last year and brain cells have already forgot if the copper/brass nut was part of the pump body - it must be because it's not on the new hose.
As far as the other tools, I'm going to have to do without - I'm just a old guy who likes to think he knows what he's doing!
Thanks for the direction!