2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2000 Sport 2.5L Power Steering Leak

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 06:53 PM
rickself
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2000 Sport 2.5L Power Steering Leak

Hi all - two problems all of a sudden. The AC compressor issue I addressed in another post. This has to do with my power steering. I have a lot of leakage at the reservoir. I haven't involved myself in power steering so much and not even sure where the pump is located in reference to the reservoir. But all the leaked fluid is in the area of the reservoir. Is it at all possible that just the reservoir and not the pump itself is bad and needs to be replaced? My apologies for my ignorance on this - I can handle most things under the hood but power steering elements, and AC elements are beyond my scope of knowledge.

Old 06-28-2017, 07:19 PM
rickself
Veteran

To my amazement the power steering pump is behind the pulley above the belt tensioner.
Just took these pictures.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
ReservBot.jpg (386.9 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg
ReservCap.jpg (437.0 KB, 12 views)
Old 06-28-2017, 09:50 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

PS leaks can do funny things. If the pump itself is nowhere near, I would say replace the res or possibly the lines to it- might have a microcut that you can't see until the line is pressurized.

Old 06-28-2017, 10:57 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Looks like the cap may be the leak

But your problem may be you are over filling it if the cap is the leak as it should be only half full at any time.

One other possibility may be your fluid may be foaming up thus coming out the cap try dumping all the old fluid and use royal purple synthetic power steering fluid works great.

Have you ever replaced the fluid?

Those tanks are strong so unless you hit it hard I don't think it has a crack in it a hose maybe but I don't think so as the lines in and out should not be pressurized at all to cause a leak.

The fluid coming in the tank is usually being sucked out of the tank at the same rate.

I usually fill my tank higher than the marks on the caps dipstick and have never had a problem.

If you have never replaced the fluid in many many years you may need to dump the fluid a second time within a few months as when you dump the fluid all the old fluid never comes out. This very old fluid can contaminate the new fluid and kill it rather fast.

Last edited by 98DAKAZ; 06-28-2017 at 11:03 PM.
Old 06-29-2017, 12:18 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion

I will also say this not all power steering fluids meet the standards set for power steering fluids you would think they all should but some don't.

Old 06-29-2017, 11:42 AM
rickself
Veteran

Thanks 98DAKAZ.
I have never replaced the ps fluid. I'm usually really careful about overfilling anything.
In the picture of the bottom of the reservoir, one hose is not pushed up all the way. Don't know if this is enough to cause an issue but I'll try to seat it further up closer to the reservoir. I have always avoided something labeled synthetic but if you say good for ps fluid, I may investigate the price.

Is there a good safe degreaser that I can spray on and wash off at the car wash? I have a pressure washer but don't want the grease mucking up my yard!!

I think my plan of attack will be to replace the cap and fluid, along with a new serp belt before replacing the ps unit. Start at the bottom of the spending ladder!

Old 06-29-2017, 11:58 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion

Most anything should clean it

To drain the fluid remove the line from the steering rack should be easy it should have a hose clamp on it.

Old 06-29-2017, 12:29 PM
rickself
Veteran

Originally Posted by 98DAKAZ
I will also say this not all power steering fluids meet the standards set for power steering fluids you would think they all should but some don't.
I put Prestone in this morning because I was on my way to work and Walmart was the only thing open. AutoZone had Lucas and I'll look for the purple.

Old 06-29-2017, 01:22 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion

Prestone is good

Just looked online 12oz for $12 for Royal purple but you need two for your 2.5 if you drain it well.

Last edited by 98DAKAZ; 06-29-2017 at 01:32 PM.
Old 06-29-2017, 06:15 PM
rickself
Veteran

Before leaving work and my 30 minute drive on 70mph highway, I wiped down the reservoir top and sides. The PS wasn't whining when I left but by the time I got home, it was whining when turned. I checked the top of the reservoir and it appeared fairly clean. The hoses below seem wet. It's hard to tell if the PS pump is wet, but there are oily drops sprayed around the tops of the engine. I really don't have the lighting I'd like to have.
SO…
For a shade tree mechanic with the basic skills and tools to do the work, how much is involved with changing the pump? Should I change the hoses also? Seems like the high pressure hose is almost as expensive as the pump itself.