2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Transmission Interchange 97 Dak 3.9 engine

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 05:46 PM
Preacher Rob
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks and there is slack in the TV cable and I will unplug the 8 pin to make sure. I sure do like it that it doesn't slip. Oh the trans came out of a 98 Durango SLT with a 5.2 in it. I am not getting any lock out on my high end. To tell the truth I am a bit surprised the trans wasn't all that dirty inside there was some silt about like what you would expect to see. I am going to check that build tag again and pop the 8 pin out after supper.. Will get back in here after I know more...

Old 08-03-2018, 08:49 PM
Preacher Rob
Amateur

Well it shifts where I want it to.. of course there is only 1st, 2nd, 3rd without the automatic factor. I need to adjust it a little tighter but they are all there..Next I guess I need to just service it again (probably a good thing) and install new electronics.Anyone ever heard of Global Transmission parts? They have a nice package for under 150 for this trans with everything I will need..

Old 08-03-2018, 09:24 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 169 Likes on 154 Posts

If it sounds too good to be true, it's probably the last items off the board before the china tariffs were enacted.

Old 08-03-2018, 09:34 PM
Preacher Rob
Amateur

Ok to say it better I chose everything I thought I needed and it comes to around 150 I don't know if it is from china or not but I am not at all prejudice. I didn't really need a smart answer so I guess I will wait for someone else to answer. Not rich here so ....

Old 08-04-2018, 12:06 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

150 seems pretty cheap to me...... If you look on Ebay, there are a selection of folks selling kits what include all the internal electronics, plus the output speed sensor, filter, and gasket, for around 200. Just need fluid. Those kits are also the heavy duty borg warner governor solenoid. (better design than the stock unit.) I much prefer to spend a bit more the first time, but, only do the job once.

Old 08-04-2018, 04:24 PM
Preacher Rob
Amateur

The Governor Solenoid is a Borg Warner https://globaltransmissionparts.com/...d-borg-warner/ Lockout Harness https://globaltransmissionparts.com/...solenoid-ealy/ Pressure Solenoid Transducer https://globaltransmissionparts.com/...9-aftermarket/ The rest is a Spring and the Governor body solenoid Gasket. I still have to ad the Gasket and filter.. I have had trouble with some of the stuff from ebay not being what they say it is... Just thought I would throw the links up here .. Perhaps some of ya'll are paying to much for these items..

Old 08-04-2018, 06:53 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Wow, prices have come down quite a bit since last I checked. You can get the whole shebang off ebay for about 160.

Old 08-04-2018, 09:44 PM
Preacher Rob
Amateur

Ya I see that and I got it all for 143 with my 5% discount so I am happy. I didn't need the speed sensor I already had purchased one so I am good there. This trans seems strong and I can't hardly wait to have it running right. It just makes everything better when your Main toy is working and fun to play with..

Old 08-05-2018, 09:04 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Preacher Rob
Ya I see that and I got it all for 143 with my 5% discount so I am happy. I didn't need the speed sensor I already had purchased one so I am good there. This trans seems strong and I can't hardly wait to have it running right. It just makes everything better when your Main toy is working and fun to play with..
Gotta agree with that sentiment.

Old 08-21-2018, 04:49 PM
Preacher Rob
Amateur

Well hello folks I am back with the scoop I did everything to my trans except the speed control sensor Turns out I had the wrong one Let me recap... 97 Dak 3.9 4X4 and I put a trans in from a 98 Drango 5.2 and then went in and did the Gov and Transducer and the lock up solenoids and the Accumulator Spring... I have one little thing that is happening.. It shifts real well first to second but then wants to shift right away to third. My question is would that speed control sensor do this or the TV cable or did I perhaps miss something?? Any feedback would be helpful because everything else seems fine it just does that short shift... Thanks in advance for reading this..

Quick Reply: Transmission Interchange 97 Dak 3.9 engine